XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #111
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT
Carrera GT sounds good, other Porsches sound pretty bad, not even 1/10 of what a Ferrari sounds like. People who think Porsche sounds better than Ferrari are some serious fanboys, the King Joffrey of fanboys.

Everyone I know always uses the phrase "sounds good... for a Porsche" because a Porsches sound does not come close to other supercars.

Bottom line, Porsche sounds bad.
LOL

Thats your opinion and nothing more. There are far more who would disagree as Porsches sound phenomenal.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #112
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy
Quote:
Carrera GT sounds good, other Porsches sound pretty bad, not even 1/10 of what a Ferrari sounds like. People who think Porsche sounds better than Ferrari are some serious fanboys, the King Joffrey of fanboys.

Everyone I know always uses the phrase "sounds good... for a Porsche" because a Porsches sound does not come close to other supercars.

Bottom line, Porsche sounds bad.
LOL

Thats your opinion and nothing more. There are far more who would disagree as Porsches sound phenomenal.
LOL.. You love saying "that's your opinion" like all the things you post aren't opinions.

Believe me, more people will agree that Ferrari sounds better and that is undeniable. You prefer the sound of Porsche, that's fine. Comparing Porsche to Ferrari is like comparing current F1 cars to V8/V10 F1 cars. Ferrari is known for its sound, Porsche.. not so much. Each has its pros and cons.. But when it comes to exhaust and engine noise, Porsche just doesn't stand a chance.
      04-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #113
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

GT3's sound great. A flat plane V8 Fezza or a V12 sounds better.

Its not like Porsche and flat motors are unique. Ferrari built a flat 12 and HRM had an H16.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #114
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Sorry I'll take the Speciale. Most would. Sometimes it not just about lap times and raw numbers. Drive enough cars and you will understand that.

The only people that nuthug timesheets are the ones who have only driven their so called BMW "sportscars" and think they are in the know.

Both sides of the Ferrari and Porsche camp have their preferences. None are without merit. Guess what? It makes no difference to fans of fun and fast automotive enthusiasts and supercar owners.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #115
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Sorry I'll take the Speciale. Most would. Sometimes it not just about lap times and raw numbers. Drive enough cars and you will understand that.

The only people that nuthug timesheets are the ones who have only driven their so called BMW "sportscars" and think they are in the know.

Both sides of the Ferrari and Porsche camp have their preferences. None are without merit. Guess what? It makes no difference to fans of fun and fast automotive enthusiasts and supercar owners.
I agree except the BMW owner comment is off. There are more GM and GTR owners that recite lap times and numbers then BMW will ever have.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #116
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
LOL.. You love saying "that's your opinion" like all the things you post aren't opinions.

Believe me, more people will agree that Ferrari sounds better and that is undeniable. You prefer the sound of Porsche, that's fine. Comparing Porsche to Ferrari is like comparing current F1 cars to V8/V10 F1 cars. Ferrari is known for its sound, Porsche.. not so much. Each has its pros and cons.. But when it comes to exhaust and engine noise, Porsche just doesn't stand a chance.
Many would disagree with you.

Funny that when Harris drove the 997 GT3 and 458 he liked the GT3 better as a car and sound wise. Then when he drove the 991 GT3 and Speciale he again said the GT3 sounded better. Ferrari v8s sound like garbage at anything less than full tilt high in the rev range. The Porsches, especially the GT3s sound better at any rpm, have a nicer exhaust note and are pure motorsport in sound through and through.
As for a flat crank v8, Porsche does that better too as seen in the 918 Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #117
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
Nope, sorry the Scuderia sounds synthetic and fake too and pales in comparison to the noises from a GT3.

I have a friend who for years was the shop foreman for a very prestigious dealer in CT and could tell you some stories about Ferrari my friend. None of which sound good...
Lost credibility.
-Scuderia owner
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #118
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
Nope, sorry the Scuderia sounds synthetic and fake too and pales in comparison to the noises from a GT3.

I have a friend who for years was the shop foreman for a very prestigious dealer in CT and could tell you some stories about Ferrari my friend. None of which sound good...
Lost credibility.
-Scuderia owner
Sorry I simply don't like the sounds of the ferrari v8s at anything less than about 7k RPMs.
And yes, I find the sound synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #119
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Funny that when Harris drove the 997 GT3 and 458 he liked the GT3 better as a car and sound wise. Then when he drove the 991 GT3 and Speciale he again said the GT3 sounded better. Ferrari v8s sound like garbage at anything less than full tilt high in the rev range. The Porsches, especially the GT3s sound better at any rpm, have a nicer exhaust note and are pure motorsport in sound through and through.
And MUCH more would agree with me.

Good for you, you listed the opinions of another Porsche fanboy.
      04-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #120
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope. But thanks for playing.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #121
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

918 haha.. Harris said the Laferreri is the best sounding and said the P1 and LaF are in a league of their own above the 918. Porsche can't compete.
      04-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #122
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

918 haha.. Harris said the Laferreri is the best sounding and said the P1 and LaF are in a league of their own above the 918. Porsche can't compete.
Except that of all the track tests, the 918 has shown to be faster than the p1, and ferrari is too scared to have the laferrari compete against the 918 and a stop watch. Sounds like it's the p1 and laferrari are the ones who can't compete. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #123
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Man you're just impossible. First it sounds better, then it's faster. Paging Strawman to the white courtesy phone. Strawman.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #124
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Let's see what happens in this video.. And the LaF would destroy both since it traps almost 10mph more in the 1/4 mile than both of those cars.

04-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #125
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Let's see what happens in this video.. And the LaF would destroy both since it traps almost 10mph more in the 1/4 mile than both of those cars.

Ahh...I see, you're one of those guys who only cares about a straight line. All you did was help to prove my point so I thank you there. Even with less weight, more power, etc the P1 CANT BEAT THE 918 WHERE THEY WERE MEANT TO BE DRIVEN...ON A CIRCUIT.

I raise you real competition...on the track

Ferrari is too scared to watch its ugly, overpriced car lose to the 918 so they wont agree to have a stop watch clock them against the 918.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #126
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

No I'm not one of those guys.. Everyone cares about straight line speed. If the 918 was quickest in a straight line you would care about straight line speed also. Since 918 is not quickest, you conveniently don't care about straight line speed.

Straight line speed takes away all excuses.. Long track, short track, technical, high speed, tires.. Etc.. It's about raw power and speed.

Which is why companies quote 0 to 60, 100, 124, 186. Even though 0 to 60 is useless now.
      04-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #127
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Hey post that Anglesey video where the P1 destroys the 918. I can't seem to find it..
      04-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #128
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Quote:

The gt3 is truly a great sounding car, where the 911 turbo is not. Point being not all Porsches sound really good.

A Ferrari v12 or Lamborghini v10 v12 sound like they belong in a f1 race. A f1 race before they made the lame turbo engines.

Of course I am being little sarcastic with my statement. Generally speaking you want a truly great sounding car, it's going to be Italian and it's not going to have turbos
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #129
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
No I'm not one of those guys.. Everyone cares about straight line speed. If the 918 was quickest in a straight line you would care about straight line speed also.
LOL so true.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #130
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep

'
Quote:
Hey post that Anglesey video where the P1 destroys the 918. I can't seem to find it..
Actually wrong again.

The 918 BEAT the P1 on Angelsey. It wasn't until McLaren gave them an even stickier set of tires that it was able to beat the 918. So let's even it out and give the 918 the same set of tires and it will AGAIN BEAT THE P1. And to boot, they ran the 918 lap with the top off which causes additional drag and slows the car down. So not only did the 918 beat the P1, it did it at a disadvantage.
Funny how in the MT comparo, McLaren did many laps, had engineers there and were able to set the car up whereas Porsche just sends a 918 and wins without any type of special advantage.

BTW - when you're talking about about cars that do 200 plus MPH and the 918 being faster up to 120 mph or so and does 0-60 in 2.2 sec, 0-100 in under 5 seconds...I'd say thats fast enough for anyone and straight line speed is a moot point.

It's not just about power and speed but HOW you put the power down and where you carry speed which is far more important. Its a large part of the reason why a 991 GT3 demolishes a 458 Italia on track despite having 100 less hp...not to mention a superior chassis/suspension/balance in the GT3. And if you look at the lap from MT, the 918 being able to carry as much or more speed and put power down better is why its faster than the P1.

Last edited by Revcrazy; 04-30-2015 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #131
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
'
Quote:
Actually wrong again.

The 918 BEAT the P1 on Angelsey. It wasn't until McLaren gave them an even stickier set of tires that it was able to beat the 918. So let's even it out and give the 918 the same set of tires and it will AGAIN BEAT THE P1. And to boot, they ran the 918 lap with the top off which causes additional drag and slows the car down. So not only did the 918 beat the P1, it did it at a disadvantage.
Funny how in the MT comparo, McLaren did many laps, had engineers there and were able to set the car up whereas Porsche just sends a 918 and wins without any type of special advantage.

BTW - when you're talking about about cars that do 200 plus MPH and the 918 being faster up to 120 mph or so and does 0-60 in 2.2 sec, 0-100 in under 5 seconds...I'd say thats fast enough for anyone and straight line speed is a moot point.

It's not just about power and speed but HOW you put the power down and where you carry speed which is far more important. Its a large part of the reason why a 991 GT3 demolishes a 458 Italia on track despite having 100 less hp...not to mention a superior chassis/suspension/balance in the GT3. And if you look at the lap from MT, the 918 being able to carry as much or more speed and put power down better is why its faster than the P1.
Nope, wrong.. You want to try again? The P1 had tires that you can get from the factory, I see nothing wrong about that. 918 comes third when compared to LaF and P1. Sorry to break it to you, buddy.
      04-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #132
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Porsche is the poor mans "exotic/supercar".. It's usually the first car they purchase on their way to real supercars and exotics. It's not on the level of the big boys... Lap times aren't everything.