XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-08-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Exclamation Spark plugs and tunes

Hey guys

I got the ESS tune on my N63 with catless downpipes. When I got the tune my vehicle was at 25,000 kilometres, now it’s at 68,000 kilometres. It’s a 2010 which I got on 2013 so I’m assuming it’s still the original plugs and coils.

Would you guys recommend changing the plugs and coils? I’ve read that I should I be using the colder NGK plugs gapped at 0.20”.

I’ve noticed a rough idle and a couple times at parking lot speeds the vehicle sort of hesistated and then lost all power. After waiting a few minutes it restarted and the drivetrain malfunction error which appeared right before it shut off was gone.

I will be taking it in to get the codes scanned but would bad plugs or coils cause the DTM error and cause the vehicle to shut off?

In the past I recall the same thing happening where it would die or buck for an instant but then it would continue on like nothing happened and no error message.

It’s only occurred at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post
Hey guys

I got the ESS tune on my N63 with catless downpipes. When I got the tune my vehicle was at 25,000 kilometres, now it’s at 68,000 kilometres. It’s a 2010 which I got on 2013 so I’m assuming it’s still the original plugs and coils.

Would you guys recommend changing the plugs and coils? I’ve read that I should I be using the colder NGK plugs gapped at 0.20”.

I’ve noticed a rough idle and a couple times at parking lot speeds the vehicle sort of hesistated and then lost all power. After waiting a few minutes it restarted and the drivetrain malfunction error which appeared right before it shut off was gone.

I will be taking it in to get the codes scanned but would bad plugs or coils cause the DTM error and cause the vehicle to shut off?

In the past I recall the same thing happening where it would die or buck for an instant but then it would continue on like nothing happened and no error message.

It’s only occurred at low speeds.
I Just put the ESS tune on mine and I am loving it so far, really wakes the Engine up!

As for your issues, possible coils/plugs but sounds like it may be something more serious if the engine lost all power, usually a few bad coils or plugs will make you go into limp mode and it usually happens under boost and higher rpm.

With that being said, replacing your plugs and coils at your mileage is great place to start. Go with Eldor coils from Fcpeuro and NGK plugs work great, I have had them in mine for the past 20K miles

Get yourself a code scanner, trust me your going to need it. Foxwell makes several withe BMW software on it to read all the BMW specific codes that work great, or get the protools app or go all out at grab a laptop and load up ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I Just put the ESS tune on mine and I am loving it so far, really wakes the Engine up!

As for your issues, possible coils/plugs but sounds like it may be something more serious if the engine lost all power, usually a few bad coils or plugs will make you go into limp mode and it usually happens under boost and higher rpm.

With that being said, replacing your plugs and coils at your mileage is great place to start. Go with Eldor coils from Fcpeuro and NGK plugs work great, I have had them in mine for the past 20K miles

Get yourself a code scanner, trust me your going to need it. Foxwell makes several withe BMW software on it to read all the BMW specific codes that work great, or get the protools app or go all out at grab a laptop and load up ISTA.
It’s definitely a game changer. Compared to stock it’s a completely different beast, gobs of power. I’m hoping it’s the plugs and coils and not something expensive. I have the activehybrid and while it was under warranty I had a number of repairs done.

I know of the scanners but at this point I think it’s just a waste. I don’t plan on keeping the vehicle more than a year or so. I’ve had it since 2013 and although it’s been good for the most part, repairs are expensive so I’d rather just trade it in for a newer one.
Appreciate 0