XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #23
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Meanwhile my 2012 X5M has 105k miles on it, a stage 1 tune, and will be upgrading turbos and various other things soon to squeeze more power out of it. No problems yet, just routine things like coils that couldn't handle the increased load.

If you can't do your own work, or you can't afford to pay someone else to do it, you shouldn't own an out-of-warranty BMW. That's been the rule for years.

And if you bring your car to a dealership for repairs, you really deserve to have your wallet emptied lol.
      07-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #24
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

What told you it was the coils? I've thought about replacing mine just for the hell of it but it's a monster with my current mods and I'm having no issues with power.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroclast View Post
Meanwhile my 2012 X5M has 105k miles on it, a stage 1 tune, and will be upgrading turbos and various other things soon to squeeze more power out of it. No problems yet, just routine things like coils that couldn't handle the increased load.

If you can't do your own work, or you can't afford to pay someone else to do it, you shouldn't own an out-of-warranty BMW. That's been the rule for years.

And if you bring your car to a dealership for repairs, you really deserve to have your wallet emptied lol.
Aren't we an arrogant. Don't assume my financial status. It' just makes an ass out of yourself. 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #26
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
What told you it was the coils? I've thought about replacing mine just for the hell of it but it's a monster with my current mods and I'm having no issues with power.
My tell, besides the obvious CEL, was the black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeST View Post
Aren't we an arrogant. Don't assume my financial status. It' just makes an ass out of yourself. 👍
I'm assuming he meant that as a general statement vs directly towards you.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #28
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My tell, besides the obvious CEL, was the black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I didn't have a CEL right away before my injectors went out, but I did experience black peppering all over the rear. It wasn't until a run doing over 140mph that I got my first reduced power warning, CEL and misifiring like crazy. I reset the code, still made my 30 min drive home and all was good...until the next morning when cold idle was a lumpy mess as it plummed white smoke. I've replaced the injectors and still have continued modding, but I still haven't gotten anything that points me directly to the coils like black smoke. I'm putting in meth this weekend so I'll just order them for the hell of it. Where's everyone buying them? I've seen ECS has a nice premade setup for the S63TU but not us.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #29
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I had been thinking of getting a X5M myself but the idea just went out the window. I have a 50i now with 95K miles and recently did the valve stem seals covered under CPO. It's still burning 1 quart around 500-700 miles. Otherwise, the truck has been very good. I think BMW V8's have never been nowhere near as good as their 6 cylinders (Inline 6's). I can do some some the work myself as I have over the years but some things are just getting ridiculous. Ahhh...those M30 motors..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #30
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Do you have any reference to what part number you used or what year and model it came from?

Thanks!

GH
I don't recall at the moment but I'm guessing it can be compared via part numbers and how it'll show revisions on www.realoem.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #31
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

As someone looking to purchase an X5M, I really appreciate this thread and the different viewpoints. It all makes sense I'm taking a little bit from everyone. I've lived in NYC and took my BMW to that same dealership before. It was just for an oil change while it was still under CPO warranty.
I hope people think twice before modifying their cars. I'm not saying not to, but do your homework and understand what you are doing. My supercharged Z3 is highly modified and I've learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #32
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
I didn't have a CEL right away before my injectors went out, but I did experience black peppering all over the rear. It wasn't until a run doing over 140mph that I got my first reduced power warning, CEL and misifiring like crazy. I reset the code, still made my 30 min drive home and all was good...until the next morning when cold idle was a lumpy mess as it plummed white smoke. I've replaced the injectors and still have continued modding, but I still haven't gotten anything that points me directly to the coils like black smoke. I'm putting in meth this weekend so I'll just order them for the hell of it. Where's everyone buying them? I've seen ECS has a nice premade setup for the S63TU but not us.
I don't want to change the topic of this thread but what are your plans for water/methanol injection. I'm preparing to do this on my Z3M. This is probably the only mod I'll can see myself doing to the X5M. I don't really see how CAI makes much of a difference with these engines. Well there's lots for me to learn about this engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #33
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The smoke was only on initial cold startup. After that it was the black peppering all over the rear bumper. The new injectors are "suppose" to be a fix. I forget the serial number but they're designated on top of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #34
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I don't want to change the topic of this thread but what are your plans for water/methanol injection. I'm preparing to do this on my Z3M. This is probably the only mod I'll can see myself doing to the X5M. I don't really see how CAI makes much of a difference with these engines. Well there's lots for me to learn about this engine.
I was fortunate enough to get a JB4 before Terry decided to stop selling them. I'm using it to control a standard BMS meth setup with a 2.3g tank and dual CM7's that I need to upgrade to CM10's. I wanted meth anyways for its intake cleaning (fortunately our intake is upside down vs the N54, so we don't get as much build-up as them, but still) and cheap octane additions. It wasn't until I felt the power difference driving in Washington's 30°-60° temps vs California's 80°+ temps...these things are very sensitive to temps and I could totally feel thw ddifferences. The intake helped with sound, it's great, but I've read it'll only add around 20hp. Mine is completely custom and I've never done a before and after like RK did with theirs.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #35
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The smoke was only on initial cold startup. After that it was the black peppering all over the rear bumper. The new injectors are "suppose" to be a fix. I forget the serial number but they're designated on top of them.
I'd imagine smoke at startup would be valve stem seals but who knows. I went from index 9 to index 12 injectors and the peppering is completely gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 08:47 AM   #36
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
I'd imagine smoke at startup would be valve stem seals but who knows. I went from index 9 to index 12 injectors and the peppering is completely gone.
What made you gap your plugs?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #37
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm using gaps recommended on the S63TU boards as to what they're running when pushing the same amount of boost.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #38
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm using gaps recommended on the S63TU boards as to what they're running when pushing the same amount of boost.

Yeah, that's where I did my research as well.

What did you gap yours to between .018 & .022? See any difference/benefit?

EDIT: Ignore the first question. I just noticed that sometimes it shows your sig and sometimes it doesn't. BUT I did come across an older post that showed in your sig that you're at .020".

I'm still curious about any benefits you experienced with gapping or going two steps colder. At the moment I have Velos Stage 2+, RK Intakes, and axle-back exhaust. I get a "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" at WOT only in Sport/Power in 4th-5th gear...message pops up, but I'm not really going into limp mode and it's gone upon restart with no stored codes. I'm hoping that gapping the plugs will resolve my issue. Again, sorry for jacking the thread.

Last edited by mirob; 07-11-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #39
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I dont mind at all. If anything it shows the contrary to my experience, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #40
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post

Yeah, that's where I did my research as well.

What did you gap yours to between .018 & .022? See any difference/benefit?

EDIT: Ignore the first question. I just noticed that sometimes it shows your sig and sometimes it doesn't. BUT I did come across an older post that showed in your sig that you're at .020".

I'm still curious about any benefits you experienced with gapping or going two steps colder. At the moment I have Velos Stage 2+, RK Intakes, and axle-back exhaust. I get a "Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power" at WOT only in Sport/Power in 4th-5th gear...message pops up, but I'm not really going into limp mode and it's gone upon restart with no stored codes. I'm hoping that gapping the plugs will resolve my issue. Again, sorry for jacking the thread.
I was experiencing misfires due to running higher boost with the combination of a stage 2 tune and stacked with JB4. I was also sent a link to NGK stating their reasoning as to why anyone pushing higher than stock power should go colder, so I followed their advice. Misfires due to higher boost isn't a defect, it's a given and should be expected, JeST. I've switched to two steps colder, copper plugs (they read better when visually checked) and tighter gaps on the Harley when I went fully built. In this case, I just went two steps colder with tighter gaps since between my current mods and adding meth, two steps made more sense. Haven't had a misfire since.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #41
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Was getting codes and they were getting old. Figured it was that or plugs. I replaced the coils which fixed it, then did colder plugs because of the increased boost.

Quote:
I wasn't assuming your financial status. It was a general guideline to anyone reading this and thinking about a BMW or X5M. They are expensive, extremely complicated, highly tuned vehicles. If you buy one expecting nothing to go wrong, you have the wrong mentality for owning one. Personally I think anyone who doesn't do their own work and owns an OOW BMW is silly. But if you're rich and have the cash to through at stealerships, or a good indy, more power to you.
      07-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

That's downright scary. Love my BMWs, but I'll never own an X5 out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #43
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was experiencing misfires due to running higher boost with the combination of a stage 2 tune and stacked with JB4. I was also sent a link to NGK stating their reasoning as to why anyone pushing higher than stock power should go colder, so I followed their advice. Misfires due to higher boost isn't a defect, it's a given and should be expected, JeST. I've switched to two steps colder, copper plugs (they read better when visually checked) and tighter gaps on the Harley when I went fully built. In this case, I just went two steps colder with tighter gaps since between my current mods and adding meth, two steps made more sense. Haven't had a misfire since.
Were you misfiring all the time or only at WOT? Was it ever idling rough?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:34 AM   #44
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Only at WOT. It'd been mentioned that idle may be lumpy but my idle is complety fine.
Appreciate 1
mirob3034.50