XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
Georgepascal
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5d

26mpg... is that normal for a 35d?

I m averaging around 26mpg and i wonder if that is normal or not. I just bought the X6, its a 2008 model & it has 9500miles on it. No messages, alerts for errors etc, according to the service records, no service made so far....
Note: i ve checked the psi, was 2.6 in all four tyres and i correct it to 2.0psi..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

In a word NO, unless you are town diving all the time, I average 31MPG going up too 35/37 touring, mine has been bought new and now I have 7800 miles covered, seems to get better with miles. My tyre pressures are fronts 36PSI, rears 40PSI, hope this helps, check them once a month.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

When referencing MPG, please note imperial or U.S. gallons.

The X5 diesel is rated at 28MPG highway in the U.S. Our EPA estimates are conservative in most cases so the X5 diesel should hit 30-31MPG highwar in real life, add 20% more for imperial gallon conversion.

To me, 26MPG seems realistic for imperial gallons. It really depends how you drive.
      05-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

i think 26 amazing - i am expecing 12l/100km in the city for my 35d, that equates to 23 mpg (imp)....

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

13,2 litres per 100km..all in city with 21 inches wheels!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Georgepascal
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5d

xx/mpg after reseting

ok guys... it seems that something s going wrong either with my car or my driving 'style'. But I ve got one more question to try and sort things out:
Do you reset the computer every time you start the engine and then you read the outcome at the end of your trip? My 35d gives 26mpg but i never reset the computer since the 1st day i got it...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well you can reset computer and drive it until you burn first tank and then check again...but normal result is around 13 liters!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepascal View Post
ok guys... it seems that something s going wrong either with my car or my driving 'style'. But I ve got one more question to try and sort things out:
Do you reset the computer every time you start the engine and then you read the outcome at the end of your trip? My 35d gives 26mpg but i never reset the computer since the 1st day i got it...
again - 26 mpg is amazing. you should not be complaining - be happy

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepascal View Post
The most accurate way to measure MPG is to fill the tank and reset the trip meter.

When you fill up again, divide the gallon purchased into the miles on the trip meter.

Don't trust the computer. It is fairly accurate but shows MPG over time unless reset.
      05-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

There should be two indications for mpg. The computer will keep track of one that it has accumulated since the first time your car was driven and the other is one that you can reset at any given time. The one that the computer always keeps will show you the mpg for overall performance and will include any driver and any driving style. This is your TRUE mpg performance indicator.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #11
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The most accurate way to measure MPG is to fill the tank and reset the trip meter.

When you fill up again, divide the gallon purchased into the miles on the trip meter.

Don't trust the computer. It is fairly accurate but shows MPG over time unless reset.
The problem with that is that the volume of petrol or diesel you fill your tank is susceptible to temperature variation.Sometimes, it will take 22 gallons to fill your tank and some other time, it might be less or more depending on atmospheric conditions.
The computer is actually accurate because it delivers the fuel to the cylinders at a given pressure, and because of this, it can accurately compute how much fuel is consumed.
With regards to resetting the mpg everytime you fill your tank- that is the best thing to do to get an appropriate usage per tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
The problem with that is that the volume of petrol or diesel you fill your tank is susceptible to temperature variation.Sometimes, it will take 22 gallons to fill your tank and some other time, it might be less or more depending on atmospheric conditions.
The computer is actually accurate because it delivers the fuel to the cylinders at a given pressure, and because of this, it can accurately compute how much fuel is consumed.
With regards to resetting the mpg everytime you fill your tank- that is the best thing to do to get an appropriate usage per tank.
+1

In addition to that, unless you ALWAYS use the exact same gas station and the exact same pump to get your gas, there is no guarantee that you will end up with the same amount of gas. Some pumps start to count before it even comes out of the end of the hose, but will stop counting the second you cut it off. And who knows how 'accurate' the pump actually is. Just do a Google search and you can find all kinds of interesting articles from gas station all over the place that were scamming consumers out of gas by having the counter run faster than the actual gas pumped, etc.

In regards to the temperature variation you mentioned, every pump has a sticker that states what the volume is equalized to. Funny thing is that you hardly ever have that as an ambient temperature
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
+1

In addition to that, unless you ALWAYS use the exact same gas station and the exact same pump to get your gas, there is no guarantee that you will end up with the same amount of gas. Some pumps start to count before it even comes out of the end of the hose, but will stop counting the second you cut it off. And who knows how 'accurate' the pump actually is. Just do a Google search and you can find all kinds of interesting articles from gas station all over the place that were scamming consumers out of gas by having the counter run faster than the actual gas pumped, etc.

In regards to the temperature variation you mentioned, every pump has a sticker that states what the volume is equalized to. Funny thing is that you hardly ever have that as an ambient temperature

You are absolutely right, they used to post the calibration parameters before (temp and pressure) on the pumps. It is a hard press to find them on the pumps these days. I noticed the ones in Canada still post the temp and pressure under which the pumps are calibrated
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
mkaresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 Lexus GS 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
When referencing MPG, please note imperial or U.S. gallons.

The X5 diesel is rated at 28MPG highway in the U.S. Our EPA estimates are conservative in most cases so the X5 diesel should hit 30-31MPG highwar in real life, add 20% more for imperial gallon conversion.

To me, 26MPG seems realistic for imperial gallons. It really depends how you drive.
Anyone know which the BMW trip computer is using outside the US? Cyprus was under British control at one point, so maybe Imperial?

TrueDelta has a Gas Mileage Survey that includes more variables than most, and that performs a three-way unit conversion. Only response response for the X6 so far, and that one for the TT gas engine.

Real-world BMW X6 gas mileage

More for the X5--diesel is at the bottom:

Real-world BMW X5 gas mileage
Appreciate 0