XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

very disturbing problem over the weekend

i was driving on saturday night, i was in manual and i noticed when i was downshifting, the rpm wasn't responding like normal, then a light came on the HUD and the dash, "engine malfunction, horsepower reduced" the message went away after 2 minutes, the truck is fine now, anyone have any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitethesnapper View Post
i was driving on saturday night, i was in manual and i noticed when i was downshifting, the rpm wasn't responding like normal, then a light came on the HUD and the dash, "engine malfunction, horsepower reduced" the message went away after 2 minutes, the truck is fine now, anyone have any thoughts
You should DEFINITELY bring the car into the dealership and get that checked out ASAP!

I think someone else had posted something similar not too long ago here. The ECU should have a history of the issue you experienced and they can read the error log at your dealership.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
bbdamon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6

High pressure fuel pump problems!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
You should DEFINITELY bring the car into the dealership and get that checked out ASAP!
Yes don't wait on this car should have been at dealer Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I would take it in as soon as possible. It definitely should have thrown a fault code so let us know once you find out the issue.

Is your X6 a 2008 or 2009 model?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Yes - high pressure fuel pump exactly. I had the same thing but hadn't gotten around to posting it. Happened on the weekend; made a service appt online for first thing Mon AM and was on my way fixed by noon. Not any fun limping around in HP reduced mode. You may get some relief by restarting the car after its warm but be careful not to push because it will re-enter the HP reduced mode whenever you accelerate anywhere near normal
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

my truck is a 2009, i only drive it on the weekends, i am bringing it to the dealer this friday, i will keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

it was the fuel pump, problem with the pressure
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it was the fuel pump, problem with the pressure
Did they replace the fuel pump?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Did they replace the fuel pump?
they actually didn't replace it despite my insisting, they said it wasn't necessary

low and behold it happened again today!

this thing is going back tomorrow and they better replace it, and to boot, another check engine light came on!

do you think it could be something else?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

fuel pump problem?

find out what is causing the problem if pump replacement is not req'd
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
they actually didn't replace it despite my insisting, they said it wasn't necessary

this thing is going back tomorrow and they better replace it, and to boot, another check engine light came on!

Wow, sorry to hear you got the same problem again. Did you get a check engine light before too? Do you get any additional or more specific warnings via the iDrive screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear you got the same problem again. Did you get a check engine light before too? Do you get any additional or more specific warnings via the iDrive screen?
there is no other warning/info in the idrive, the message just pops up and the engine icon comes on the HUD and the between the gauges and the power justs drops right off. after you restart the truck is back to normal, it is really annoying to go though but waht's more bothersome is bringing this thing to the dealer where they just manhandle it. i am very meticulous about how i treat my truck and they just don't show any regard for it when i bring it in. my brother has an '09 as well, his came out with a door ding and they won't fix it! i just can't stand bringing it to thedealer, but i guess i have to
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
there is no other warning/info in the idrive, the message just pops up and the engine icon comes on the HUD and the between the gauges and the power justs drops right off. after you restart the truck is back to normal, it is really annoying to go though but waht's more bothersome is bringing this thing to the dealer where they just manhandle it. i am very meticulous about how i treat my truck and they just don't show any regard for it when i bring it in. my brother has an '09 as well, his came out with a door ding and they won't fix it! i just can't stand bringing it to thedealer, but i guess i have to

Interesting when i take mine into the dealer there is a walk around with a graphic of the car, any dings,etc are note as you have to sign for it. I guess this keeps everyone out of trouble.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:

That's really disappointing. I've loyally driven American cars for many years, and have to admit they've gotten fairly scientific about diagnosing problems, but then again most American cars are far less complex then a high end European car. I think what I'm really tired of is the disrespect issue and I don't like propping up a poorly managed manufacturing sector.

The BMW dealer I visited the other day was very nice and respectful - no pressure whatsoever. I'm was hoping when I switched to BMW they would be a cut above in service and dealing with their clients.

I'm surprised they didn't give you an indication of what they did fix.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
That's really disappointing. I've loyally driven American cars for many years, and have to admit they've gotten fairly scientific about diagnosing problems, but then again most American cars are far less complex then a high end European car. I think what I'm really tired of is the disrespect issue and I don't like propping up a poorly managed manufacturing sector.

The BMW dealer I visited the other day was very nice and respectful - no pressure whatsoever. I'm was hoping when I switched to BMW they would be a cut above in service and dealing with their clients.

I always get paperwork when my car goes in, I file it for reference.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Interesting when i take mine into the dealer there is a walk around with a graphic of the car, any dings,etc are note as you have to sign for it. I guess this keeps everyone out of trouble.
Same here. Every time I have to bring in the car for whatever reason, I have to do a walk around the car with the SC to mark down whatever dings, scratches or other blemishes may be present on the car. This works both ways and protects them as well as you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post

So far I'm quite happy with my dealership in regards to the service they have performed on my cars. Never had an issue of any sorts with either the cars or the dealership. The only 'issue' I had so far (if you can call it that) was that on my wife's car, a message popped up on the iDrive that the car was basically complaining that the oil level was below minimum. I did the calibration through the iDrive but it kept telling me that the oil level was too low. So I drove it to the dealership, they topped off the oil and not even 5 minutes later I was back out the door. The day after the same message popped up so I took it back and they told me that it may be the oil level sensor. So I made an appointment and the following week, I brought the car in and about 40 minutes later they had the oil level sensor replaced, put new oil in and the car washed on the outside and all the floor mats cleaned. All was covered by warranty. Since then it has not sown up again.
So far I only had to see the service department for scheduled maintenance appointments (when the cars tell me it's time to go see them). And so far, it hasn't cost me anything other than my time

So far BMW's service has been outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I always get paperwork when my car goes in, I file it for reference.
+1

Same here, I keep all my paperwork... just in case

When I bring my cars in for service and I get paperwork back, I ask them to tell me what exactly they did (which so far they were always kind enough to tell me) and I take a look if the paperwork reflects it, so I have a reference in the future if I ever need it (which I hope I won't).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
So far I'm quite happy with my dealership in regards to the service they have performed on my cars. Never had an issue of any sorts with either the cars or the dealership. The only 'issue' I had so far (if you can call it that) was that on my wife's car, a message popped up on the iDrive that the car was basically complaining that the oil level was below minimum. I did the calibration through the iDrive but it kept telling me that the oil level was too low. So I drove it to the dealership, they topped off the oil and not even 5 minutes later I was back out the door. The day after the same message popped up so I took it back and they told me that it may be the oil level sensor. So I made an appointment and the following week, I brought the car in and about 40 minutes later they had the oil level sensor replaced, put new oil in and the car washed on the outside and all the floor mats cleaned. All was covered by warranty. Since then it has not sown up again.
So far I only had to see the service department for scheduled maintenance appointments (when the cars tell me it's time to go see them). And so far, it hasn't cost me anything other than my time

So far BMW's service has been outstanding.
I appreciate the info.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1

Same here, I keep all my paperwork... just in case

When I bring my cars in for service and I get paperwork back, I ask them to tell me what exactly they did (which so far they were always kind enough to tell me) and I take a look if the paperwork reflects it, so I have a reference in the future if I ever need it (which I hope I won't).
what dealership in the gta do you go to?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
champee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 50i

Hi guys, i just bought a BMW X6 50i. I haven't even driven the car for up to 200 miles! Two days ago, i drove the car almost on an empty fuel tank. The fuel level was very low. Suddenly the 'CHECK ENGINE LIGHT' just came on! I don't know what could be the cause of this. Any idea guys? Please help. I'm really worried
Appreciate 0