XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 4.8i X5

Water in trunk area 4x4 ABS DSC Parking Brake Malfuntion

Hey guys,

I've recently been getting several codes (main ones are 5F39:transfer case internal error & 5F56:CAS-Error: KL-15 Signal invalid) coming up intermittently. 4x4, ABS, DSC, Parking Brake Malfunction, & the odd electrical system malfunction, do not drive blah blah... At first I thought it was a failing battery but voltage readings are good & alternator works fine. So I decided to take a look at the battery to see if I can find anything else.

This is what I came across... water everywhere in the trunk area of my 08 4.8i X5. Looks like it's coming from a bad seal in the right taillight as there is condensation in the plastic housing of the light.

Are there any drain holes in the trunk compartment? Any idea on how to get rid of the water? I've tried soaking it up with towels but can't seem to get all of it. I can hear it sloshing around while driving

Any idea if the Parking Brake Malfunction, ABS, DCS, 4x4 are separate from the Electrical system malfunction codes? Parking Brake seems to engage and disengage normally. Only odd thing is when maneuvering at slow speed sometimes it seems like one wheel isn't turning and skids. (Brake being applied due to confused ABS system?)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Soaked trunk area

Water on Battery terminals

Water under battery

Right side compartment

Left side compartment
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I have heard of this in 5-series sedans, a known problem, but not in X5's... I would def want to dry that water up ASAP, thoroughly dry all the components, and seal the area it is entering, as this could fry any components in your trunk bay. Not sure how to make sure you get it all though, just keep at it.
Sounds like you have been driving it anyway, I am not sure if that was a good idea or not but its too late now I guess. Sounds like you are going to need some new modules if they don't resume normal operation once all dried out.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I have heard of this in 5-series sedans, a known problem, but not in X5's... I would def want to dry that water up ASAP, thoroughly dry all the components, and seal the area it is entering, as this could fry any components in your trunk bay. Not sure how to make sure you get it all though, just keep at it.
Sounds like you have been driving it anyway, I am not sure if that was a good idea or not but its too late now I guess. Sounds like you are going to need some new modules if they don't resume normal operation once all dried out.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
I ended up replacing the ATC700 Transfer Case Control Module which made the codes go away Dried everything up as best as I could as soon as I found the water but just cannot find where it comes into the vehicle. I'm leaning towards the tailights during car washes as there's no real seal around them.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I can't tell you where the water is coming from, but when we were looking at X5's last year I had a PPI done on one - there were several issues found and one of them was water in the battery/rear cargo area. Passed on that X5…

Hopefully you find the source - don't want water inside the X especially back there. Nothing else came up in searches? Surprised nobody else has experienced this.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
sergeny1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4C

Check tail lights seals.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Rob.K
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeny1 View Post
Check tail lights seals.
Do you happen to have a picture of your tailight seals? On mine it doesn't even look like it's made to seal anything, it just lightly sits against the body?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Check out this thread
Water leak in cargo area http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1045838
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Norton412
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Norton412

Have 2010 X5, water appeared in left side plastic "bucket" located behind left rear quarter panel. About 4" water. Occurred after rubber boot that contained wires at top of hatchback was disturbed when after market rear video cam was installed. Solution was to put electrical putty was around the boot base where it entered the body near top of hatch door. This electrical conduit/rubber boot covering happens to be located in the drainage channel that is made to drain water from the roof slot. No problems for 1 year. [B]Got all error warnings that you got. Water in right wheel well now-need to seal right rubber electrical boot probably because I left rear hatch unlatched during heavy rainstorm.
Appreciate 0