XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
riven83
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

Active steering x6 Issue, Urgent

Hey everyone,,,

I have bmw 2008 full option x6 5.0, active steering option is available I checked it with the dealer by giving them the VIN# and they printed me all the specs.

I had major problem due to leak in steering gear box, so they told me necessary to change it and it cost too much which I believe approx. $4,500 plus $700 labour charge (including the allignment of the steering)

I recieved my car today, now when I drive it, I dont feel the steering acting like before, sometimes I feel it doesnt respod as before, when I turn the steering now, I have to turn more than before, sometime in slow drive, it take more turn for small turn on the road.

Now, when I need to go out from the parking, I should turn the steering 270 degree ( imagine starting the turn from my right hand where the radio buttons, it will reach to my left knee) so this amount of turn it take to go out of parking if there is a car front of me. (is this normal?)

And now when there is a sharp turn to the right to enter new road,
I should turn the Steering more degree than before, as it need one round and half,,

I am confused now, maybe I didnt drove my car for a month and this affect my feeling of car, but at the same time they changed the steering box which it may effect the movement and the balance of active steering system.

I watched many videos in youtube regarding to ACtive Steering, and most of them can get out from the parking by only turning 90 degree and they can easily exit from the parking.

I dont have any warning light or message,,

Could someone help me toward my issue?! Or how to perfectly check if the active steering is working 100%?

In which condition we can find active steering not responding as normally?

Or of there is no warning light or message that mean its working perfectly??
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
riven83
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

One more thing, the balance of steering is fine, if i left my hand and drive, the car is stable and center..

But the steering now need more turn than before! This is only big issue,,

I tried to fully turn steering from its normal position to the full right until it locked, it need like two full turn,, (normal steering, how long many turn it need)

I also checked the steering oil cap, I have the star shape cap.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Seems like your Active Steering is not really active
I had once my AS failed for a brief moment on my 335i
It pretty much became regular steering, a bit stiffer, a bit more turning required, plain
I did have the light on the dash showing it had a problem though
I restarted the car and it went away
But from what i see you are experiencing, it's just not active at all
I wonder why no code when there should be
Make sure whoever did job on this did not disable something, or coded for fault code not to show up
I hope I make sense
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

That does not sound normal. I don't believe I've ever had to turn my wheel 270. Take it back. The dealers mess this stuff up all the time (yes, even over here in the states where we have a million of them). Case in point a friend with a 545 several years ago had a problem with his AS. Took his car in, got it back and the steering wheel would only turn 90 degrees to the right and 270 to the left. They said "That's normal". He doesn't use that dealer anymore
Appreciate 0