XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glina View Post
You will only have to remove a small plastic cover from the existing piece that is inside the armrest console by pressing the release button. Then you just popping it in. Easy, no tools are needed.
Awesome. Thanks!!
No prob. The Facebook display is very nice on the iDrive. Also, after you send the "what's on your mind message" on the Facebook; it'll display the BMW connect icon next to your message and it will also show that the message was send via BMW connect
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #24
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb23 View Post
Glina. Any differences over the USB? What other functions does it allow for? Does it have the correct iPod functions of previous track and next track when using the steering wheel buttons? This has been an issue with the USB connection.
Yes it has the correct iPod function with previous and next track when using the steering wheel buttons. You also have a nice display of the iPad.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #25
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: It's a BM

Quote:
Yes it has the correct iPod function with previous and next track when using the steering wheel buttons. You also have a nice display of the iPad.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #26
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
My apps are syncing fine as is my Bluetooth. I am not getting audio from my iphone music or Pandora. Both are playing, I see the album covers and the progress bar, just no sounds. The phone work with the y-adapter. Any thoughts?
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:41 AM   #27
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
My apps are syncing fine as is my Bluetooth. I am not getting audio from my iphone music or Pandora. Both are playing, I see the album covers and the progress bar, just no sounds. The phone work with the y-adapter. Any thoughts?
I will have mine on Monday. I'll let you know if it's the same with mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #28
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
Problem solved. You can't use the y-adapter and the snap-in adapter at the same time. Once I unplugged the rca jack I had audio through the snap-in.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #29
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Problem solved. You can't use the y-adapter and the snap-in adapter at the same time. Once I unplugged the rca jack I had audio through the snap-in.
I can not get mine working... I plug it in and nothing happens all it does is make a charge connection to charge my phone and nothing else.

Ive tried launching the apps, ipod and pandora nothing connects.

Do I need to turnoff bluetooth maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can not get mine working... I plug it in and nothing happens all it does is make a charge connection to charge my phone and nothing else.

Ive tried launching the apps, ipod and pandora nothing connects.

Do I need to turnoff bluetooth maybe?
Mine works with the bluetooth ON.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Mb23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine works with the bluetooth ON.
What part # is yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #32
nyranger74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i Sapphire Black

I have the media snap in adapter for the Iphone 4, but I retroffited the 6NR to use with a USB cable instead of the snap in adapter and base plate. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, I will sell it for a little cheaper than what you can get for it from BMW. The part number is P/N 84 21 2 218 390.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #33
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I have the media snap in adapter for the Iphone 4, but I retroffited the 6NR to use with a USB cable instead of the snap in adapter and base plate. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, I will sell it for a little cheaper than what you can get for it from BMW. The part number is P/N 84 21 2 218 390.
could u let me know where u got the retro fit from for your X6? how can i do it on my 2010 X6?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #34
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Hi all. I would like to be able to play videos in my 2010 X6 screen from my iphone 4. (I already have the module such that video plays even when driving.) But I need to know if the media adapter will work on a 2010 X6 with video ???
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
Couple of important points here:

- The CIC (late model) iDrive systems *do not use* the Y-cable. You should use a standard "white" Apple USB to Dock Connector cable *only* for full functionality via the USB port
- The manual says that the snap-in adapter's audio can be used *only* if the headphone jack AUX-IN port is *not* used (which it shouldn't be, even if you're using a second iPod - see my first point)
- The fact that apps are not started by the dock is not BMW's fault. The software development environment on the iPhone doesn't allow for 3rd party apps to be triggered by a dock connection. Technically I suppose it could open the BMW Connected app, but that'd likely create other problems.
- Media adapter (ie Apps/Video) functionality is possible ONLY with CIC/Combox equipped late model cars. It isn't the key to adding these features to earlier models
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
albax5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

BMW Apps - Additional Hardware to buy???

Quote:
Yes it does, but you mentioned to use your apps. The apps will work with just a USB. This adapter is more for the plugin. I didn't think they would have it in the website already, this is the one i think i need to get plugin working. Thanks.
Hi,
I just purchased my 2012 X5 with BMW Apps support and I was told I also needed the additional adapter to be able to use BMW Apps.

All I want to use is the radio stations and Pandora from Apps. Do I have to buy the snap-in Media adapter for it or is there any other way how to avoid it?

Thank you so much. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when my salesman misled me for it!

Gianni
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #37
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by albax5 View Post
Hi,
I just purchased my 2012 X5 with BMW Apps support and I was told I also needed the additional adapter to be able to use BMW Apps.

All I want to use is the radio stations and Pandora from Apps. Do I have to buy the snap-in Media adapter for it or is there any other way how to avoid it?

Thank you so much. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when my salesman misled me for it!

Gianni
No. For those apps you do not need the additional adapter.

The adapter is only needed for iPod out (iPod native interface on BMW display)
And
iPod video displayed on BMW display. Eg video podcasts, music videos, movies and tv shows.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #38
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

I have an 2012 X6 in the order queue. I inquired about adding the apps to the order and was told it would delay the production week, which I really rather not do.

I am not to interested in Twitter or Facebook. However, playing video from the iphone onto the NAV screen sounds nice! Also, I heard something about being able to have texts and emails read out loud. Is this something that BMW Apps does, or something that comes with the iPhone integration?

Also, can you please clarify your statement above...do none of the video features work if you only use the USB cable? You HAVE to have the snap-in dock? For reference, I bought the snap-doc for my current 2009 X6 3G phone combo which I felt was a ripoff because it didn't add any value, other than price, to using the phone directly with the apple usb cable. Looks like things have changed quite a bit in these past few years!

I would appreciate your clarification.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #39
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I heard something about being able to have texts and emails read out loud. Is this something that BMW Apps does, or something that comes with the iPhone integration?

>> No. iPhone does not support this. Some blackberry devices do however.

Also, can you please clarify your statement above...do none of the video features work if you only use the USB cable? You HAVE to have the snap-in dock? For reference, I bought the snap-doc for my current 2009 X6 3G phone combo which I felt was a ripoff because it didn't add any value, other than price, to using the phone directly with the apple usb cable. Looks like things have changed quite a bit in these past few years!

I would appreciate your clarification.

>> no video from the iPhone on the BMW display without apps and without the snap-doc. You'll need a different one because the one you have for your 3G doesn't work with video.

Nyranger74 above is a special case because he retrofitted the control unit and modified the wiring so he could use the existing USB / aux (now analog video in) port.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #40
fr8d
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 2011, BMW Connected

Y Cable

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.

I own a 2011 X6 equipped with BMW Connected and an iPhone 4 Snapin.
I have access to all multimedia functions using the snapin.

However, when connecting my iPhone 4S with a regular Apple dock cable to the USB port in the arm rest, I can only use BMW Apps but don't have access to the "plugin" function (which would let me stream music via USB). As bluetooth music audio streaming is automatically disabled when connecting my iPhone via USB or snapin, I can't use the USB interface and play music at the same time (I can do that using the snapin).

I asked my car dealer and was told I needed a Y Cable in order to access the "plugin" function. I ordered it and tried but it unfortunately does less than the regular Apple dock cable (The Y Cable only charges my iPhone. No access to BMW Apps).

Does anyone here know what Y cable reference I should order in order to replicate the exact same functions than the ones I have using the snapin (plugin function included)?

Thanks in advance!

Fred
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #41
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
In my experience, the Y Cable does not fully replicate the snap-in. You can use your music and some features but for full functionality for apps, you must use the snap-in.
Appreciate 0