XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-29-2022, 03:29 PM   #1
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

E70 35D ASV factory replacement.. easy peezy?

I need to replace the ASV pipe (intake charge pipe?) and I couldn't find any DIY and newtis shows simple enough, but is it an easy DIY? Any tips?
      05-29-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Are you talking about the ASV itself or the boost pipe with the elbow between the ASV and the intercooler? Either way pretty straightforward.

ASV is just 3 bolts I believe and will be covered in videos/DIYs of egr delete. BMW did change the bolts from hex to torx at some point so you could have either.

The boost pipe attached the ASV you'll likely need to remove the radiator fan in order to unclip the cold side of the intercooler. Wouldn't be a terrible idea to replace that oring at the intercooler while you're there.

The other option with the boost pipe assuming its the rubber part that is torn is to go aftermarket silicone. This way you wont need to take the boost pipe out of the intercooler, but you'll need to dremel off the clip holding the rubber on. Either ATM has a solution (which can be kind of a pain to get on the ASV) or lots of people on the NA diesel facebook group dremel off both clips holding the rubber part and replace with a silicone pipe and worm gear clamps. This looks like the one that people are using for the x5 - "HPS CAC-250-Cold", but if youre part of that group maybe do a bit of searching. I just searched for HPS and got a decent number of results
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
Are you talking about the ASV itself or the boost pipe with the elbow between the ASV and the intercooler? Either way pretty straightforward.

ASV is just 3 bolts I believe and will be covered in videos/DIYs of egr delete. BMW did change the bolts from hex to torx at some point so you could have either.

The boost pipe attached the ASV you'll likely need to remove the radiator fan in order to unclip the cold side of the intercooler. Wouldn't be a terrible idea to replace that oring at the intercooler while you're there.

The other option with the boost pipe assuming its the rubber part that is torn is to go aftermarket silicone. This way you wont need to take the boost pipe out of the intercooler, but you'll need to dremel off the clip holding the rubber on. Either ATM has a solution (which can be kind of a pain to get on the ASV) or lots of people on the NA diesel facebook group dremel off both clips holding the rubber part and replace with a silicone pipe and worm gear clamps. This looks like the one that people are using for the x5 - "HPS CAC-250-Cold", but if youre part of that group maybe do a bit of searching. I just searched for HPS and got a decent number of results

Thanks for the reply!

I was referring to the actual pipe, sorry about that. I decided to order one from the dealer for now.

Would love to DIY but pressed on time right now and it seems I would need to remove a few things as you mentioned. I was able to do a temporary fix thats actually holding up since the rip/tear/hole wasnt tooo bad.

Thanks again!