XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
FastCletus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2010 BMW X5  [0.00]
Front Hitch??

I was driving today and saw an idea. I have a camper that I love, and also have a dirtbike I adore as well. Problem is I have never found a way to take both of them with me on my X5. I looked at adding a hitch to the rear of the trailer. Everyone says that's a bad idea. I thought about adding a ramp on the tongue. That's not a good idea. Cant add a second trailer to the camper either.
So yesterday I saw a guy who had a front hitch and had his dirtbike there. (It wasnt on an X5) If I did that I could carry my dirtbike and my trailer and go back to the joy of traveling with my dirtbike.
Anyone ever done this?
      01-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Probably not. Youd have to fab your own attachment probably to the front frame rails, which likely arent designed for any load, better yet an oscillating load with decent amounts of force going up and down. The front suspension is tuned specifically for the motor's weight, and adding 4-600lbs on a lever a foot farther out than the bumper seems kind of crazy without beefing the front suspension up. Beyond all those limitations, theres the GVWR issue- your vehicle will likely be very much overweight with the weight of a trailer hitch on the back, plus hitch and dirtbike weight up front. Honestly, if you can keep the weight balance of the trailer good, so you still have amp[le tongue weight, I'd personally go with a hitch on the rear of the trailer. A rack on teh tongue would be fine too, so long as the tongue weight can be offset by moving other things rearwards in the trailer.

Overall, I'd worry about front attachment being stable and reliable while not tweaking the frame rails, and front suspension handling the weight. Real body on frame trucks have good access to the front frame for hitch attachment, it's a pretty common thing. On the X5 I can't see it being preactical with how much of your vision you'd lose, not to mention teh other things I've talked about above.

If you can find a good way to mount it, go ahead and try it!
      01-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Can you not squeeze the bike INSIDE the camper?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 1
Spyro235259.50