XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

Rearview mirror cover recommendations

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I was driving back from the farm and tooling down I-5 at about eighty. It was a rural area and some hunters were working an area near the road. They must have just clipped a goose. It was flying right through traffic at windshield height. I was lucky and able to brake a lot but clipped it with the driver side rearview mirror. On the up side it didn't come through the windshield. In the rearview it did look a lot like a cartoon, feathers going everywhere as the poor bird spun off in the horizon.

So the final assessment is one broken rear mirror cover. It is broken in a few layers across. Everything is working fine, heaters, rearview cameras, power operation. No damage to any other part of the car.

I have looked at the carbon fiber covers at about $100. I am worried it will crack because of the lack of support. I can't find real complete carbon covers that are replacement ones for less than $400. The dealer wants a $100 for a primed replacement. Does anyone know of a junk yard that specializes in BMW? It is a 2012 X5M so it takes X5M covers.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap solution. I can't see filing an insurance claim and didn't want to drop $4-500 to get it fixed.

I like to look at the bright side of the coin, and I didn't spin out and everyone was all right. I doubt the bird suffered much.
Appreciate 0