XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
Rdavg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Alpine white

Wife wants a X5

My wife and I are looking at models between 07'-10' years. What I want to know is which model would be best bang for the money and other than maintenance how needy are they.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdavg View Post
My wife and I are looking at models between 07'-10' years. What I want to know is which model would be best bang for the money and other than maintenance how needy are they.
The newer the better actually so I would suggest a '10 xDrive30i. If you don't mind spending a tiny bit more, a LCI would be so much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #3
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0si / R171 SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTees View Post
The newer the better actually so I would suggest a '10 xDrive30i. If you don't mind spending a tiny bit more, a LCI would be so much better.
I agree, I would have bought newer but for the fact that they are double the price in HK so I had to make due with the pre-lci version.
      03-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
RIHI
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The newer one 2010 and up have the vastly improved CIC navigation, better looking bumpers, and better angel eyes. If any of these will bug you to no end, you need to look at the newer ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

The extra cash spent on an LCI model are well worth it. FYI LCI - Life Cycle Impulse
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
MAK3N3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E70, E90

If you are only looking at those specific years then from 07-08 you had two engine options, 3.0 & 4.8 then in 09 they added the Diesel:

260-hp, 3.0-liter I-6 (premium)
350-hp, 4.8-liter V-8 (premium)
265-hp, 3.0-liter I-6 (diesel)

In terms of best bang for buck during those years I'd say it would be the 4.8, many of them were nicely optioned, close to being fully loaded with an original MSRP being over 70K. Many of the 4.8's 08-09 with "sports package" had the Adaptive Drive (electronic dampening susp + anti roll stabilization) included which is not widely found on newer models b/c it became and expensive add-on later. Also, many had 3rd row seats w/self leveling rear susp. very nice if you tow (like I do). Another widely sought after option would be the comfort seats.

From what I've seen in the used market the 4.8's in general had most of the options availible.

Some 4.8's could get the valley pan/coolant pipe leak which is widely documented for all N62 engines, DIY fix ranges from $300-1200 EST. The dealer cost is astronomical.

As others have mentioned yon can spring a little more and get an LCI version starting in late 2010 as 11 models, one thing to note though is if you want the really bright LED corona rings then you need one from build 04/2011 up I believe. There was a an actual design change to the housing so throwing new LUX/Cree LED bulbs or whatever at the PRE-LCI's will never match the newer versions. Some are fine with it like me, I got some weisslicht's & was done.

Some other things to look out for is the N63 Customer care package on the tiwn tubro V8's
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ns-bmw-n63-v8/

Also, now the whole front drive shaft u-joint failures depending on models as well. I replaced mine strictly as a precautionary measure even though it was not flagged as one needing it done.

Since you're coming from a 335i pretty much all the same engine pitfalls you have apply to the X5 35i too. Electronic water pump failures, carbon build up etc etc. I also have an 07 335i sedan with 115K now and have spent a ton keeping maientenced over the last two years.

I bought my 08 4.8 two years ago w/52K on the clock, it had 8 months left on CPO, I saw the DCS report and it had all the typical stuff done, alternator, new battery, rear airbags, oil cooler leak among others...I'm the DIY type but I did have it in the shop those 8 months about 4x's getting everything I could done. I commuted 80+ miles a day, put 35K miles it since, so far after CPO I have done Thrust rod arms/bushings, lower control arms (wishbone) sway bar end links front & rear. front brakes, Front Driveshaft u-joint, just did the waterpump/hoses/other bits/serpintine belts, diff fluids...

I don't regret my purchase one bit, I love my E70, when I compare what I have had to fix on the 335i in terms of maint. it's slightly more but then again my E70 has more options. I would say the susp. bits wore out faster on the X for sure, and the tires as well. I know I'm all over the place but I could keep going on and on...I seem to have more time on my hands lately so if you want to know more about my experience or want to check out my E70 PM me since we're both in HTX.

One more thing, if you care mostly about aesthetics then which ever model you get spring for the sport pkg w/20's fender flares etc. and a good alignment soon after. I think 90% of the folks try to get the rims/flares after the fact if they didn't get it from the start. Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0