XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
x6apollon
Rep
Drives: X6 XDrive35D

Exclamation BMW Online/BMW Connected Drive

I just got an X6 X35D 2008 model. It comes with Connected Drive and BMW Online which am told do not work in Cyprus. I am trying to find where the SIM card goes in order to work the service. Basically I want to find out if I can use the web browser in Cyprus. However I canot find where the sim card goes. The dealer told me it is factory installed in the ECU unit. Does anybody know what this unit is and how I can install a different SIM card?

Alex
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

I don't even know what Connected Drive is but am very curious about what it's supposed to do - is it web access while you're driving (am guessing from you post)?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
x6apollon
Rep

connected drive is a service from BMW that works with the integrated GPS and sim card of the car. It knows where you are and BMW recommends places of interest or sends assistance if you get in trouble. One of the services offered is BMW online which is basically an internet portal. If you see pictures on the bmw website it has Google on the dashboard screen. It looks cool but cannot get it to work. It says no 'SIM card installed' and do not know where to install one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6apollon View Post
connected drive is a service from BMW that works with the integrated GPS and sim card of the car. It knows where you are and BMW recommends places of interest or sends assistance if you get in trouble. One of the services offered is BMW online which is basically an internet portal. If you see pictures on the bmw website it has Google on the dashboard screen. It looks cool but cannot get it to work. It says no 'SIM card installed' and do not know where to install one.
Just out of curiosity I did a goggle for the sim card and basically got the same info you have which is ppl don't know where it's at, either. I had previously downloaded the 2009 user's manual in PDF format and searched for sim card and the only reference found had to do with enabling bluetooth, and it basically said the "numbers stored on your sim card or you cell phone" without any reference to where it's at.

This you probably you already know. My first thought is maybe the previous owner took it (could be wrong, but I assume you bought your x6 used since it's a 2008) However, you mention the sim card is in the ecu, which in my experience are not typically user accessible. I bet the dealers or someone like is the only who get at it.

Maybe the sim card in your vehicle is not activated? Maybe it needs a monthly service account and then the computer will recognize it as "installed".

I know it's not much help since I know considerably less than you do about it, but the problem made me very curious about the function.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

"connected drive is a service from BMW that works with the integrated GPS and sim card of the car. It knows where you are and BMW recommends places of interest or sends assistance if you get in trouble."

In the USA this is BMW assist, besides getting roadside assistance you get a bunch of other features including being able to send Google maps to your car (this may be the Google reference you are seeing). I think the sim being referred to is your phone sim. My car "phoned home" the other day to tell the dealer (who then called me) that it needed a normal oil change. The real time traffic info also works in the USA, very useful during commute time.

From BMW:
In connection with the BMW Navigation system plus the BMW preparation for Bluetooth mobile phone with integrated SIM card, BMW Assist brings you a range of useful features.
The emergency call feature, for example, automatically transmits your vehicle's status and position data directly to the BMW Service headquarters and makes a telephone connection. The system sends an automatic signal to BMW Service immediately if the crash sensors in the airbags are activated.
In the event of a breakdown, BMW Assist activates the BMW breakdown service, connecting to Mobile Service and transmitting the relevant vehicle data. Your BMW Service partner will be by your side as quickly as possible, helping you get back onto the road.
Should you be driving on the German Autobahn network, BMW Assist also provides reliable and up-to-the-minute traffic information, thanks to a system of more than 4,000 sensors positioned along the motorways, that measure traffic congestion and transmit the results in real time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

dmlgc:

Is the sim car in his phone or does the x6 have its own sim card?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's what I was trying to get across, it's in the phone.
With my car when ever i get in my phone and the car sync up which gives you the integrated functions with the steering wheel buttons.
So unless BMW is doing something completely different in his part of the world he needs to pair his phone and the car (instructions in owners manual).

If he registered (usually do this at dealership when you pick it ) with BMW Assist or what ever it's called there then he can send Google maps to his car via bmw assist.

Last edited by dmlgc; 04-19-2009 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
That's what I was trying to get across, it's in the phone.
With my car when ever i get in my phone and the car sync up which gives you the integrated functions with the steering wheel buttons.
So unless BMW is doing something completely different in his part of the world he need to pair his phone and the car (instructions in owners manual).

If he registered (usually do this at dealership when you pick it ) with BMW Assist or what ever it's called there then he can send Google maps to his car via bmw assist.
I'm sure you're right and I halfway suspected that.

I think what was throwing him a curve was someone told him it was in his bimmer's ecu. But what your saying makes sense. You hook your phone up to the bimmer's interface and the program recognizes his sim card.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
The google screen you are seeing on the Internet is for Internet in the X6 but is only available on European models and not available in US. In US, we have BMW Assist and the only feature we have with Google is to send addresses from Google to your X6 (I use it all the time and it is great!).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I'm sure you're right and I halfway suspected that.

I think what was throwing him a curve was someone told him it was in his bimmer's ecu. But what your saying makes sense. You hook your phone up to the bimmer's interface and the program recognizes his sim card.
Agree. Think the base problem here is the dealer, sounds like they aren't very familiar with BMW electronics. They Should have gone through how everything works when he picked it up.

x6apollon, hope we have been of some help. Please post any questions you have, there are a lot of X6 owners here and they all are willing to answer questions or at least give opinions
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
The google screen you are seeing on the Internet is for Internet in the X6 but is only available on European models and not available in US. In US, we have BMW Assist and the only feature we have with Google is to send addresses from Google to your X6 (I use it all the time and it is great!).

Ya could be like the TV option, maybe someone that lives in that part of the world and knows about options available there can post some info.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I thought that the infamous new idrive was going to have full browse capabilty as mentioned in these articles. It was going to be part of BMW Assist but only available via AT&T.
So are you saying new idrive will not have this in US ?

http://jalopnik.com/5051053/google-s...+-and-3+series

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10043591-48.html
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I thought that the infamous new idrive was going to have full browse capabilty as mentioned in these articles. It was going to be part of BMW Assist but only available via AT&T.
So are you saying new idrive will not have this in US ?

http://jalopnik.com/5051053/google-s...+-and-3+series

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10043591-48.html
I was referring to what is currently available in the US for current models of the X6. If I recall, I think the new iDrive will not have full Internet browsing but a partnership with Google to just search for locations on their site and they navigate to them. I could be wrong though. Haven't reserached that much about the new iDrive beacuse, unfortunately, my new '09 did not have the new iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was referring to what is currently available in the US for current models of the X6. If I recall, I think the new iDrive will not have full Internet browsing but a partnership with Google to just search for locations on their site and they navigate to them. I could be wrong though. Haven't researched that much about the new iDrive beacuse, unfortunately, my new '09 did not have the new iDrive.

What no new iDrive and you ordered it anyway , what's this forum coming too..hehe

Anyway.. first I read it was going to be full browsing capabilities then just search then sounded like full. Maybe someone that has/gets new iDrive can tell us what it supports.

Update: shenard looks like you are correct USA will not get full browser, excerpt from recent review on new 7 series:
"The only AWOL option is the full Internet access available to Europeans. For now, liability concerns will keep Americans from posting chocolate-covered-baby photos on Facebook while at the wheel. But next year, BMW will roll out the first all-wheel-drive 7-Series in the model's five generations."

Last edited by dmlgc; 04-20-2009 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Rpkman
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW x6 35d

Wink

Hi there
i think there is actually a SIM card, or whatever the auto equivalent is, in the car itself. My BMW assist functions (google, connection to bmw customer service center which shares my location etc with bmw, google maps to car, etc) all work just fine even if my cell phone isn't with me, or if bluetooth is off and the phone isn't paired with the car.

Which leads me to think that the car has its own comms facilities for the assist functions.

I have contacts within a BMW dealership that I can quiz for more specific details if that helps
many thanks and all the best
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
x6apollon
Rep

you are right. my phone is already connectedvia bluetooth but the BMW Assist does not work. i do not expect the Assist to work since its not available in Cyprus. however i want to try BMW online which is a kind of middle-way browser.

i am sure there is a dedicated sim in the car because the bmw uk site mentions that. what i don'r know is where it is situated.

any how thanks a lot guys for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpkman View Post
Hi there
i think there is actually a SIM card, or whatever the auto equivalent is, in the car itself. My BMW assist functions (google, connection to bmw customer service center which shares my location etc with bmw, google maps to car, etc) all work just fine even if my cell phone isn't with me, or if bluetooth is off and the phone isn't paired with the car.

Which leads me to think that the car has its own comms facilities for the assist functions.

I have contacts within a BMW dealership that I can quiz for more specific details if that helps
many thanks and all the best
It would interesting to know how it works, I know there differences between the US and elsewhere due to regulations. I know BMW can always find my car (have tested that a few times with assist, they were within 10ft) but figured that had to do with the GPS/Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
What no new iDrive and you ordered it anyway , what's this forum coming too..hehe

Anyway.. first I read it was going to be full browsing capabilities then just search then sounded like full. Maybe someone that has/gets new iDrive can tell us what it supports.

Update: shenard looks like you are correct USA will not get full browser, excerpt from recent review on new 7 series:
"The only AWOL option is the full Internet access available to Europeans. For now, liability concerns will keep Americans from posting chocolate-covered-baby photos on Facebook while at the wheel. But next year, BMW will roll out the first all-wheel-drive 7-Series in the model's five generations."
WHAT ??? shenard dared to order his NEW X6 without the NEW iDrive??? How dare he!!!

I don't know what's wrong with him

Anyway, the browsing function will be available in the near future but not in current or new iDrive systems (including the new iDrive in the new 7 series). Good thing is that it will only take a simple software update to get that function working
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
It would interesting to know how it works, I know there differences between the US and elsewhere due to regulations. I know BMW can always find my car (have tested that a few times with assist, they were within 10ft) but figured that had to do with the GPS/Nav system.
The car does have it's own SIM card as it needs this to be able to establish a communication channel with BMW assist. When you press the Assist button in the car, a call via cell towers to the BMW assist center is established. This is done via a cell phone equivalent modem inside of your car. This has nothing to do with the bluetooth interface or your cell phone. The BMW assist function will only work in areas that have sufficient cell coverage.

The BMW connected drive feature utilizes this modem for data transport via the cell service.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #20
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

"The BMW assist function will only work in areas that have sufficient cell coverage."
So if I'm in the mountains with no cell coverage and break down I'm SOL ?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

fine print in the BMW Assist brochure:

In order to receive BMW Assist services, a subscriber agreement must be completed at your local BMW center and transferred to the BMW Assist Response Center. GPS and underlying wireless services must be available and functioning; vehicle ignition must be turned on (except for Door Unlock and Stolen Vehicle Recovery), battery charged and connected and vehicle’s electrical system operational; services may be limited to certain geographic areas.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #22
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
fine print in the BMW Assist brochure:

In order to receive BMW Assist services, a subscriber agreement must be completed at your local BMW center and transferred to the BMW Assist Response Center. GPS and underlying wireless services must be available and functioning; vehicle ignition must be turned on (except for Door Unlock and Stolen Vehicle Recovery), battery charged and connected and vehicle’s electrical system operational; services may be limited to certain geographic areas.
I knew most of that but figured the emergency service part would be tied into the sat/gps somehow. Other wise I can call AAA or a couple of other services I get with insurance or something (have about three cards, never looked at them) with my cell phone. Not what I would call high tech emergency service.

Wait until my wife finds out she wanted us both to have this after watching the story of the couple that broke down in the Oregon mountains and the guy froze to death.
Appreciate 0