XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Angry Dealer Service Issue...

Took the X5M in for some service on last Tues (14th), due to engine noise and reduced power (among other things). Got a loaner, knowing it would take some time (also some other issues they needed to troubleshoot).

Techs determined it was both aux. coolant pumps, which cool the turbos. Parts were ordered and arrived Monday. Techs then took 2 days installing the pumps. Around 5pm today I went to pick it up, because the adviser indicated they would be done with pumps (according to the techs) but had other stuff ordered from GER so would need to rebook in a few weeks.

When I got there at 5, still not done, told me it would be another half hour. 1 hour later, I go to check and see the tech starting up my vehicle so assume he's all done. Adviser gets the paperwork all ready because she also assumes he's done (based on some conversation she just had with him), and as we are sitting there, the tech (some guy who looks like he's 16) comes and says he's having a problem and doesnt know what to do. Long story short, the senior tech did the install and then the junior tech was left to bleed the pumps and reattach the panels under the car. Im guessing he didnt bleed it right or something. Adviser has a discussion with the manager about this (neither one of us are too happy at this point) and then gives me back keys to the loaner.

My impression:
Theyve had it a week, knew what was wrong, got the pumps in...why does it take 2 days to do the pumps? (maybe i dont understand the complexity)

Why is a junior tech working on an X5M? I thought techs needed special training to work on M cars? Add to that its been over a week now (maybe my expectations are high), but shouldnt the senior tech finish the job?

The adviser is great. I have a long and good relationship with the advisers where I go. Its the competence of the techs that bothers me.

Is this a common scenario...anyone else have dealer service issues like this? n the past they were pretty good, but now I have concerns when a tech walks into the advisers office when I am there and sheepishly says he doesnt know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Good questions to ask the general manager
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

You may "like" the adviser, but your relationship needs to be with the tech!

Get to know him, engage in conversation, ask questions, slip him a 20 every so often (make sure you have permission from the service manager) and bring him his favorite holiday spirit during the holidays ... treat him the way you would like to be treated.

Guess what, he'll go out of way to do things right and wouldn't dream about having a junior apprentice finish his job that reflects on his "relationship" with you.

When I bring my car in for service, I ask, no, I stipulate on the work order to have "Rudy" work on my car. I have done so for the past 20 years! And when he's done with the work, I make sure I thank him and ask how his children are ... I also have his personal cell nr ...

I think you catch my drift ...
      10-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Good idea...I like it. Where I go they seem to shield the techs from the customers...whether or not that's by design I don't know.

I will have to find a way to get in with the tech...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

I think you are riding them a little hard, people need to learn, whether they are doctors or car techs you have to get hands on experience. I second the tips or " greasing" they go out of their way to make you happy, I assume tips in their work are few and far between plus they over look my modded car and make sure I don't lose my warranty. If you are un happy tell them, ask for a free detail, " a very clean car will help smooth things over". If they don't tighten the oil drain screw or lug nuts then by all means go bat shit crazy ( I would, and have)
      10-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Manufacturing is completely different to service, got my car scratched at the shop, no word from advisor, found it by chance when doing my walk around. All fixed and apologies in the air, my trust on the them is ruined. Going to a different shop (far from home) but hoping to avoid the situation.

Considering service on my own, as the 25k oil change interval looks as a joke, willing to pay/DIY and dreaming can get to my mech and have a close relationship.

Apprentices are needed but, a green hand without supervision is more risky than an exhausted experienced foreman...we use big decals on hard hats for green hands in the industry for a reason!
Appreciate 0