XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #23
CWL21
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

When my dealership agreed to replace my wheels there was no need to have anyone from BMW NA take a look. They said they'd look into it and called me 5 minutes after I left the dealership and said all 4 would be replaced. I've got a 2013 that had 26K miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #24
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 740i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Ok. I'm taking the info here and from a couple other sites to my dealer tomorrow asking for the rims to be replaced under warranty. BMW NA rep is due to come into the dealer on Tuesday. I'll post back with my results.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:30 PM   #25
goodmaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
That's my plan after winter is to have them re sprayed then put a clear bra on the fender flares, rockers, front bumper, side mirrors, hood and fenders...I already looked into this and its going to cost around $3k...$600 to have wheels refinished
Sounds about right. I got my rocker panels, wheel arches, and lower passenger doors, both sides, done for around 1700. Then I got everything you mentioned clear bra'd + the doors below the side molding + the bottom of the rear bumper (outside only) + the lights + got the driver/passenger windows tinted for $1900. I was quoted $550 to completely refinished the wheels by my wheel guy. They're starting to show a little corrosion....swell.
      03-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
That's my plan after winter is to have them re sprayed then put a clear bra on the fender flares, rockers, front bumper, side mirrors, hood and fenders...I already looked into this and its going to cost around $3k...$600 to have wheels refinished
BMW isn't picking up the tab?

Edit: my bad I didn't see the earlier post where you said it was out of warranty. My plan is to have this done after the winter, and I don't know how much of a fight I'm going to have with my SA.

Last edited by 135ivert; 03-10-2015 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
My dealer told me the Bmw NA rep said no to replacing my 2 year old wheels. He said that he thinks acid wheel cleaner caused corrosion even though I submitted 3 different forums worth of documentation that others have had the same problem and had the wheels replaced.

Anyone have another suggestion for me or have a number of a rep at BMW that you can share with me?

Pretty disappointed as I have purchased 3 BMWs in the past year from my dealer and sold two other cars for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #28
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjjklj View Post
... He said that he thinks acid wheel cleaner caused corrosion ...
Ask him, or the service manager, for written proof on what basis they believe that acid wheel cleaner is the cause ...

Show him the following information: you have been using an acid free wheel cleaner called SONAX (SONAX is a German product and privately labels the wheel cleaner gel for BMW. For proof, ask the dealership or the rep for the Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS, required by Federal Law. You will see the name SONAX on it.).

Buy a bottle, use some of it and bring it with you.

You have been following BMW's recommendation. May be not the BMW product, but the exact equivalent. No acid product has touched your wheel.

If the rep says that it is environmental acid, ask him to prove it. Tell him that it is your opinion that the wheel corrosion is a manufacturing defect and the product does not stand up to it intended use.

Here's another useful link: http://www.sonaxusa.com/blog/the-sci...-wheel-cleaner

Attached is also the SONAX MSDS. pH = 7.0 - 7.5. Not acid!

BTW, as a result of this forum thread, I am going through the EXACT same thing with my dealer with my 2012 style 336 wheels, 24k miles. They haven't come back yet with a determination, but I intend to use the above argument . LOL ..., it might even be the same regional rep! Ten to one that this rep does not even know the difference between acid and caustic, or what a pH is!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 925_sonax_wheel_cleaner_gb_061_1_00_00.pdf (11.3 KB, 497 views)
      03-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
It's the weirdest phenomenon. Why the clear coat peels and chips right at the center cap on these is really strange to me.

I bought a set of HREs from a guy who had them on a X6M. One year old, same problem. I don't think he ever washed these wheels, so I think the brake dust itself was corroding the clear.

I'm refinishing the HREs, and I only hand wash my wheels, no acid or harsh cleaners. I'll be curious to see how the clear holds up around the center caps going forward on those.
You bought the peeling HREs that one guy was selling in the classifieds here?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You bought the peeling HREs that one guy was selling in the classifieds here?
I never saw these in the classifieds here. Doesn't mean they weren't, but I only saw them on CL and I keep a pretty good eye here too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #31
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Quote:
... He said that he thinks acid wheel cleaner caused corrosion ...
Ask him, or the service manager, for written proof on what basis they believe that acid wheel cleaner is the cause ...

Show him the following information: you have been using an acid free wheel cleaner called SONAX (SONAX is a German product and privately labels the wheel cleaner gel for BMW. For proof, ask the dealership or the rep for the Material Safety Data Sheet - MSDS, required by Federal Law. You will see the name SONAX on it.).

Buy a bottle, use some of it and bring it with you.

You have been following BMW's recommendation. May be not the BMW product, but the exact equivalent. No acid product has touched your wheel.

If the rep says that it is environmental acid, ask him to prove it. Tell him that it is your opinion that the wheel corrosion is a manufacturing defect and the product does not stand up to it intended use.

Here's another useful link: http://www.sonaxusa.com/blog/the-sci...-wheel-cleaner

Attached is also the SONAX MSDS. pH = 7.0 - 7.5. Not acid!

BTW, as a result of this forum thread, I am going through the EXACT same thing with my dealer with my 2012 style 336 wheels, 24k miles. They haven't come back yet with a determination, but I intend to use the above argument . LOL ..., it might even be the same regional rep! Ten to one that this rep does not even know the difference between acid and caustic, or what a pH is!
Good advice but I bought the car used from a BMW dealer. No idea how the previous guy washed the wheels or even if he did. Guess I could track him down as I have his name. Either way I've owned many cars and many BMWs too and never have I seen wheels do this after 2 years. The Lincoln Navigator I just traded had chrome wheels and even with the salt where I live, they looked great after 8 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #32
CWL21
Private
Rep

Any chance mine were replaced so easily due to the fact it's a lease and BMW knew it would be coming back to them? They asked if I'd used chemical cleaners, I said no.... They green lit replacements. My wife even curbed one wheel and they said no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #33
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL21
Any chance mine were replaced so easily due to the fact it's a lease and BMW knew it would be coming back to them? They asked if I'd used chemical cleaners, I said no.... They green lit replacements. My wife even curbed one wheel and they said no problem.
My guess is yes. They replaced it because they thought they would have to anyway to re-sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #34
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Update: Love my Dealer and Service Advisor. Both the Service Manager and Service Advisor stated that they didn't see any problem with getting the rims replaced due to corrosion. Unfortunately the BMW NA rep that works in this area came and looked at the rims and stated that he thinks the corrosion is from acid wheel cleaner. He refused to replace the rims. I contacted BMW NA on the website an got in touch with a woman that kept telling me that tires were not covered. I explained that it is the rims and not the tires. She recommended that I see another dealer. So I contacted another dealer that is 1.5 hours away from me and they said that they couldn't do any better because the BMW NA rep was the same rep and had put a note of his opinion in my file.

Pretty frustrated that a car that is only 2 years old and under both factory warranty and CPO but getting this response. I was able to get in touch with the previous owner that stated the wheels had been washed with Sonax as mentioned above. This is a non-acid wheel cleaner. So this negates the BMW NA rep's theory in my mind. I am left to write BMW NA a letter at this point to hopefully get some resolution.

I grew up with my father working for Ford and have owned all kinds of Fords and Lincolns. I still get a big discount to buy their product but have chosen to by BMW's the last 10 years due to quality. I currently own 4 BMW's and have each of my kids in one. I am hopeful that I can get in touch with someone that sees I am loyal to the brand and can fix a legitimate problem. I will post back.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #35
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Update: Love my Dealer and Service Advisor. Both the Service Manager and Service Advisor stated that they didn't see any problem with getting the rims replaced due to corrosion. Unfortunately the BMW NA rep that works in this area came and looked at the rims and stated that he thinks the corrosion is from acid wheel cleaner. He refused to replace the rims. I contacted BMW NA on the website an got in touch with a woman that kept telling me that tires were not covered. I explained that it is the rims and not the tires. She recommended that I see another dealer. So I contacted another dealer that is 1.5 hours away from me and they said that they couldn't do any better because the BMW NA rep was the same rep and had put a note of his opinion in my file.

Pretty frustrated that a car that is only 2 years old and under both factory warranty and CPO but getting this response. I was able to get in touch with the previous owner that stated the wheels had been washed with Sonax as mentioned above. This is a non-acid wheel cleaner. So this negates the BMW NA rep's theory in my mind. I am left to write BMW NA a letter at this point to hopefully get some resolution.

I grew up with my father working for Ford and have owned all kinds of Fords and Lincolns. I still get a big discount to buy their product but have chosen to by BMW's the last 10 years due to quality. I currently own 4 BMW's and have each of my kids in one. I am hopeful that I can get in touch with someone that sees I am loyal to the brand and can fix a legitimate problem. I will post back.
Do you have an update?

I'm going through the same right now with my local dealer on my style 336 wheels.

First response from the regional rep is "no"! I pushed back and made the argument that BMW's OE warranty is an exclusionary warranty, and nowhere does it state that wheels are excluded from defects in workmanship (mine has 25K mi and is still under OE warranty). Rep says it is corrosion from road salts ... I say, my wheels are stored from Nov thru April, and NEVER see salt. When cleaned, I use SONAX.

The latest according to my SA is that the rep claimed that the first owner must've neglected the car ... I bought the car with 18K mi., less than 2 years from the in-service date.

How is it that these reps can have such discretionary authority? And why such push-back. Is their job performance rating based on number of claim allowed during the year? Do they have a quota? Similar to how insurance adjusters are rated by their employer?

Next step is to escalate to BMWNA in NJ. I don't expect much because that's where these reps are based ...
Attached Images

04-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #36
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

This is disheartening. Seems like they are not adhering to any common policy, from Regional rep to regional rep. Surely this can be used in our favor, since there seems to be a widespread issue?

I have just purchased a 2012 50i M Sport that is not local, and I won't pick it up for a couple weeks. It has Style 333 wheels, 22k miles. I had asked for detailed pics of the rims before agreeing to buy it, to see what shape they were in, and I did look them over thoroughly for damage to the rims - but I hadn't paid that much attention to the centers. After reading this thread, I went back and can see this same type of damage to at least TWO of the wheels. CRAP. The resolution is not enough to discount it from being present on the other two wheels though.

Here is what I am thinking - the car is in IL, I am in NC. Since it seems that its a crap shoot with all these Regional reps, maybe I need to give the current IL dealer a call to see if they might be willing to agree to a replacement or repair. If they do not, I can try again when I take delivery here at my local NC dealer. This can only double my chances of getting someone to agree to helping me, right?
Or will the NC dealer see a prior refusal in their system for my vehicle? If they do, does that preclude them from trying again with the local regional rep?

I am not overjoyed that I am already contemplating my first warranty claim and haven't even taken delivery of the vehicle yet...
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #37
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
This is disheartening. Seems like they are not adhering to any common policy, from Regional rep to regional rep. Surely this can be used in our favor, since there seems to be a widespread issue?

I have just purchased a 2012 50i M Sport that is not local, and I won't pick it up for a couple weeks. It has Style 333 wheels, 22k miles. I had asked for detailed pics of the rims before agreeing to buy it, to see what shape they were in, and I did look them over thoroughly for damage to the rims - but I hadn't paid that much attention to the centers. After reading this thread, I went back and can see this same type of damage to at least TWO of the wheels. CRAP. The resolution is not enough to discount it from being present on the other two wheels though.

Here is what I am thinking - the car is in IL, I am in NC. Since it seems that its a crap shoot with all these Regional reps, maybe I need to give the current IL dealer a call to see if they might be willing to agree to a replacement or repair. If they do not, I can try again when I take delivery here at my local NC dealer. This can only double my chances of getting someone to agree to helping me, right?
Or will the NC dealer see a prior refusal in their system for my vehicle? If they do, does that preclude them from trying again with the local regional rep?

I am not overjoyed that I am already contemplating my first warranty claim and haven't even taken delivery of the vehicle yet...
First, get the selling dealer (salesman) to take close up, hi res pictures of the center of EACH wheel. Have them remove the roundel logo (wheel cap) for the pictures.

You want replacement, not repair. The two-tone finish on the wheels make it impossible to replicate (I haven't found a shop yet). Problem is, the new wheels are going to have the same problem ... again! But you'll get 2 yrs, unlimited miles on the replacements.

You have the most leverage when you are buying. The IL dealer wants to complete the sale. If the centers are clearly "corroded", tell the dealer you want them replaced. If he's cooperative, he'll agree, but be prepared for a protracted delay, primarily because of the regional rep who needs to approve. You could do an IOU transaction. Wheels will have to be dropped shipped through the NC dealer?

Don't try to do the warranty claim with the NC dealer. They don't have enough incentive to go to bat for you.

Post the pictures if/when you get them.

If you are successful in getting the wheels replaced, please let us know. I would like to use this a evidence in my claim.
      04-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #38
CWL21
Private
Rep

Heatmizr, where at in IL? I'm in Central IL and got my wheels replaced no problem. It did take 5 months though for them to get in stock...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #39
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have an update?

I'm going through the same right now with my local dealer on my style 336 wheels.

First response from the regional rep is "no"! I pushed back and made the argument that BMW's OE warranty is an exclusionary warranty, and nowhere does it state that wheels are excluded from defects in workmanship (mine has 25K mi and is still under OE warranty). Rep says it is corrosion from road salts ... I say, my wheels are stored from Nov thru April, and NEVER see salt. When cleaned, I use SONAX.

The latest according to my SA is that the rep claimed that the first owner must've neglected the car ... I bought the car with 18K mi., less than 2 years from the in-service date.

How is it that these reps can have such discretionary authority? And why such push-back. Is their job performance rating based on number of claim allowed during the year? Do they have a quota? Similar to how insurance adjusters are rated by their employer?

Next step is to escalate to BMWNA in NJ. I don't expect much because that's where these reps are based ...
No update yet. I have a day off of work tomorrow and plan on sending my letter.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #40
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL21 View Post
Heatmizr, where at in IL? I'm in Central IL and got my wheels replaced no problem. It did take 5 months though for them to get in stock...
I bought it from Isringhausen BMW in Springfield.

PAX5 - I have already paid for the vehicle, so not sure how much leverage I still have!

I looked at the pics again last night and the corrosion seems to be minimal so far. I do need better pics. However it appears minor enough that I would expect pushback on replacements.

Would the CPO warranty extension also cover this defect? Factory warranty runs out Feb 2016, I have 2 more years on the CPO.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #41
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
PAX5 - I have already paid for the vehicle, so not sure how much leverage I still have!

Would the CPO warranty extension also cover this defect? Factory warranty runs out Feb 2016, I have 2 more years on the CPO.
No. CPO does not cover this.

Do yourself a favor, and familiarize yourself with the CPO contract language. Many are appalled when they find out what is not covered ...!

CPO is a marketing tool. And a VERY profitable one at that!
      04-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #42
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjjklj
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have an update?

No update yet. I have a day off of work tomorrow and plan on sending my letter.
I mailed my certified letter on Thursday to BMW NA. I also contacted a private lab for their professional opinion on filoform corrosion. This did not happen from acid wheel cleaner as my BMW NA rep speculates. We will see shortly what the outcome is.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #43
Zucco
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M-sport / M4 Comp

Garage List
2017 M4 Comp  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 50i  [10.00]
I'm having the same issue here guys.

Does any one have any experience with refinishing these?

Thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #44
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
Try Wheels America. It is $440 which includes shipping. My experience with other companies is not good however on these machined wheels as the clear coat starts to peel over time.
Appreciate 0