XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
tovj829
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 5.0 M-Sport

Any X6 Tire Issues?

Hi All,

I PM'ed some people on this forum but figured I would post the question to everyone and get opinions/experiences from as many people as possible.

I love the look of the X6 with the 20" wheels and thinking about getting one, but given all the rough roads in NYC, I'm concerned about the low-profile tires and the greater potential for bubbles, blowouts and cracked wheels.

Have any opinions/experiences to share? Please do so; I look forward to reading about it.

Thanks,
Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Hi tovj829, I don't have any issue with 20'' in Toronto, and i have been NYC several times the road conditions are pretty similar between two cities. I think if you go with any reputable tire or wheel brand, no issue for tires and wheels even with 21'' or 22''.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
tovj829
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
Hi tovj829, I don't have any issue with 20'' in Toronto, and i have been NYC several times the road conditions are pretty similar between two cities. I think if you go with any reputable tire or wheel brand, no issue for tires and wheels even with 21'' or 22''.
Thanks wzj519. It's reassuring to read that others with 20" tires/wheels aren't having issues. I am almost done with the lease on my 550 with the M-sport package and 19" wheels/low-profile tires and over the last 2.5 years, I have had eight tires and two wheels replaced because of bubbles/blowouts, so that is making me very reluctant to get low-profile tires again.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovj829 View Post
Thanks wzj519. It's reassuring to read that others with 20" tires/wheels aren't having issues. I am almost done with the lease on my 550 with the M-sport package and 19" wheels/low-profile tires and over the last 2.5 years, I have had eight tires and two wheels replaced because of bubbles/blowouts, so that is making me very reluctant to get low-profile tires again.

-Rich
soooo sorry to hear that you put so much money on replacing tires. By the way what tire brands did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
tovj829
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzj519 View Post
soooo sorry to hear that you put so much money on replacing tires. By the way what tire brands did you use?
I was using the stock tires that came with the M-sport package, which are the notorious Goodyear Eagle LS2 245/40R19. Based on other threads, I am not alone in having major issues with these tires on the 550 car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was using the stock tires that came with the M-sport package, which are the notorious Goodyear Eagle LS2 245/40R19. Based on other threads, I am not alone in having major issues with these tires on the 550 car.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any experience with those tires, but I think the problems like tire replacements were caused by the tire quality not the low profile. If you change the other brand, may be better. OEM tires are horrible always. Goodyear eagle , Dunlop sport Maxx
2017 M3 Comp PKG 2017 MINI JCW
991.2 GT3 (coming)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

Quote:
Hi All,

I love the look of the X6 with the 20" wheels and thinking about getting one, but given all the rough roads in NYC, I'm concerned about the low-profile tires and the greater potential for bubbles, blowouts and cracked wheels.

Have any opinions/experiences to share? Please do so; I look forward to reading about it.

Thanks,
Rich
Tovj829,

To give you an idea, I was coming off the Queensboro(ugh) bridge a few months ago and hit a pothole so deep it felt like I had hit a wall. I was sure I had cracked a wheel, but luckily I didn't (that I know of to date). No bubbles either. I have the Dunlop runflats on aftermarket BMW type 20" wheels. I would assume that the OEMs are much stronger.

One thing to keep in mind if you get the Dunlop runflats; set aside a budget of about $1,200 every 12 to 18 months to replace your front tires, and about another $1,200 to replace the rears every two years. I drive somewhat moderately and my wear rate averages 1/32th per 2,000 miles - or about 1/2 32th per 1,000 miles. I estimate the rears last about twice as long. I drive an ActiveHybrid, so I don't get quick starts unless I shift into sport mode. I expect that my wear rate should be a little less than everyone else. Good to know: The fronts have 7/32ths of useable tread and the rears have 8/32ths of useable tread.

I expect to go through 4 front tires (2 sets) and 2 rear tires (1 set) in approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years. At retail, that would be about $3,500 or so in tires, mounting and balancing included. I don't pay retail for mine. I try to get them used in "like new" condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
tovj829
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rios0311 View Post
Tovj829,

To give you an idea, I was coming off the Queensboro(ugh) bridge a few months ago and hit a pothole so deep it felt like I had hit a wall. I was sure I had cracked a wheel, but luckily I didn't (that I know of to date). No bubbles either. I have the Dunlop runflats on aftermarket BMW type 20" wheels. I would assume that the OEMs are much stronger.

One thing to keep in mind if you get the Dunlop runflats; set aside a budget of about $1,200 every 12 to 18 months to replace your front tires, and about another $1,200 to replace the rears every two years. I drive somewhat moderately and my wear rate averages 1/32th per 2,000 miles - or about 1/2 32th per 1,000 miles. I estimate the rears last about twice as long. I drive an ActiveHybrid, so I don't get quick starts unless I shift into sport mode. I expect that my wear rate should be a little less than everyone else.

I expect to go through 4 front tires (2 sets) and 2 rear tires (1 set) in approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years. At retail, that would be about $3,500 or so in tires, mounting and balancing included. I don't pay retail for mine. I try to get them used in "like new" condition.
Hi rios0311,

I know that feeling all too well. I hit a similar pothole on the Palisades Parkway in NY and it felt like I got into an accident. The impact was so jarring that my first reaction was to make sure all of the passengers in my car were ok. They were fine, but two tires immediately blew out (front and rear passenger side); not a fun experience, especially being one hour away from home. I'm glad that your wheels/tires made it through without any damage; after a hit like that, you must be reassured that you have some durable wheels/tires on your car.

Thanks for the info regarding tire wear. I am still negotiating with the dealership regarding the tires that will be installed; the car comes stock with summer tires and I want to get them to install all-season tires so I won't have to change the tires twice a year. Are your Dunlops summer tires and are you swapping them out in the winter time for winter tires?

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

The Dunlops are a summer tire. We had snow today, so I drove on some of the stuff, but nothing deep. The tires worked fine.

I purchased a set of used Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice runflats and mounted them on the OEMs I took off, but was so anxious to get the new wheels installed this December that I decided to wait and use the snow tires next winter. We didn't get any significant accumulation here, so I guess I lucked out.

What I have noticed on more than one occasion is that these tires, possibly due to their width, have the tendency to hydroplane, even when new. It gives a very disconcerting feeling when you're traveling only at 60mph and hydroplane on a gradual bend on the freeway. Makes me feel uneasy now when I drive.

I used to have a VW Touareg that rode on 285mm wide tires all the way around and it never did that. I always felt confident behind the wheel, even in the torrential downpours we get in Puerto Rico.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yes the OEM tire on x6 are all Dunlop sport maxx what is summer performance tire. Just as I mentioned above, this tire may stronger than others but ride is definitely stiff.
Appreciate 0