Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
None of the other company's trying to make electrics
are even close to making something like the Telsa Models.
The Volt is like Tercel compared to a Porsche when comparing
to the Telsa's. The Pirius is the most successful hybrid so far.
Most of the other attempts are way of expensive or compromised.
The car company's that could have been a threat like honda
and Toyota went down the fuel cell route but it looks to be
pretty clear right now that battery s will win. The BMW i3 looks
pretty sad next to any Telsa.
Also nobody else has a charging network.
As far as not making any money I guess amazon is a failure.
S may not have been re designed but they have added stuff
like the sensors for auto drive and better battery in the base model
and awd standard.
You are correct, the Volt was designed as an economy car. The Tesla wasn't.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #134
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Bolt looks pretty sad to.

No Frunk and some articles say they beat Telsa to the punch
for an affordable 200 mile range electric.
but that car isn't close to the performance or claimed performance
of the model 3, and costs more to. There won't be any lines or 300k pre orders for it
I would guess.

Last edited by ctuna; 04-05-2016 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:01 AM   #135
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
No Frunk and some articles say they beat Telsa to the punch
for an affordable 200 mile range electric.
but that car isn't close to the performance or claimed performance
of the model 3, and costs more to. There won't be any lines or 300k pre orders for it
I would guess.
Since neither car is yet on sale, and both manufacturer's prices are conjecture at this moment, and neither car has been tested by the automotive press for performance numbers (i.e. weight, handling, grip, acceleration, braking, EPA class size, range and MPGe) why don't we all just hold off on the hype. The Bolt and T3 are EVs designed as different body styles. One is a sedan and one is a Economy hatchback. Whether you like the design of either car is personal choice. I think the front treatment on the T3 is hideous, but who cares what I think about the styling.

In about a year I'll be able to walk into my local Chevy dealer, test drive a Bolt, and drive it off the lot, while Telsa will be probably doing another fund me presentation on the internet with excuses why the T3 is another year late to production. Maybe by then Tesla will have one in the Tyson's Corner Mall "dealership" that I can go look at in static display and see how unimpressive the interior is.

By any account, both personal and via media, every review I've read or heard about, the Volt does exactly what it was designed to do and exceeds at meeting both its electric range and fuel consumption targets in the real world. Considering the team at GM who is designing the Bolt and taking it to production is the same team that designed and put the Volt into production, I have much more confidence that the Bolt will meet or exceed its design targets and will be in production by the target date GM has announced (late 2016).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #136
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I do agree with you on your points. However, there is one thing that is missing from your perspective.

You MUST go drive a Model S. It is a completely different experience from what you have driven in the past, and will change your opinion.

Note that this opinion comes from somebody that has driven every BMW, I have owned a 2007 335i, 2007 Z4M, 2006 330xi, 2011 335d. Driving the Tesla made those cars feel archaic and so unnecessary. It brought me to the point of I wanted to drive electric, but could not afford a Model S.

I ended up with a Volt, that does that I need it to do. But I still dream about owning a Tesla, and the Model 3 will get me there.
      04-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #137
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

This article kind of sums it up nicely

This article kind of sums it up nicely

https://stratechery.com/2016/its-a-tesla/
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #138
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Yes, Tesla marketing has succeeded. It's now clearly a prestige brand. In addition to making amazing cars, it's more importantly cool.

Like I don't understand why anyone is comparing a Tesla 3 to a Bolt. A Bolt competes with Toyota, and it is ugly.

A Tesla is cool and everyone wants to have the cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #139
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
I'll wait till the make these with a solar panel roof
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #140
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
That ll cost like thousands more and will do little to charge the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #141
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Yes, Tesla marketing has succeeded. It's now clearly a prestige brand. In addition to making amazing cars, it's more importantly cool.

Like I don't understand why anyone is comparing a Tesla 3 to a Bolt. A Bolt competes with Toyota, and it is ugly.

A Tesla is cool and everyone wants to have the cool stuff.
Depends on your goal, if it is to drive a pure electric car then it is the best car to compare to. When the Bolt comes out many will probably say they don't understand why people compare it to the car that isn't available, if you can't buy it now or soon what does it matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc328 View Post
This will never make any sense, reality is if you could produce a lot of power with a solar panel the size of the car roof you would just put it somewhere on your house/property, it would never be in the shade, and would last 15 years with almost no chance you would want to replace it or it would get damaged (or at least far less chance than the top of your car). Then with the one on your roof you don't care if it is flat, heavy, doesn't look perfect, etc.
      04-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #142
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
I do agree with you on your points. However, there is one thing that is missing from your perspective.

You MUST go drive a Model S. It is a completely different experience from what you have driven in the past, and will change your opinion.

Note that this opinion comes from somebody that has driven every BMW, I have owned a 2007 335i, 2007 Z4M, 2006 330xi, 2011 335d. Driving the Tesla made those cars feel archaic and so unnecessary. It brought me to the point of I wanted to drive electric, but could not afford a Model S.

I ended up with a Volt, that does that I need it to do. But I still dream about owning a Tesla, and the Model 3 will get me there.
Till you want to take that road trip & realize you won't come across a charging station on your route. Womp womp!

Electric cars have come a long way, but we are not there yet!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #143
mrkoven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 35i

model s looks way better than model 3
      04-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #144
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZ06 View Post
Till you want to take that road trip & realize you won't come across a charging station on your route. Womp womp!

Electric cars have come a long way, but we are not there yet!
Take a look at the supercharger network, and the destination charger network. I will have no problems finding chargers for my destinations.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #145
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Not sure if this column's been linked yet in this thread (I missed it if it had), but it sums up my thoughts pretty much exactly:

http://driving.ca/tesla/model-s/auto...l-aid-just-yet
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #146
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at the supercharger network, and the destination charger network. I will have no problems finding chargers for my destinations.
I've looked, if someone told me they planning on driving across Ohio (state I live in) and there were 6 gas stations in the whole state, 2 on the route they were going, I would be concerned. You better plan your cross country trip well in advance and plan on sitting places you don't want to be when you don't want to be there.

I figure with 6 "gas stations" in my state it would be a last resort only.
      04-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #147
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Maybe move to Canada, there are actually thousands of places you can charge.

http://chargehub.com/Charging-Stations-Map.html

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 04-06-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #148
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure there are stations on every rural & back road across the nation for when you want to take the scenic route. Oh wait, nope!

Last edited by Never_Enough; 04-07-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #149
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Maybe move to Canada, there are actually thousands of places you can charge.

http://chargehub.com/Charging-Stations-Map.html
Somehow moving to Canada so I can have access to charging stations seems to make more sense than driving a Tesla long distances on a regular basis.

Even then best case is at a Supercharger (how many of these thousands are Superchargers?) I sit there for 30 minutes so I can drive another 170 miles to the next charger.

I think for a lot of driving an electric car makes sense but if you regularly drive long distances it would be a huge mistake.
      04-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #150
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Somehow moving to Canada so I can have access to charging stations seems to make more sense than driving a Tesla long distances on a regular basis.

Even then best case is at a Supercharger (how many of these thousands are Superchargers?) I sit there for 30 minutes so I can drive another 170 miles to the next charger.

I think for a lot of driving an electric car makes sense but if you regularly drive long distances it would be a huge mistake.
Well of course, if you regularly drive long distances an EV is not for you. Just because it does not fit your lifestyle, does not mean it is not perfect for 50% of the people on the road.

Although, on our local car forum, there is a guy with a Tesla Roadster and a Model S. Several times a week he is driving between Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. He does not seem to have any problems doing that several times a week.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #151
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
I'm sure there are stations on every rural & back road across thew nation for when you want to take the scenic route. Oh wait, nope!
Unfortunately this is a reality. That is why people have electric cars as a second vehicle until that problem is solved. It sure would be nice not to have to take my motorcycle in order to drive in the car pool lane though, for some people this can save a lot of time and frustration everyday.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #152
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Unfortunately this is a reality. That is why people have electric cars as a second vehicle until that problem is solved. It sure would be nice not to have to take my motorcycle in order to drive in the car pool lane though, for some people this can save a lot of time and frustration everyday.
Defeating the purpose of being green by having it as a "second vehicle"
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #153
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Defeating the purpose of being green by having it as a "second vehicle"
Well since most families have more than one vehicle anyway at least one of them is green, which is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #154
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You are correct, the Volt was designed as an economy car. The Tesla wasn't.
Volt still remains the most practical of all the plug-ins. With the Volt you won't have the need to have a second car for making long trips. Until battery tech advances and you can charge your Telsa as fast as filling your car up with gas. The Volt will always have its own market.
Appreciate 0