XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-18-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

Dealer non-sense and say good bye to my X5 35d

Everything started all the sudden all those warning lights pop up make my dash lit up like a xmas tree. I got chassis/braking stabilization warning, abs malfunction, parking brake malfunction, 4x4 something malfunction about 6 months ago (when I was at oil field, like -45c, -49f). At that point the car hasn't been turned off since last oil change which is like 8 months ago, with that much electronics running in my car and bmw's crappy battery it is very possible the car won't restart in that kind of weather and freeze myself to death.. Anyway.

Went back to Calgary in February, discovered water in the computer (which is under the windshield wiper cover thingy), replaced and fixed most issue. Back to oil field for another month, got a int oil level low warning, have to drive all the way back to Edmonton to see what's going on, dealer reading looks fine and engine oil level is good.

The car runs fine except sometimes the idle is a little bit rough. A month ago that stupid oil level low warning come on again, also have an incorrect exhaust fluid thing going on here. filled the exhaust fluid still telling me no start. Get the car towed back to Edmonton, realize it's a faulty oil level sensor, replaced and drove all the way back to Montreal. Went to an indy shop sent a oil sample that there is coolant in the oil, asked here another member told me that head gasket is not possible to be blown on those engines. Keep driving until 2 nights ago come back to pick up the kids and the car is spewing out shit tons of smoke like a freight train on 40 ouest, loss of power and have to pull over. Called tow truck. Dealer told me I need a new motor, went to indy shop again has been told repair is very expensive.

Car only has 67k km/ 41k mi probably have over 45k hrs engine hours on the motor. Maybe I should not choose this lovely diesel machine as my work truck in the first place.

Car will be in storage unit and I don't have time or intention to fix it. maybe it will be for parts very soon. Since the car hasn't been moving a lot and no one sit in the back seat from the day I drove off the lot, no dings and no scratches should be a pretty good parts car.

Good Bye my X5, maybe I have to replace it with a F250 Limited.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
What color is your smoke?

If your loosing coolant most likely your EGR cooler is cracked. Get your car tuned and remove it. That will solve the problem.

If its black, and a rough idle you may have a bad injector.

Sounds like your dealer isn't very good, as they ought to know that these are typical issues with all diesels.

You should read in the F250 and Titan owner forms about how many EGR coolers they blow. EGR is the devil on diesels.

Not really sure that a F250 powerjoke is a way to improve reliability. I see them weekly here in Houston with blown engines (maybe too many mods) and my neighbors powerstroke seems to spend as much time at the dealer as in his drive not running.

Anyway I stick with a duramax or a cummins if you want to go the diesel route again.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
What color is your smoke?

If your loosing coolant most likely your EGR cooler is cracked. Get your car tuned and remove it. That will solve the problem.

If its black, and a rough idle you may have a bad injector.

Sounds like your dealer isn't very good, as they ought to know that these are typical issues with all diesels.

You should read in the F250 and Titan owner forms about how many EGR coolers they blow. EGR is the devil on diesels.

Not really sure that a F250 powerjoke is a way to improve reliability. I see them weekly here in Houston with blown engines (maybe too many mods) and my neighbors powerstroke seems to spend as much time at the dealer as in his drive not running.

Anyway I stick with a duramax or a cummins if you want to go the diesel route again.
Smoke is white grayish, not black. When I am attempt to restart the engine the engine become very loud and spewing out smoke like a freight train, engine flamed out after couple minutes of smoking, the smoke is kinda like when you apply seafoam to your lawn mower. I went to indy shop, their suggestion is part it out. Dealer blaming my over idling and over towing (like over the maximun capacity for 2000km) broke the motor. Which to me sounds like some sort of bullshit.

I went with a F250 because I will get it lifted 10-12 inch and fully delete it just like my old F350. My girlfriend have a 8inch lifted manual cummins and we don't really want to have the same truck. In alberta Duramax is still a joke because those stupid indipendent suspension that can't even lift over 8inch, not a real truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Dieselunlimited
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
Smoke is white grayish, not black. When I am attempt to restart the engine the engine become very loud and spewing out smoke like a freight train, engine flamed out after couple minutes of smoking, the smoke is kinda like when you apply seafoam to your lawn mower. I went to indy shop, their suggestion is part it out. Dealer blaming my over idling and over towing (like over the maximun capacity for 2000km) broke the motor. Which to me sounds like some sort of bullshit.

I went with a F250 because I will get it lifted 10-12 inch and fully delete it just like my old F350. My girlfriend have a 8inch lifted manual cummins and we don't really want to have the same truck. In alberta Duramax is still a joke because those stupid indipendent suspension that can't even lift over 8inch, not a real truck.
Your vehicle issue is minor.

Your seeing raw unburnt fuel as result of sticking injectors.

When was your last fuel filter change?

Miles on motor?

Honestly an easy fix, and depending on how dirty.... you may be able to just pull apart the injectors and clean them.

As a side note......

6.7 scorpions are nice factory motors, but nothing will compare ever to a Cummins.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:51 PM   #5
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselunlimited View Post
Your vehicle issue is minor.

Your seeing raw unburnt fuel as result of sticking injectors.

When was your last fuel filter change?

Miles on motor?

Honestly an easy fix, and depending on how dirty.... you may be able to just pull apart the injectors and clean them.

As a side note......

6.7 scorpions are nice factory motors, but nothing will compare ever to a Cummins.
It wasnt really unburned fuel, its a not so serious runaway situation. Engine has 67k km on it, have about 55k hours on it which 80% of them is idling and other is either off road driving or heavy trailer towing. Ill need a new motor or rebuild this motor for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #6
Dieselunlimited
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It wasnt really unburned fuel, its a not so serious runaway situation. Engine has 67k km on it, have about 55k hours on it which 80% of them is idling and other is either off road driving or heavy trailer towing. Ill need a new motor or rebuild this motor for sure.
Just went and read your original post.....

First thing first is compression test.

After reading, your white smoke is likely coolant in the cylinder.

IF the engine sat for long period with a possible cracked cylinder or head... there's a chance you had a flooded bore. Oil can mix in there aswell which can make a runaway engine very quickly.

Regardless, 55k hrs is a crazy amount of time on that motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just went and read your original post.....

First thing first is compression test.

After reading, your white smoke is likely coolant in the cylinder.

IF the engine sat for long period with a possible cracked cylinder or head... there's a chance you had a flooded bore. Oil can mix in there aswell which can make a runaway engine very quickly.

Regardless, 55k hrs is a crazy amount of time on that motor.
55k hrs isnt that crazy at all. we have all those tundras and savanas running non stop all year round never see those have any issue....
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Dieselunlimited
Banned
Rep

Quote:
55k hrs isnt that crazy at all. we have all those tundras and savanas running non stop all year round never see those have any issue....
Your talking about a highly emissions regulated diesel with blue....

The way these emissions controlled engines are build is highly damaging and cuts the life expectancy down significantly.

The last "truly reliable" diesels put on the market were anything non-DEF based and the DPF and EGR went bye bye.

Remember also a compression vs. combustion engine are significantly different.

At minimum do an oil analysis done: you'll learn that motor from the inside out without turning a wrench.

https://m.blackstone-labs.com/OrderTestKit
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Your talking about a highly emissions regulated diesel with blue....

The way these emissions controlled engines are build is highly damaging and cuts the life expectancy down significantly.

The last "truly reliable" diesels put on the market were anything non-DEF based and the DPF and EGR went bye bye.

Remember also a compression vs. combustion engine are significantly different.

At minimum do an oil analysis done: you'll learn that motor from the inside out without turning a wrench.

https://m.blackstone-labs.com/OrderTestKit
Just throw the X5 in my barn on the farm. Wouldnt be seeing it again unless someone want parts off it. ordered a F450 Limited. going to bmw dealer this afternoon looking for something new I need a car that handles well for summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Seems extreme to part it out for parts... I am sure you can find a competent indy in Calgary

Got pics?

How much for the grill and driver door panel window switch controller?

Anyone else find ironic Dieselunlimited drives a X6M lol... Speaking of Cummins, my buddy has Nissan Titan with the Cummins and the dealers out here are clueless on diesel tech. It's the best engine but too bad Nissan doesn't train their techs.

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213

Last edited by sunny_j; 06-20-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
Dieselunlimited
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
Seems extreme to part it out for parts... I am sure you can find a competent indy in Calgary

Got pic?

How much for the grill and driver door panel window switch controller?

Anyone else find ironic Dieselunlimited drives a X6M lol... Speaking of Cummings, my buddy has Nissan Titan with the Cummings and the dealers out here are clueless on diesel tech. It's the best engine but too bad Nissan doesn't train their techs.
Please stop saying Cummings lol! There's no G!

The X6m is my slow car.... wife's driving it til the new navigator rolls off the line! Wish it was an m550d x6.

This is my 1300hp daily..... 64.5sxe/ ETR 488 V2 pushing over 80psi. Its heavy as shit and will out run the x6m.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Fixed the typo lol

Man that is a beast!!!

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0