XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #45
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

Start closest to dump pipe flange and work down, using about half an inch overlap.
Just use banjo clamps to hold it at the ends - makes it much easier to adjust if needed.

Soaking in water makes it more pliable, meaning you can can wrap tighter, but not really necessary IMO.

Depending on the brand you buy, some need burn-in (can smoke like bejeezus for a while after install).
      12-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #46
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5 guy View Post
That's awesome you are so DIY capable. I can definitely rest easy.

Still have the mcb engine cover. Be a good Christmas present for the beast.
Thanks! I'm glad I'm not tarnishing the Blue Beast's rep! My wife keeps calling the beast a hooch since she is always getting my attention and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Looking forward to the next DIY write-up. It's one of the main reasons for coming to this awesome board. Keep up the great work you do for all of us!
I'm glad to help! Though hopefully I won't have to do any DIYs in the near future...the longer the time in between mandatory maintenance the better lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Holy crap, I didn't know you made those intakes...great job! I've got aftermarket catless downpipes as well that I'm waiting to put on, I've just never wrapped exhaust like that before. You start near the top or bottoms? How much overlap? What did you say about getting them wet first? I need more exhaust straps, I think I've only got like 3 :/
Yeah, but I haven't made intakes that work yet, hopefully soon. I started the wrap on the bottom with minimum of 1/4" overlap. I bought a roll of 50 feet and cut it in half then used each half on each of the pipes. I got from the bottom all the way up to the turbo flange and began a double wrap on the way back down till about five inches past the last O2 sensor. You can see in the pick below where there are two ties...that's where the wrap ended. I read that normal wrap requires you to soak the wrap in water before applying it...the "lava" wrap I bought said specifically not to do this; it would probably wash out all the pulverized volcanic rock from the fiberglass and make the expense pointless. The ties are pretty cheap on Amazon! Maybe cheaper for all on ebay though.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #47
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
Start closest to dump pipe flange and work down, using about half an inch overlap.
Just use banjo clamps to hold it at the ends - makes it much easier to adjust if needed.

Soaking in water makes it more pliable, meaning you can can wrap tighter, but not really necessary IMO.

Depending on the brand you buy, some need burn-in (can smoke like bejeezus for a while after install).
Yep, mine smoked like crazy after driving around...thought I had an exhaust leak or did something wrong...smoke was coming from under the truck and around the hood...looked crazy. The smoking stopped after the next day but the smell was still there for a week or so.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #48
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Bump for intakes!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #49
jandref321
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpie89 View Post
Bump for intakes!
Argh, sorry...I spent my whole Christmas vacation painting the stupid calipers. Took three days to get the old paint off (learned how to use stripper finally) and then several days painting and repainting after messing up and letting brake fluid leak onto the finished product. I had a list of stuff to do including the intakes but the calipers took all my time. I’ll get to the intakes when I can but still working on catch cans also...and starting training classes with my pup so busy busy.
Appreciate 0