XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
akphil80
Rep
Drives: 2008 X6 35

After market subwoofer

I just recently had an after market subwoofer put in my x6. They hooked it up to my stock head unit of course. And they way the stock stereo is tuned with all the fiber optics bmw uses, no shop in my state can figure out how to get a full signal off the new sub. It only puts about half of the sound of its full potential. Has anybody done this or had the same problem??? Please help!!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
Hi akphil80, what processor are you using? For example mObridge or Motuslab since you mention you are getting the digital audio source from the fiber optics cable. Do you have any picture of the processor?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
akphil80
Rep

Im not sure if the shop has installed a processor? Do you mean I need a aftermarket processor then because that could def be one problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
I am sorry, I don't understand your set up. But I will try to understand. Just let me know what you have purchase and I will try to figure it out.

There is 2 option one is using the high level output from the OEM amplifier and convert into a full range signal from the external processor and use the low level signal to connect into your after market amplifier to power your after market subwoofer.

There are plenty of brand you can go for this option example audison bit one, JBL MS 8 or the Rockford 3-sixty and plenty more in the after market processor. For this option you will have to partly control your audio system through the processor.

The other is using the digital signal originally from BMW hifi system and toslink into the MObridge or the Motuslab processor. In this option you still control your entire audio system through BMW audio system and also you still need a after market amp to power your sub woofer.

From what I think you must have connect directly from the OEM amplifier and link straight to your subwoofer. In this way the OEM amplifier won't have enough power to power up your subwoofer or low pass the signal to your subwoofer. If you have done that those are full range high voltage signal and it wont work for the sub. Anyway do you have a after market amplifier that link to your subwoofer and how big is your sub woofer?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
akphil80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
I am sorry, I don't understand your set up. But I will try to understand. Just let me know what you have purchase and I will try to figure it out.

There is 2 option one is using the high level output from the OEM amplifier and convert into a full range signal from the external processor and use the low level signal to connect into your after market amplifier to power your after market subwoofer.

There are plenty of brand you can go for this option example audison bit one, JBL MS 8 or the Rockford 3-sixty and plenty more in the after market processor. For this option you will have to partly control your audio system through the processor.

The other is using the digital signal originally from BMW hifi system and toslink into the MObridge or the Motuslab processor. In this option you still control your entire audio system through BMW audio system and also you still need a after market amp to power your sub woofer.

From what I think you must have connect directly from the OEM amplifier and link straight to your subwoofer. In this way the OEM amplifier won't have enough power to power up your subwoofer or low pass the signal to your subwoofer. If you have done that those are full range high voltage signal and it wont work for the sub. Anyway do you have a after market amplifier that link to your subwoofer and how big is your sub woofer?
So it sounds like the mobridge is the best one to go with, if I want to keep all my features and have more control?? Thank you for you help sounds like one of these will do the trick.
Appreciate 0