XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Possible Transfer Case Issue?

Hello,

I have a 2007 BMW X3 with 102K miles on it (primarily highway driven), and a mechanic diagnosed the transfer case as bad. Basically, when the car goes over a speed bump and a hard right turn is taken, a "bump" is felt for the passenger. The mechanic showed me this issue since I wasn't aware of it. However I find it hard to replicate this scenario, and the car feels normal both on highway and city, and there are no fault codes in INPA (the mechanic also said there are no fault codes, but it's a mechanical issue.) At first the mechanic suspected the rear differential, but after changing the fluid, checking it, and test driving, he says its fine and in good condition. He also said the front differential is in good condition. When the transfer case fluid was drained, it came out as silver . However, there were no metallic particles in it (mechanic allowed me to feel it and he also felt it), so I'm assuming water contamination? I did the tranny fluid myself, and that looked fine (although dark no burnt smell and pretty much typical drop the pan, change the filter etc.)
Also, whenever I hard corner (like autocrossing...really hard), it makes a metal on metal shriek sound and the mechanic said it could be the transfer case, or brake rotors rubbing on the backplate,etc. However upon reading: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=463848&page=3
it seems the transfer case may not be the issue? The brake pad warning light is on (came on recently), so that may be the issue for the shriek noise? (I plan to change rear pads+rotors since the car is used and I can't find previous records for the rear ever being changed for rotors, only for front pads and rotors and rear just pads were done). I'm pretty sure the rear springs are in good condition (based on visual inspection)?
Basically, could the transfer case be the issue, or is it most likely just nothing and I should just drive the car like normal and just do the brake job? Any way to really test the transfer case? Should I get a second mechanic's opinion? Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Heard that the transfer case is similar to the X5...that's why i'm posting here since the X3 section has little to no activity
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Hello,

I have a 2007 BMW X3 with 102K miles on it (primarily highway driven), and a mechanic diagnosed the transfer case as bad. Basically, when the car goes over a speed bump and a hard right turn is taken, a "bump" is felt for the passenger. The mechanic showed me this issue since I wasn't aware of it. However I find it hard to replicate this scenario, and the car feels normal both on highway and city, and there are no fault codes in INPA (the mechanic also said there are no fault codes, but it's a mechanical issue.) At first the mechanic suspected the rear differential, but after changing the fluid, checking it, and test driving, he says its fine and in good condition. He also said the front differential is in good condition. When the transfer case fluid was drained, it came out as silver . However, there were no metallic particles in it (mechanic allowed me to feel it and he also felt it), so I'm assuming water contamination? I did the tranny fluid myself, and that looked fine (although dark no burnt smell and pretty much typical drop the pan, change the filter etc.)
Also, whenever I hard corner (like autocrossing...really hard), it makes a metal on metal shriek sound and the mechanic said it could be the transfer case, or brake rotors rubbing on the backplate,etc. However upon reading: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=463848&page=3
it seems the transfer case may not be the issue? The brake pad warning light is on (came on recently), so that may be the issue for the shriek noise? (I plan to change rear pads+rotors since the car is used and I can't find previous records for the rear ever being changed for rotors, only for front pads and rotors and rear just pads were done). I'm pretty sure the rear springs are in good condition (based on visual inspection)?
Basically, could the transfer case be the issue, or is it most likely just nothing and I should just drive the car like normal and just do the brake job? Any way to really test the transfer case? Should I get a second mechanic's opinion? Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Heard that the transfer case is similar to the X5...that's why i'm posting here since the X3 section has little to no activity
Well always get a second opinion regardless.

But when my transfer case failed it would cause the car to vibrate bad on hard left or right turns but it would drive fine in a straight line.

But theirs bound to be other ways where it could cause different issues but vibration when turning left or right or turning in reverse is the most common.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

mine felt like a locked front diff when turning all the way right or left and giving some gas. like all the wheels are fighting each other
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Figured out the issues. Brake light was a bad install of the brake sensor, and the car kept giving the 54C6 oil wear code since no mechanic has ever bothered to use ISTA! It's surprising how the mechanic reported "No Errors" when INPA kept reporting this issue after clearing. After adaptation, now it doesn't give that slight bump when turning.
Appreciate 0