XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-06-2010, 02:48 AM   #45
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
LOL

Jag and Range Rover now belong to the Indians,
Tara motors.
" the Sun shall never set on the British Empire"
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #46
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

It is obvious the tires are the problem with an x6, RR goes uphil, it was designed under BMW cap (when it was introduced). A friend of mine had this RR, it was good when it was under warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #47
artrosis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 ///M

That guy doing the review is a fucking retard. He's too old and not in tune with the younger generation. They need to have young people do the car reviews if you want to get accurate information; not these old crusty bastards who didnt grow up with technology.

He didnt bother to mention on TV that he was using "Ultra High Performance Summer Tires" and he did this maliciously and intentionally to make the cars performance look worse than it actually is.

The angle of the grassy hill the Range Rover drove up wasnt the same steepness as the spot the X6 was in. The part of the hill where the Range Rover drove up was flatter but was hard to tell from the angle of the shot; you can clearly see that in the video when you compare vehicle height.

They made it appear as if the Range Rover negotiated the same angle, when it didn't. The part where the Range Rover drove up was much less of an angle. They tried to drive the Range Rover up the same part as the X6 initially in an outtake, and it couldnt make it either, thats why they decided to drive it past the X6 on a lesser angle incline. In fact, neither vehicles could drive up the exact spot where the X6 was.

They also wetted down the grassy hill where the X6 was, thats why the car slid back. Range Rover paid for the promotion because the X6 is their biggest competition. People that can see through his out dated and old geezer approaches, wont buy into his euro trash car review nonsense.

Last edited by artrosis; 01-06-2010 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:26 AM   #48
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
ok strange logic but I'll bite, if you haven't experienced something how do you objectively critique it ?

I really don't care if people like it or not (to each his own) but as an engineer I have a hard time grasping the concept of a conclusion without any data.
How is it strange logic? He said the naysayers don't own one. I pointed out if they don't like the car why would they own one. Do you buy things you don't like? Do you feel like you have to own something to be able to say "I don't like that"? How many people have you heard on BMW forums rip on American vehicles? Should they not be able to have an opinion about them because they don't own one? Obviously if they own a BMW they could have bought most American vehicles on the market but choose not to for some reason.

I looked at and drove an X6 while shopping for my most recent car and just didn't get it or like it. Pretty much everyone else here has the same ability to go to a dealer and look at/ drive one as well I'd assume. Who says they have no "data"?

You obviously own one and it works for you. Congrats. I'm glad you like your car and I'm not being sarcastic. Everyone should like the cars they own. I have an affection for the G-wagen. I can't explain why but, I do. It makes about as much sense as the X6 does in this economic climate though. I think the point JC is making is the niche for this car is so small nowadays that in a time where companies need to be streamlined and cutting overhead it doesn't make a lot of sense anymore.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 01-06-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 06:29 AM   #49
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
as far as the snow , yes with the right tires. there are many owners hear that live where it snows and with "winter tires" say it performs amazingly.
Correct, I basically said as much in another part of the forum, but even with the 'summer' tyres as you Americans call them the X6 performs well. But JC is correct on a few points about the X6's off-road ability, it's not got a proper off-road setup, it's basically an AWD system for the road and nothing else. On equal rubber the RR will out perform the X6 everywhere simply because it's got a proper off-road setup.

But he is right, the car is pointless. It's like the M6, doesn't do anything better than the M5 and is also impractical in comparison but charges more (a lot more) for the pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #50
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrosis View Post
That guy doing the review is a fucking retard. He's too old and not in tune with the younger generation. They need to have young people do the car reviews if you want to get accurate information; not these old crusty bastards who didnt grow up with technology.

He didnt bother to mention on TV that he was using "Ultra High Performance Summer Tires" and he did this maliciously and intentionally to make the cars performance look worse than it actually is.

The angle of the grassy hill the Range Rover drove up wasnt the same steepness as the spot the X6 was in. The part of the hill where the Range Rover drove up was flatter but was hard to tell from the angle of the shot; you can clearly see that in the video when you compare vehicle height.

They made it appear as if the Range Rover negotiated the same angle, when it didn't. The part where the Range Rover drove up was much less of an angle. They tried to drive the Range Rover up the same part as the X6 initially in an outtake, and it couldnt make it either, thats why they decided to drive it past the X6 on a lesser angle incline. In fact, neither vehicles could drive up the exact spot where the X6 was.

They also wetted down the grassy hill where the X6 was, thats why the car slid back. Range Rover paid for the promotion because the X6 is their biggest competition. People that can see through his out dated and old geezer approaches, wont buy into his euro trash car review nonsense.
Wow. Really?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #51
a1reader
Evolve tuned...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Well I guess it comes down to what the definition of "more all rounded than something so specific" is , which would depend on what you use your vehicle for.

There isn't any place an X5 can go that an X6 can't but people would argue that it can carry more cargo and people, I don't need to carry more cargo or people so for me even an X5 would not be more "all rounded".

'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists', I guess that comes down to what world you live in.
Well said!!! I could not agree more.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #52
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Hotrod,
No! But if you don't own one and hang your hat on an eight minute video report full of lies you are a fool. Example...he claimed there is no head room in the back seat. I'm 6"2" and I fit fine, no head banging. If you don't like the car fine but, again, to put it bluntly if you don't own and drive one you don't know what you're talking about. It's known as 'experience'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
So people should buy a car they don't like just to be able to criticize it? I mean really what are you saying? Of course people who don't like the car aren't going to own one.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #53
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Skywagon - love the Cessna 180 or 185. I fly a perfect, perfectly maintained, 1957 180A that has almost all of the bells and whistles. No better all-round plane has ever been made. Sorry for unrelated BMW post to all those members out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Hotrod,
No! But if you don't own one and hang your hat on an eight minute video report full of lies you are a fool. Example...he claimed there is no head room in the back seat. I'm 6"2" and I fit fine, no head banging. If you don't like the car fine but, again, to put it bluntly if you don't own and drive one you don't know what you're talking about. It's known as 'experience'.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #54
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

hahaha, JC () presented a lot of stupid examples with this car... with proper tyres this car can climb almost every hill, coverd with grass, snow, mud... with performance tyres it can act better than every SUV!!!
So, my conclusion about X6: u can buy an amazing, unique 4x4: with adequate tyres it performs acceptable in off road conditions, but with performance tyres it is the best in class!
This car is not for pensioners, but JC should be one of them!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #55
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Hotrod,
I completely agree that you most likely will not appreciate the finer details of a vehicle unless you own one and if you base your opinion solely on a magazine or TV review of a vehicle you are a fool.

However, the point I'm making is you don't have to buy buy a vehicle to have an opinion on it or to know what you are talking about. We all own BMW's so most of us get down to the dealership fairly regularly ( )and have a chance to see and touch maybe even drive these vehicles to form our own opinions. The X6 is for a niche market (that some would argue is getting smaller as the economic climate changes) which means a lot of people aren't going to get it or like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #56
howieR
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i & X5

Top Gear X6 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post

Jeremy Clarkson has long been accused of being anti BMW. A reputation he certainly earned. But as of late, he has changed his tune and has been actually praising most recent BMWs. Unfortunatly, it seems in this episode, Clarkson isn't very fond of the X6. Regardless, in typical Top Gear style, his review is very entertaining and he mixes his opinion with great visuals and entertainment all the way through. The sub plot of the entire review is hilarious!
Comment:
I Watched this show, and being aware of Jeremy's attitude in the past to BMW, was most interested to see what he had to say.(Particularly as owner of a BMW X5 twin turbo diesel).

It was funny and entertaining, which is their first goal I guess, but it annoyed me because he used the tired old example of how a Range Rover can drive up a muddy English hillside and a BMW can't.

Who cares!

I only ever drive on road, and the X5 and X6 do that very well. They also do it a lot faster than a Range Rover and a lot more economically. He didn't bother to mention those two rather important facts in his comparison. He also showed a X6 slipping and sliding in the snow. Surely it must have had 'summer tyres'. We have our X5 in Klosters Switzerland in the snow with steep drives and roadways, and it drives up them 'like a 4 wheel drive tractor' - NEVER slipping like he showed.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #57
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Vintage,
Thanks. It's a 185 I found in pieces in northern WI years ago. The gents had bought it in Canada and had started a restoration. I had the chance to, essentially, have it custom built. Owned it for about four years and then sold it because no one in my family was really into it as much as I was. Such is life. Great airplane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Skywagon - love the Cessna 180 or 185. I fly a perfect, perfectly maintained, 1957 180A that has almost all of the bells and whistles. No better all-round plane has ever been made. Sorry for unrelated BMW post to all those members out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #58
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by howieR View Post
I only ever drive on road, and the X5 and X6 do that very well. They also do it a lot faster than a Range Rover and a lot more economically. He didn't bother to mention those two rather important facts in his comparison. He also showed a X6 slipping and sliding in the snow. Surely it must have had 'summer tyres'. We have our X5 in Klosters Switzerland in the snow with steep drives and roadways, and it drives up them 'like a 4 wheel drive tractor' - NEVER slipping like he showed.
He hates BMW. He probably made them slip on purpose.
      01-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #59
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

a) He has bagged every single brand out there, somewhere in time. He has praised many BMWs too. It's an entertainment show - take it as that.
b) The x6 is for people who have an identity crisis - ie don't know what they want. It is a bit of a SUV, a bit of a sports car and a bit of a GT, but will never do the best on everything. It is a car full of compromise - yes, I love the look every time I saw it in the dealership, but no, it's not for me. People who owns a X6 would have more than 1 car anyway, so why not buy 2 cars for dedicated purposes? I don't understand.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #60
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
a) He has bagged every single brand out there, somewhere in time. He has praised many BMWs too. It's an entertainment show - take it as that.
b) The x6 is for people who have an identity crisis - ie don't know what they want. It is a bit of a SUV, a bit of a sports car and a bit of a GT, but will never do the best on everything. It is a car full of compromise - yes, I love the look every time I saw it in the dealership, but no, it's not for me. People who owns a X6 would have more than 1 car anyway, so why not buy 2 cars for dedicated purposes? I don't understand.
Interesting I bought the X6 ( had bunch of X5's) because:
A) wanted a car that was comfortable for long trips but sporty to drive
B) have performance characteristics like TT8, AWD and DPC.
C) I can afford to buy as many cars as I like but x6 suits all my needs
(I didn't accumulate money by wasting it)
D) I am a non comformist and wanted something different than what everyone else had, as I think they have an identity crisis by being afraid to appear to be different than the rest of the pack.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #61
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
D) I am a non comformist and wanted something different than what everyone else had, as I think they have an identity crisis by being afraid to appear to be different than the rest of the pack.
+1 same here
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #62
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

I have never understood the "useless" slam on the X6. If it's useless then so is any wagon. Yes the X6 doesn't have as much room as an X5 but it still has plenty. It's a very functional vehicle that looks a lot better than any of the stale, boxy, grocery-getting midsized SUVs out there. If all you're concerned about it the amount it can haul go buy a Suburban.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #63
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I have never understood the "useless" slam on the X6. If it's useless then so is any wagon. Yes the X6 doesn't have as much room as an X5 but it still has plenty. It's a very functional vehicle that looks a lot better than any of the stale, boxy, grocery-getting midsized SUVs out there. If all you're concerned about it the amount it can haul go buy a Suburban.
agree for some reason because it has AWD it gets slammed for not being to carry what suburban can or crawl over boulders like a jeep.
find it interesting the same criteria is not applied to cars like a 4 wheel drive porche.
not sure where the Borg thinking that cars have to have function rather than be fun to drive came from.
must be non cars guys, no dis ladies 'car person' just doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #64
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

JC's review of the x3 is equally entertaining!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #65
bbmw
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6 35d 2010

if you check http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/ not one of the bmw cars get good reviews...
  • x5: "Can lap the Nurburgring in 10 and a half minutes, but we've been unable to locate anybody who cared"
  • x6: "What the hell is that? No, seriously, what the hell is THAT?"
  • m6: "Capable of speeds that can re-arrange your face and force your eyes shut. Great – you won’t have to look at it"
etc etc

Topgear is a great show, but for entertainment, not for good facts...

ps: landrover - rangerover
"‘If the Rolls-Royce Phantom was an off-roader, then this is pretty much what it would look like. Motoring royalty, and one of the best things about life in general.’"

come on, bmw x6 is better looking than a range rover! it's like comparing a performance road car with a tractor....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #66
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
+1000!

E)Girls love it!..it a pussy magnet!
Appreciate 0