XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #23
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

i liked the X6 until i saw the above pic. it doenst look right there. almost like a cheapo shit bodykit on a saloon.....it doesnt look like an SUV there at all....gotta be the odd angle?!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #24
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Slow as a turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
+1

bmw really fucked up with the whole M X5/6 thing there no better then MB with there AMG suvs
I dont think they "fucked up" per se'. Their just makin' money. It's like calling a rock band sell outs caused they signed on to a major label. It's not gonna keep people from buying m3's, m5's and m6's. Now people are going to buy x6m's and x5m's aswell.
      06-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #25
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
I dont think they "fucked up". Their just makin' money. It's like calling a rock band sell outs when they sign with a major label. It's not gonna keep people from buying m3's, m5's and m6's. Now people are going to buy x6m's and x5m's aswell.
There's history behind the M's it was bmws flagship sports cars and now there's suvs in the line up you have to understand the background of bmw to be angry on what they did. And its not that the X6 looks ugly for me its more then that

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248494

here a good thread to understand why people are mad
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
There's history behind the M's it was bmws flagship sports cars and now there's suvs in the line up you have to understand the background of bmw to be angry on what they did. And its not that the X6 looks ugly for me its more then that

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248494

here a good thread to understand why people are mad
I do understand the background. I also understand BMW is a business and the M-division, which was founded as a racing department, started selling cars to the public because there was a demand for performance cars. That was in the late 70's, now, 30 years later, there is a market for performance trucks and they have started selling M-trucks to the public. How is this any different?

So the argument is that BMW is turning their backs on their "loyal fan base" of M buyers? To begin with, this fan base isn’t a particularly large % of the BMW consumer base to begin with. Then we can reduce that percentage of the M fan base by those who aren’t personally offended by BMW's choice to produce these vehicles, and the number of personally offended BMW M-enthusiasts shrinks even further. Should BMW worry that a handful of people will stop buying M cars?

The automotive world is in constant flux, it would be stupid of the BMW development group to NOT include a vehicle to compete with the Porsche Cayenne’s and the Mercedes AMG trucks. What will the M enthusiasts, who think of this as a personal affront, say when BMW M division replaces their traditionally naturally aspirated engines with forced induction engines to compete with the changing markets?

Furthermore, where will these dedicated enthusiasts go? Will they start driving Mustangs for their naturally aspirated engines? Do you think BMW will lose customers because of their choice to produce M-trucks to compete in the ever-changing market? If they are so offended by BMW's choice to produce M-division trucks it will be hypocritical of them to drive MB's whose AMG tuning department also has a line of trucks, or Porsche's, with their Cayenne's. The fact is, most of them will continue to buy M cars.

Lets face it, the BMW marketing department probably has a better idea of what will be best for their business than some BMW forum members and M-enthusiats who feel personally betrayed by a large automotive companies choice to make more money. Things will always change and I suppose there will always be a percentage of the customer base who feels as though they are in some way important, when in reality, they arent.
      06-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

German car companies are passionate about cars, in contrast US car companies are passionate about money. Today US auto industry is being dismantled in the most disrespectful way into small parts and being sold off at dirt cheap prices.

The point I am trying to make, is that if you let money become the priority in life it is only a matter of time before you have nothing to offer.

I am sure this hideous piece of machinery will bring a descent amount of profit to the company, I mean why wouldn't it? There are plenty of one-uppers that would love to get it just to impress their next door neighbor. What it is going to take away from BMW is the meaning of the letter ///M. Soon enough that letter will represent nothing more than a trim... you know much like the R/T symbol on Chryslers.

In auto industry reputation takes decades to build and only years to tarnish. BMW is still riding on their Motorsport Division reputation from the 70s and 80s. So while the actual # of true BMW gear heads right now is small, those are the folks leading the wave. When they leave the brand it will turn into nothing but a company building glorified Civics for the upper middle class.

...but then again... to each his own. Wanna know what ///M used to stand for? come visit me, I'll take you for a spin in the greatest ///M ever built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
I do understand the background. I also understand BMW is a business and the M-division, which was founded as a racing department, started selling cars to the public because there was a demand for performance cars. That was in the late 70's, now, 30 years later, there is a market for performance trucks and they have started selling M-trucks to the public. How is this any different?

So the argument is that BMW is turning their backs on their "loyal fan base" of M buyers? To begin with, this fan base isn’t a particularly large % of the BMW consumer base to begin with. Then we can reduce that percentage of the M fan base by those who aren’t personally offended by BMW's choice to produce these vehicles, and the number of personally offended BMW M-enthusiasts shrinks even further. Should BMW worry that a handful of people will stop buying M cars?

The automotive world is in constant flux, it would be stupid of the BMW development group to NOT include a vehicle to compete with the Porsche Cayenne’s and the Mercedes AMG trucks. What will the M enthusiasts, who think of this as a personal affront, say when BMW M division replaces their traditionally naturally aspirated engines with forced induction engines to compete with the changing markets?

Furthermore, where will these dedicated enthusiasts go? Will they start driving Mustangs for their naturally aspirated engines? Do you think BMW will lose customers because of their choice to produce M-trucks to compete in the ever-changing market? If they are so offended by BMW's choice to produce M-division trucks it will be hypocritical of them to drive MB's whose AMG tuning department also has a line of trucks, or Porsche's, with their Cayenne's. The fact is, most of them will continue to buy M cars.

Lets face it, the BMW marketing department probably has a better idea of what will be best for their business than some BMW forum members and M-enthusiats who feel personally betrayed by a large automotive companies choice to make more money. Things will always change and I suppose there will always be a percentage of the customer base who feels as though they are in some way important, when in reality, they arent.
      06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
German car companies are passionate about cars, in contrast US car companies are passionate about money. Today US auto industry is being dismantled in the most disrespectful way into small parts and being sold off at dirt cheap prices.

The point I am trying to make, is that if you let money become the priority in life it is only a matter of time before you have nothing to offer.

I am sure this hideous piece of machinery will bring a descent amount of profit to the company, I mean why wouldn't it? There are plenty of one-uppers that would love to get it just to impress their next door neighbor. What it is going to take away from BMW is the meaning of the letter ///M. Soon enough that letter will represent nothing more than a trim... you know much like the R/T symbol on Chryslers.

In auto industry reputation takes decades to build and only years to tarnish. BMW is still riding on their Motorsport Division reputation from the 70s and 80s. So while the actual # of true BMW gear heads right now is small, those are the folks leading the wave. When they leave the brand it will turn into nothing but a company building glorified Civics for the upper middle class.

...but then again... to each his own. Wanna know what ///M used to stand for? come visit me, I'll take you for a spin in the greatest ///M ever built.

I understand where your coming from but ///M has always stood for ///Money. Car companies are big business, the ///M division dumped the 1 series after 3 years because it wasnt making any money, even though it was a brilliant car. The only reason BMW's racing division started producing M cars for the public market was money. Come to Long Island and you will see that your fear of BMW's becoming glorified civics for the upper middle class is already the truth. The fact is, the ///M division will continue to produce brilliant performance cars, and people will continue to buy them. Dont fool yourself into thinking that BMW's M division was ever about anything other than money. The M cars have never been an exercise in engineering like the Bugatti Veyron, on which VW takes a massive loss. They have always been about producing extremely well made performance cars and making a profit for BMW.

By the way, while we may not agree on the future, or the past, of the M division, I do agree that your E30 M3 represents the pinnicle of the M-car and the only M-car with a true racing pedigree.
      06-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #29
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

ugly ass car. i would take the x5 M over that thing any day
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #30
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
ugly ass car. i would take the x5 M over that thing any day
got pics of that too!

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #31
ArabianSensation
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Blah... ///M needs to focus on sports cars not SUVs. I'd rather have an M6, I'm pretty sure its the same price as this truck
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #32
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Damn!
I would love one of those.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 01:15 AM   #33
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Paul - did you sign up for the M power tour in LA this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 02:16 AM   #34
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianSensation View Post
Blah... ///M needs to focus on sports cars not SUVs. I'd rather have an M6, I'm pretty sure its the same price as this truck
+1 what a joke!! I feel sorry for anyone who ends up buying this crap and ends up regretting

The best (or worst) part is - the X6 only seats 4l!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #35
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

looks nice
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #36
NeTWorKz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: any

GROSS.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #37
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

maybe with sum 26's it might look ok
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #38
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I love 'em both
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #39
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone is comparing any X6 to any Cayenne. One is an SUV and the other is a SAV. You can't put a trashcan full of shit in the X6 while the Cayenne probably holds 4 shit-filled trashcans.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #40
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

The M-Badge alone will spike sales... simply becasue of the afore mentioned "one -uppers". Opinions aside, that's the bottom line.

What I don't understand is that this $90,000+ car doesn't have the LED front turn signals like mine. I'd still take the X6M though.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #41
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

I like the X6M, I'd pick it over a porsche or MB truck any day. Give it a little drop and you've got a beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #42
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamarquis View Post
I like the X6M, I'd pick it over a porsche or MB truck any day. Give it a little drop and you've got a beast.
Nice work! The only thing more retarded than an X6M is a dropped X6M. You know they make cars that are lower to the ground, sit 4 and go fast, they call them sedans usually.
      06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #43
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Nice work! The only thing more retarded than an X6M is a dropped X6M. You know they make cars that are lower to the ground, sit 4 and go fast, they call them sedans usually.
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #44
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

Quote:
Yeah but this helps us folks who are vertically challenged. At 6'8" it's hard for me to find a car I'm actually comfortable in. Surprisingly my 335 coupe does an OK job with comfort for someone my size, although it is at max capacity and no human could ever sit behind me. I really wanted a car having had to drive SUV's and trucks for years and the 335 coupe pretty much fit me and just about had everything I was looking for. These SUV/SAV's always have more interior room then the cars. That x6 maybe on the radar in the next couple of years.