XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
P6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M sold, X5M sold, X6M current

Trailer brake controller - need advice

Anyone use an electric brake controller with their X5M (or any X5 for that matter)? I just installed the execuhitch. Nice kit. Pricey, but well built and I love that it's hidden. I will mostly be towing an open trailer and my miata track car. Probably just under 4,000 lb total. I've towed it many times with my Tahoe without a trailer brake controller and it works fine. But I would like the added performance of trailer brakes. The trailer has electric brakes.

Next step is to get the truck reprogrammed by a dealer. Anyone know what that means? Is it just getting the software reflashed? Pretty cool that the OEM tow harness for the X5 senses when a trailer is plugged in and automatically deactivates the rear PDC alarm, enables the zoom function on the rear-facing camera, and activates the Dynamic Stability Control functions to counteract trailer swaying or "snaking." My 4k low profile load doesn't sway much, but why not leverage the technology.

So two questions - recommendation for a brake controller and explanation of reprogramming truck to activate trailer features.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P6 View Post
Next step is to get the truck reprogrammed by a dealer. Anyone know what that means? Is it just getting the software reflashed?
Hold on there.
Didn't Execuhitch tell you programming is included in the price of the hitch?
I am assuming you bought from them directly.

I been in contact with Steve and here's his quote in my email:
Quote:
The programming is included in the cost of our hitch. We send you the cable with the hitch and you contact Okee directly
I am planning to take the Execuhitch route for my hitch and done some reading on it. If you go via dealer, you may be told that "zoom" feature is not available. That's in addition to having to pay for coding.

Besides price of programming included in hitch purchase, it appears many more things are thrown in in the same service, such as coding for fog lights, hazard lights (double-blink), disable head-light washers, increase LED brightness with headlights, close rear hatch from inside and remote, and many more things.
I sent mail to Okee (codemycar@gmail.com) to confirm what Steve at Execuhitch told me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, I found that out this morning. I had sent Steve Nance an email yesterday regarding coding. He sent me Okee's contact info and a sheet listing all the "free" coding options. Long list. And I did get a cable with my kit. But I was never told that coding was included in the price. I was set to visit my local dealer this week. I'll call Okee tomorrow and get that done. Then I can report back. Install was pretty easy. Just take your time with the bumper removal. Read all the directions first before starting. And there are a couple good youtube videos of other hitch installations for an X5 that will clarify the execuhitch written instructions.

You'll need an 18" deep socket for the bumper mount nuts. They just list 18mm in the instructions. And the one-time plastic rivets to reinstall your fender flares don't work. I'm going to pick up a handful at the dealer. But you can drive around with it as is. It's not going anywhere.

It's a great kit. When you consider all the extras and OEM wire harness, it's not much more than a Curt, and completely invisible. My hitch ball came to exactly 18" which is perfect for my trailer.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

If I was going to do it again, I would go with the wireless controller - assuming you have only one trailer. Had the dealer install the BMW branded prodigy unit.

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:57 AM   #6
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll call Okee tomorrow and get that done. Then I can report back.
Any update on the phone call?
I haven't received a reply over mail yet for my own questions..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Any update on the phone call?
I haven't received a reply over mail yet for my own questions..
Same here. Sent an appointment request via his website. No answer yet. If I don't get something by this afternoon I'll call.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Same here. Sent an appointment request via his website. No answer yet. If I don't get something by this afternoon I'll call.
Meanwhile..
How did you manage the OEM harness? I have seen some pics and videos, where connection to trailer is made by passing a wire through trunk lid and let it hang. After use, it is stored in left-side compartment in the trunk.

Below picture shows an OEM setup, where connector is setup and hardwired. Looks ugly but more functional.

[
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
P6
Private First Class
Rep

I would not pull the wiring harness through the trunk. That is sloppy. This installation is very clean and tight. The harness connects to the 7-pin plug right next to the hitch and you snake it behind the hitch (and bumper) to a spot behind the rest passenger fender where there are two rubber plugs. The wire harness snakes through one of the rubber plugs and into the trunk under the fuse box. Then everything connects to the fuse box and presto, invisible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
P6
Private First Class
Rep

And Okee responded. He sent me some files I need to download then he can start the coding. Going to do that in a couple days and probably get the coding completed next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
And Okee responded. He sent me some files I need to download then he can start the coding. Going to do that in a couple days and probably get the coding completed next week.
Yey! Got confirmation regarding price of coding included with hitch? As well as confirmation about the nice features thrown in for "free"?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
I would not pull the wiring harness through the trunk. That is sloppy.
Could you take a pic or two? Are there instructions about that setup with the hitch?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
P6
Private First Class
Rep

PM me your email and I'll send you copies of the install manuals and some pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #14
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Tooks some pics of my recent installation and attached the instruction manuals. I hate it when the picture change orientation when loaded. Too lazy to fix. You'll need to turn your head . Hardest part is removing the bumper. Just takes patience.

There is a little trimming of the bumper cover required. But it is not visible from behind the truck. You would have to lay on the ground to notice it. It’s needed for clearance around the hitch mounting hole and a little for the 7-PIN harness. Easy work for a dremel tool.

The last pic is of the wire harness where it enters the truck just under the fuse box.

I also attached a list of free coding services that come with the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
PM me your email and I'll send you copies of the install manuals and some pics tomorrow.
Ah! found instructions in the email Steve sent me. Looks neat!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Tooks some pics of my recent installation and attached the instruction manuals.
Good job!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
p66 Was coding performed yet? How did it go?
I ordered Execuhitch today (Hitch, OEM harness, bike adaptor, standard ball mount (2" rise)). Asked them to ship coding wires as well so not to waste time waiting for Okee to ship the wires.
Need to setup an appointment with Okee soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #18
P6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
p66 Was coding performed yet? How did it go?
I ordered Execuhitch today (Hitch, OEM harness, bike adaptor, standard ball mount (2" rise)). Asked them to ship coding wires as well so not to waste time waiting for Okee to ship the wires.
Need to setup an appointment with Okee soon.
Okee was out for a couple weeks. He just responded today. Trying to set up an appointment this week. I'll let you know how it goes. I ordered exactly what you did. It came with the obd cable. I towed my track car this past weekend. Worked great.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:09 AM   #19
hshams28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Tooks some pics of my recent installation and attached the instruction manuals. I hate it when the picture change orientation when loaded. Too lazy to fix. You'll need to turn your head . Hardest part is removing the bumper. Just takes patience.

There is a little trimming of the bumper cover required. But it is not visible from behind the truck. You would have to lay on the ground to notice it. It’s needed for clearance around the hitch mounting hole and a little for the 7-PIN harness. Easy work for a dremel tool.

The last pic is of the wire harness where it enters the truck just under the fuse box.

I also attached a list of free coding services that come with the install.

Great job! I really like the look of this. I am new to the BMW world and would really like to get the same hitch receiver you have on there. Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but would you mind sharing where you got the hitch from?
Appreciate 0