XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-14-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
PranK
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, E90 335i, E70 X5

Yet another tailgate thread (a little different to the others)

Hi All,

We bought our 2012 30d about 3 months ago, the tailgate worked perfectly when we got it but has slowly deteriorated to a point where its probably functioning around the 50% mark and having to be manually opened or closed otherwise.

Things we've tested;
Engine on / off (in case battery was weak) - no change
Dash button / key button / handle - All the same (We have EU spec models in Australia, so key button works for up and down)
Visually inspected all wiring into the tailgate - nothing seems broken, taught or worn
Inspected the switch in the handle. In perfect shape and responds to every touch (clicks, see below).
Good ol' slamming of the bottom part.
Checked Carly for errors - none

Inconclusive tests;
We *think* it might perform better on level ground. Ie, at shopping centres. Can't really confirm this though.

The handle and buttons cause a click in the tailgate
When we close the tailgate, the motor to pull the tailgate in to the body still works - as does releasing the tailgate when opening. This suggests that sensors and switches are ok (I think?)

So, considering the intermittent behaviour and considering all the other threads I've read about were either consistently failing or when intermittent it was the wiring in the tailgate, none of those problems appear to match mine.

I'm hoping you guys can give me a little help on what to test next?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Have you tried maybe adjusting the latch on the center lower tailgate? I think what you're describing I had happen when I didn't adjust the latch correctly. I would hear the click, or it wouldn't open/close properly. Adjusted the latch a bit more and perfect.

Maybe you could try that, simple and fast enough to try if you haven't already.
      07-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

I had some issues with my not working sporadically. I later found other items of the car that would work intermittently. My issue turned out to be the junction box module/JBE. Essentially this computer module connected to the fuse box activates and sends power to different components in the car. replacing this module fixed my issues. There's ways to test this module using ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
PranK
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, E90 335i, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Have you tried maybe adjusting the latch on the center lower tailgate? I think what you're describing I had happen when I didn't adjust the latch correctly. I would hear the click, or it wouldn't open/close properly. Adjusted the latch a bit more and perfect.

Maybe you could try that, simple and fast enough to try if you haven't already.
Hmm, that sounds possible for opening and the final catch closing, but what about the movement of total open to all the way down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I had some issues with my not working sporadically. I later found other items of the car that would work intermittently. My issue turned out to be the junction box module/JBE. Essentially this computer module connected to the fuse box activates and sends power to different components in the car. replacing this module fixed my issues. There's ways to test this module using ISTA.
Ok cool, I'll check that but everything else seems fine (so far).

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0