XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
TobyIgo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Truck

Bimmer Virgin - 35d vs 35i

Hi all... I had purchased my first bimmer a couple years ago (2011 35d) and absolutely fell in love with BMW. This thing drove like a dream. It had approximately 80k miles on it when I purchased it. After about 8-9 months of ownership, I started having little things pop up here and there and realized then how expensive BMW ownership can be. I had some idea going in, but wow ... these little things opened my eyes. Anyway, long story short ... a few months later I started having diesel fuel exhaust issues. My mechanic told me to take it to the dealership for repair because the issues were supposed to be covered under warranty. They started their diagnosis and told me before they could do anything with that one particular thing, that we'd have to do a-b-c first and then it came down to needing a new catalytic converter, which is where I drew the line and decided to unload my x5. I've missed my x5, so I'm looking to get back in the game, but this time, buy a newer model with fewer miles. So I'm curious which year is supposedly best for the X5 and which model? I really love diesel x5, but I am open to hearing some thoughts and opinions about the 35i as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
deadlyrhythm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW X5d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sad to hear you let it go!

We have an X5 diesel and a 335 with an N54 engine. It's super hard to think of going to a 35i in the X5 but we had the glow plugs and power module for them recently die in the diesel, and that's a seriously pricey touch.

BMW dealer said to replace both the turbos (>$10k), while another shop said "don't bother, keep trucking." Scary thought to think there's a vast difference in opinion.

I love diesels and always have. These new systems took a robust engine and made them into a flower-petal-covered-bowling-ball.

We're looking for another BMW now (I'm selling my Mercedes) and I'm torn what engine and model to buy...
Appreciate 0