XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Help! The dealership just sold me a lemon!?

I just purchased a 2011 X5 xDrive35i Premium on November 3rd. The car drive great, but after driving it home I noticed the MPG gauge was not working and there was a subtle rattle noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounded like some plastic part is rattling against a metal frame when going over uneven pavement. So I brought it to the dealership the next day and they said the entire instrument cluster will need to be replaced and the rattle noise could not be duplicated by the tech. It took them 3 days for the repair, and I was given a mini cooper to drive for the weekend, which was not a big deal. Once I got my car back everything was fine, no problem with the MPG gauge. After driving the car for 3 days I started to hear the rattle noise again, so I called my service advisor and he said to bring it in for a drive with the tech. During the drive the rattle noise was duplicated and the car was taken in for the repair. The next day, the service advisor called and said that this is a complicated issue since the engine has so many parts and will take some time. Up until now the car is still at the dealership. They still don't know what is making that rattling noise. I am really frustrated . I am wondering what legal step can I take in returning the car? Any input would be nice! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Uhm, why should it be a lemon. There is a defect and they are trying to fix it. And of course it is not the dealerships fault, they did not build. Keep uin mind they make money fixing the car, so they definately want to
In Germany if an issue is not fixed the third time you have the right to exchange for a similiar product. Stateside dunno.
Good luck in any case!!!!
      11-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
rtcage
Rep
Drives: Maybe a 2011 X5

I'm not positive but I believe the lemon law kicks in after a dealer has attempted to repair an issue a certain number of times without success. I'm not sure if it covers non-mechanical issues like rattles.

Be patient and give them a chance to fix it. If they can't, then call BMW customer service who will likely get a regional person involved.

As good as Toyota cars are, I had a ton of rattles on one of my Lexuses. The dealer wasn't able to fix it until I called customer service and raised hell.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It's a bummer that you are having a couple of issues, but the car certainly doesn't constitute a lemon and you get a loaner to drive, if the mini is too small have them replace your loaner with something larger if you need the room and let them fix it. Most lemon laws kick in after 3 attempts to repair the same issue or a total of 20 days in the shop.

Both issues are minor and can happen - it is a car, things will go wrong and it isn't a Honda, so more things will go wrong!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
vimzin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Agree with everyone else dosnt sound like a lemon. Wait a little bit for them to fix the issue
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep

My car is still in the shop, this sucks since I can't even drive my brand new car for the holidays. The regional tech is still trying to figure out what's making the weird rattle noise from the engine. They been working on it for 25 days already. Just 5 more days until I can really do anything. Man this is so frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Is the rattle speed specific? Where is it coming from - engine bay, rear ... ?

I have found that boards like this and Outpost have a wealth of experience that goes far beyond that of any SA and of many techs. If you can describe the rattle you may have a fellow poster who has had the same issue. You might want to start a new thread that asks for help with a "rattle in xxxxx" as some veterans do not read posts with "dealership and lemon" in the title.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
Is the rattle speed specific? Where is it coming from - engine bay, rear ... ?

I have found that boards like this and Outpost have a wealth of experience that goes far beyond that of any SA and of many techs. If you can describe the rattle you may have a fellow poster who has had the same issue. You might want to start a new thread that asks for help with a "rattle in xxxxx" as some veterans do not read posts with "dealership and lemon" in the title.
The rattle noise is coming from the engine compartment on the driver's side. The rattle will get louder the longer you drive it. Also there is a slight vibration coming from the rattle as well. Techs stated that this is very strange and have not seen anything like this before. They have ripped apart the engine and checked for any loose bolts or screws, but could not figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Also bear in mind the dealer will have contacted BMWs own tech people. Chances are, their local rep will be out to look at the issue if they are unable to find a fix. The good news is at least they are able to hear the issue for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
rtcage
Rep
Drives: Maybe a 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
The good news is at least they are able to hear the issue for themselves.
Nothing is worse than taking a car in for something and having them say that they can't reproduce the problem!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep

Got a call from BMW NA today. Their own tech cannot figure out what is making that strange rattle noise. They are going to let me know next week if I can return the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
dreamerx5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 (LEMON)

What happen with your X5? I think im gettting the same sound as you did. I have arattling noise coming from the engine as i accelerate. It comes and goes. Never constant but everytime i accelerate, it's there. Now i took it to BMW and they told me that they don't hear it.
Appreciate 0