XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
egg666
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP/YMBlue/Black/MP Kit///

Is it necessary for a pair of 315 rear tires?

X6 DPC is suppose to distribute power to the wheels most needed. I just wonder would that work better with all 4 tires in same size?

Of course it looks awesome with a pair of 315 but is it more of a styling then "real" benefits? Surely 50i would have more power to spare but for 35i may just cost more fuel? (sorry the gas here cost USD2.10 a liter)

Having said that if that can contribute for better handling or performance I'm willing to pay extra fuel...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg666 View Post
X6 DPC is suppose to distribute power to the wheels most needed. I just wonder would that work better with all 4 tires in same size?

Of course it looks awesome with a pair of 315 but is it more of a styling then "real" benefits? Surely 50i would have more power to spare but for 35i may just cost more fuel? (sorry the gas here cost USD2.10 a liter)

Having said that if that can contribute for better handling or performance I'm willing to pay extra fuel...

Thanks!
Two things:

1) As far as I know, the DPC works only (or primarily) on the rear wheels. The xDrive system (as in previous generation X models) is responsible for the the power distribution between the front and rear wheels. First, the car will try and use the DPC to correct whatever it thinks need correcting, if that fails, it will fall back onto DSC (which uses the brakes) to correct or help with the steering of the car. Because of this, it should not matter that the front wheels are of different size than the rear wheels.

2) If you are that much concerned about the fuel cost, I would suggest you look at cars that weigh less and consume less gas!
You will just end up being too concerned about the cost of gas instead of enjoying the drive in your new X6
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Two things:

1) As far as I know, the DPC works only (or primarily) on the rear wheels. The xDrive system (as in previous generation X models) is responsible for the the power distribution between the front and rear wheels. First, the car will try and use the DPC to correct whatever it thinks need correcting, if that fails, it will fall back onto DSC (which uses the brakes) to correct or help with the steering of the car. Because of this, it should not matter that the front wheels are of different size than the rear wheels.

2) If you are that much concerned about the fuel cost, I would suggest you look at cars that weigh less and consume less gas!
You will just end up being too concerned about the cost of gas instead of enjoying the drive in your new X6
Yes i agree with you,on the other hand you can put 19 inches wheels with 285 rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:

Thanks!

All 4-tires of the same size would not work well for performance.

That's why all sports car have wider rear tires than front tires.

If you care about gas mileage, get the 35i or something else that's better on gas.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #5
leonelm3
SHOCKINVIBES MOTORSPORTS !
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001AA SC E46M3+09AudiQ7 Sline

Cool X6 Tire size and DSC / DPC conversation

Quote:

Thanks!
egg666, Read my 2cents below

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Two things:

+2
IMO wheel sizes matter greatly. Our Engineers over at BMW know what and why they do what they do which result in what we get and why the aftermarket is so lucrative. on a vehicle the size and weight of the X6 it is best to have the front wheels not as wide as the rears yet still as wide as possible so to still allow for quick, CRISP steering but in The Rear those Tires Just GRIP so they Need to be as WIDE as Possible for the Maximum amount of Rubber meeting the Road to keep all that weight 4000+ lbs X the G's the weight produces when thrown around corners, on the Ground

+2, with gas prices stuck on a "Roller Coaster" all over the globe, i understand your concern but keep in mind what you purchased and why? IMO, Fuel cost are a serious concern and more and more relavent when considering a vehicle but when Your list includes any of todays "Performance SUV" Fuel is Not in the top 5 on buyers list of concerns.
In no particular order of preference.
Value,
Reliabilty,
Safety,
Features/ammenaties and
Performance Round out the Top 5 questions.

So Yes, IMO it does greatly improve handling/Performance when your tires in the Rear are wider (315) than your front (285) on A 300+HP TT V6 or a 400+Hp TT V8. the details and explanation why are debatable and arguable but i leave you with just my personal experience and H.O...
2008 BMW X6 xDrive 50i
on 22's
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
egg666
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP/YMBlue/Black/MP Kit///

Thanks guys! Of course if I'm that much concern about gas, I would have go for RX400h (despite it is so sissy and so many on the street here...)

It is clear that the staggered setup will only do good...

Can't wait to pick up my baby tomorrow
Appreciate 0