XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
JDX5NY
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

X5m Mileage Question

Hey,

While looking for an x5m, I recently spotted a black 2010. I like everything about the truck except the mileage (56k).

Is this mileage to high for an m? Keep in mind it is a Florida truck and has one year of cpo remaining.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have a 2011 with 52K miles, so no, 56K is not high for a 2010.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a 2011 with 52K miles, so no, 56K is not high for a 2010.
Thanks, Anything specific to check for, big problems? Would most likely purchase an extended warranty once cpo runs out just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdileo View Post
Thanks, Anything specific to check for, big problems? Would most likely purchase an extended warranty once cpo runs out just to be on the safe side.
You can always take it to a BMW dealership and fork over $250 to get them look it over completely. Or an independent BMW mechanic can do the same. As far as the extended warranty you mentioned is concerned, you won't be able to do that through BMW as you're already past your factory warranty. You can always get an aftermarket warranty, but I personally wouldn't buy one of those.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You can always take it to a BMW dealership and fork over $250 to get them look it over completely. Or an independent BMW mechanic can do the same. As far as the extended warranty you mentioned is concerned, you won't be able to do that through BMW as you're already past your factory warranty. You can always get an aftermarket warranty, but I personally wouldn't buy one of those.
That sounds like a good idea just to be safe.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Be very careful when purchasing warranty coverage; BMW or 3rd party. While it may be prudent to do so for an X5M due to additional complexities (vs. a 3.5i, which is less prone to issues), be sure to get an exclusionary warranty (specifies what is NOT covered) vs. inclusionary (only tells you what is covered, but with veiled references, rendering much to NOT be covered). Similar to CPO coverage, you need to know in advance what to expect when you go in for service. CPO doesn't cover everything, either. Also, a pre-inspection will help for physical components, such as tie rods, bushings and vacuum lines, but much of what goes wrong is electronic (sensors, etc.), the condition of which can't be inspected in advance, unless they're already faulty and throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Once the car is CPO'd, it qualifies for a BMW "WRAP", but don't let the CPO lapse. Check it out on BMWUSA.

Also, when the car was CPO'd, it would've gone through a CPO checklist. Find out which dealer did it and request a copy. It may have been done a long time ago, but it's still a base line.

Finally, what is the fascination with owning a "M"? Especially one with miles? If it is speed and handling, you can accomplish nearly the same with a "tune" and finding a 50i with Adaptive Drive ... for a lot less money. Expect everything on the "M" to cost you double ...
      01-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Once the car is CPO'd, it qualifies for a BMW "WRAP", but don't let the CPO lapse. Check it out on BMWUSA.

Also, when the car was CPO'd, it would've gone through a CPO checklist. Find out which dealer did it and request a copy. It may have been done a long time ago, but it's still a base line.

Finally, what is the fascination with owning a "M"? Especially one with miles? If it is speed and handling, you can accomplish nearly the same with a "tune" and finding a 50i with Adaptive Drive ... for a lot less money. Expect everything on the "M" to cost you double ...
I do like the M because of the aggressive styling. The 50i is definitely nice too, especially with the m sport package. They just seem a bit hard to come by with the m sport package which is a must for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
GGX5M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5M

i bought mine with 61 k on the odo. thus far, changed the coolant res, injectors are gonna be changed this week, parking brake system got replaced, control arms, front axle and one of my rear air shocks is gonna be changed soon as well....Great car, nothing drives like it. ozone killer, which didnt take me by surprise, i bought it with a bumper to bumper 3 rd party warranty as it was out of factory when i got it. theyve covered most of the costs this far, but i havent bothered them for everything. love the car, no regrets. but i recommend u have deep pockets if u plan on investing in one.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
PAX5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I do like the M because of the aggressive styling. The 50i is definitely nice too, especially with the m sport package. They just seem a bit hard to come by with the m sport package which is a must for me.
I just helped a friend buy this '12 X5 35i m-sport with multi-contour seats: paid $28K with 70K mi ... no warranty but previous owner had put extended Maintenance Plan on it through 2018!

If it's the styling you're after, you can even retro-fit the M or m-sport cladding .. it'll take some doing, but it can be done - http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...it-wheels.html

... but nothing beats the real thing, I know.
Attached Images

01-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
I just helped a friend buy this '12 X5 35i m-sport with multi-contour seats: paid $28K with 70K mi ... no warranty but previous owner had put extended Maintenance Plan on it through 2018!

If it's the styling you're after, you can even retro-fit the M or m-sport cladding .. it'll take some doing, but it can be done - http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...it-wheels.html

That is one good looking truck

Interior looks great especially considering it has 70k!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
JDX5NY
Rep

I did also test drive a f10 550i xdrive. It was a nice car, but felt a little "floaty" with light steering. Was also pretty quiet despite the tt v8 Definitely more of a cruiser.

I've heard a few people mention that the x5's actually feel more aggressive than the new 5 series (Louder exhaust tighter steering, wide tires?)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
PAX5
Captain
Rep

duplicate

Last edited by PAX5; 01-23-2015 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:

Nice X5 5.0. 70k miles isn't that much IF it has been kept up. That is the one thing I lament now a days as BMW marketing has almost gotten too good for the good of us who buy used BMWs. Now most buyers don't do ANY maintenance on their cars outside of what BMW does under their maintenance plan which we all know is minimal at best. They'll tell you its cause everything now last longer and has longer intervals but I don't care how good you make your oil...changing it at 20k will have some effect on long term engine life and reliability. That is why I follow the BMW Old Schoo/Lifetime Maintenance Program I got from Mike Miller on Roundel since I started buying and owning BMW's regularly. Yes I know things do break down and fail but I don't have to help that process by just driving the car and only bringing it to BMW when I see a light that tells me ops it time to spend some of BMW's money on maintenance.

Sorry got off subject here. As for X5M vs X5 5.0 yes the 5.0 is a great engine and car and with the M Sport package can look the part but you will spend a bit to get it up to X5M performance standards...I know have done two late model v8 BMW's with Dinan to up the performance ante. Both are great drivers but do lack some of the areas that the M cars just outshine their lesser classmates. I found a CPO'd 2010 X5M with about 40k on the odometer and was able to pick it up for about $1/k luckily from a dealer out of state. So far its one of the best SUV's I've driven with prior one including 2 e53 X5s, a 2nd gen Cayenne and an e71 X6. The X6 would have been my favorite but it was a 3.5L v6 w/out enough power for sure and I spent a ton (including the M package) to upgrade it...which here lies the point I think. If you want the M then get it...just prepare accordingly and maintain it. They're good cars and pretty good on quality when maintained. If not then the X5 5.0 (like the one pictured here) or even the X5d are no sleepers! In fact if they EVER brought the engine in the M550d here in the 5 series and/or the X5 I think BMW would be surprised at how many takers they'd have!

Anyway here's mine.
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Nice X5 5.0. 70k miles isn't that much IF it has been kept up. That is the one thing I lament now a days as BMW marketing has almost gotten too good for the good of us who buy used BMWs. Now most buyers don't do ANY maintenance on their cars outside of what BMW does under their maintenance plan which we all know is minimal at best. They'll tell you its cause everything now last longer and has longer intervals but I don't care how good you make your oil...changing it at 20k will have some effect on long term engine life and reliability. That is why I follow the BMW Old Schoo/Lifetime Maintenance Program I got from Mike Miller on Roundel since I started buying and owning BMW's regularly. Yes I know things do break down and fail but I don't have to help that process by just driving the car and only bringing it to BMW when I see a light that tells me ops it time to spend some of BMW's money on maintenance.

Anyway here's mine.
Man black looks great on that truck. Nice 1m too, those things are unicorns.

The 2010, won't be able to check it out because its out of state. Being that it's cpo'd should I assume it's in decent condition? (Florida car) as opposed to one from a colder climate, ny,pa etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #16
protein
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 e92 M3 ZCP

I notice you're in NY. Here's a lower mileage 50i with M sport in NJ. I checked it out myself, it's very clean.

http://bmwofbridgewater.com/cars/cer...ZV8C58CL425935
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
JDX5NY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by protein View Post
I notice you're in NY. Here's a lower mileage 50i with M sport in NJ. I checked it out myself, it's very clean.

http://bmwofbridgewater.com/cars/cer...ZV8C58CL425935
That's real nice, a little more on the expensive side for me though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
mleun481
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Keep in mind having an X5M can get expensive too - out of warranty repairs, gas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
JDX5NY
Rep

I just came across a local 11' m, 40k miles cpo. Asking 48. Is this a good deal?

The 2012 cpo m sport 50is seem to be around the same price give or take a few thousand.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Just as an FYI...I did a Ton (with a capital T) of research on the X5 5.0 M Sport and the X5M, regarding performance (tuned and not tuned)and overall reliability. I also have a personal friend who is an independent BMW master mech.

Long story short: The 5.0 engines are very problematic. The first 5.0 I looked at turned out to be a dealer buy back due to excessive issues. Don't lose your minds...I'm not saying they're all like this, but there are def issues with the 5.0 engines. I bought a '12 X5M with 19,000 miles left on the factory warranty, and will purchase an extension prior to hitting 50K. My a$$ is covered with warranty, and will be beyond the 50k. It handles like a complete bear, looks amazing, and is great in the snow with proper snow shoes. If it's aggressive styling and performance you need, get the M. Period.
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
I'm thinking about selling my X5 50i M Sport Black Sapphire if you wana check it out, I'm also in NY
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #22
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
Keep in mind having an X5M can get expensive too - out of warranty repairs, gas, etc.
Got my car delivered Nov. 2011. Not a single dollar paid out of pocket for repairs over entire course of ownership. Mechanically nothing has gone wrong sans the vacuum line which is known to deteriorate ($30 dollar plastic hose covered under warranty). These trucks are fairly reliable. Highly recommend some type of warranty in case you want piece of mind (just be aware that tuning the car could jeopardize coverage unless you have a good relationship with your SA).

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0