XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
NOVADPG
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 x50i

Door trim question

Is any part of the door actually leather? Or is it all a combination of vinyl and plastic? I was doing a little detailing this weekend, and realized I had never asked that question, or read about it here.

Speaking of door panels...I found the origin of the rattle in my car - it was the passenger side rear door panel. It seems to have become loose from the door frame and it rattled almost consistently. The dealership even told me "yep, we heard the noise immediately as we left the garage!" Turns out, however, that it's not something they can tighten-up. They had to order a completely new door panel, which should arrive in about 30 days.

While I'm asking dumb questions.....does anyone have any good tips/tricks for cleaning the inside of the 336 wheels while they are still on the vehicle? This brake dust is driving me crazy, especially on the front wheels. Right now for the front, I'm just turning the wheels full left or full right, and getting down on my hands and knees. The 35s on the back are a real pain. Should I just buy a hydraulic jack for the garage and take the wheels off occassionally?

One last request - what do you use to do a touch-up cleaning in the engine compartment? Any type of degreaser on a cloth? Gojo?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Toneaero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I have the same question regarding the door panels. I'm not sure if thats real leather on the side panels or some kind of synthetic. It doesn't soak in my leather conditioner/cleaner as well as my seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Post a picture. What kind of leather do you have?

I am not sure about partial leather, but I can tell you in my X6M with Mugello Red Full Merino Leather, the entire door, from the top to underneath the door panel, is covered in leather, as is the underside of the dashboards, the center console, etc.

If you don't have Full Merino or Individual leather, then there is definitely no leather on the doors if you have Dakota (X6 35i) and possibly, but not sure, with Nappa leather there could be door inserts.

The one I know for sure is Full Merino since it's the one I have. I can make a cow from all the leather in this thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
NOVADPG
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 x50i

Thanks. I have the Nappa leather, so I tend to believe there is no leather or leather-inserts on the door panels.

BTW, I broke out my power washer that I usually use on my house siding, and used it on my wheels this morning. It worked great! They almost look like new with no scrubbing required.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
FrstBmr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

I think I have the same rattle as you on the rear passenger door. Anyway, my ride is black so I am considering going with grey or black wheels to combat the brake dust.
Thanks for the tip on the pressure washer. Just be careful not to spray too hard as to effect the clear coat.
      08-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

I have the rear passenger door rattle too. It is intermitent. The last time I had it fixed, I was told it was a cable that had come loose from its clip. Whatever the cause is, it's back, so now I have to get it checked again.
Appreciate 0