XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #1
pontiacws699
Registered
Rep
Drives: 21 ram 2500 diesel laramie

opinions please regarding purchase x5m

Ok, Im new to the bmw world so to speak but am interested in getting one as a third vehicle. backstory - I do some regional travel in the north east for the company I work for and would probably put on 1000 miles a month give or take otherwise i work from home. I have a 2021 ram laramie diesel thats a nice truck but dont want to use that so much. I know some may thing this is crazy also but this will actually be my sons car in about a yr. He will be legally able to drive early next year. Hes 2 miles from school so not long drive. Yes hes responsible and drives my wifes car and my truck around (in certain areas ) with us to get experience behind the wheel. He's responsible ( has job and paying for most of it by cash hes saved) and very respectful of cars. But I understand he is also a kid and I know how I was also. Anyway, I found a 2010 x5m with 129 on the clock. I haven't driven this one yet but have other M's. He says it has service records but nothing major. He's asking 12k but he says it has a misfire code and needs plugs/coil packs. Says its drives great even now. Now I have no problem getting dirty and can turn a wrench ( industrial maintenance manager for yrs ) but with the problems these beast can have when they weren't taken care of really to begin with I wonder. Iv read the horror stories on here and other places but I also understand that if you build 50000 cars you only hear about the 2000 that failed or whatever the figures are.

I did find one with 150 on the clock with the valve seals already done and other maintenance but wants 13k for it and is out of our/sons budget. But with these things does the misfire code really lead to other hidden problems or is it no dummy its just plugs and packs and stop over thinking it? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
Tundraguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06,2008 tundra

Honestly it's really hard to say. I would say most people would try and replace the coil pack and plug/plugs to clear up a misfire before selling. Which makes me think it could be a bigger issue. Also I've heard the fuel injectors can be finicky. Have you run a Carfax?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
Tundraguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

My wife and I just bought a 2010 x5m with 125k for 12k as well. It has some oil sweating in areas and a small coolant leak up front that I'm trying to find and also has k-can codes so the traction light is on . But I still think it's a good deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
pontiacws699
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraguy View Post
Honestly it's really hard to say. I would say most people would try and replace the coil pack and plug/plugs to clear up a misfire before selling. Which makes me think it could be a bigger issue. Also I've heard the fuel injectors can be finicky. Have you run a Carfax?
No not yet but he did just give the the vin. Its been a while since i ran carfax but ,wow, didnt realize its so pricey now! lol guess im outa touch
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:14 AM   #5
Tundraguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

I can run a Carfax cheap for you. Send me the VIN and a good email to send the Carfax too. You can PayPal me afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
Tundraguy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Let me know man, I think it's $7 or $8
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 12:20 PM   #7
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraguy View Post
I can run a Carfax cheap for you. Send me the VIN and a good email to send the Carfax too. You can PayPal me afterwards.
I can get it for you a carfax for free with my dealer.. Just PM me.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 10:42 AM   #8
pontiacws699
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
I can get it for you a carfax for free with my dealer.. Just PM me.
Thanks!! It worked. Didnt see anything about injectors or any other major service being done. looks like basic stuff like spark plugs and "vehicle serviced" notes but nothing major. Also looks like it was a military member that took it to Belgium and then brought it back to florida.
Appreciate 0