XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-08-2023, 02:40 PM   #1
freyasdado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e70

please help e70

2011 e70 50i. My x5 shut down while driving. Prior to that I was having battery issues and i believe that was the main cause. My electrical system started glitching while driving (lights, radio, and others). At 60 it shifted from 8th to 3rd and redlined. I attempted to manually upshift but... it happened while driving so this is my thoughts. X5 shifted to neutral and rolled to stop then (i think) went into park. The tow guy had to drag it onto the flat bed as it would only briefly turn over. once home i charged the battery(after disconnecting i learned it was 4.5 yrs old) with the same results. So i purchased a new correct battery. Then proceded to register it with a carly. Same result, it would only try to turn over. Then i checked the codes and they were mostly trans shifter codes and a steering code, which led me to believe that the battery registration failed and caused a crash as all of the codes were new. My presumption is that the previous battery had failed and unregistered itself. Please understand that this is a guess. I have been advised to purchase a dkan cable to run ista but currently i only have a chromebook and cant find a cable that actually works(some claim but after 2 tries with failures i just returned them).

What is the most affordable full battery registration tool? Currently im trying to change professions and just completed an 8 week retraing program that has depleted my savings. Since this is my fams only vehicle and we live 15 miles out of town im in a way that ive never experienced with my only option to sell tools that i need. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

have you had your footwell module replaced?
sounds like a bunch of things went wrong, i would get ISTA and see what it says and also reset the entire car.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
Battery registration is only needed if you change the capacity, I.e., the watt-hr. This is because the IBS will adapt the charging to the size of the battery.

Have you checked that the alternator is good? If it went bad, the car would run on battery until depleted and then die. During that time the battery may not have been able to fully supply enough voltage to all the necessary modules which could cause all kinds of electrical issues.
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
freyasdado
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e70

solved

thank you guys for your assistance. every thing(various and assorted codes) including the dealership mech (suggestion) directed me to the e box with the thought that it might have gotten wet. the thought was what would make it shut down while driving. temperature or coolant. i went through all of the engine fuses and sure enough f38 and f41 were blown. im assuming that i have more issues but itll now try to turn over which it wouldnt before. again thank you all for even looking and extra special thanks to those who replied with ideas. you are appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0