XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

05-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Dinan ugrades

It's been 17 long weeks that my X6 50i has been at Dinan, waiting for them to complete the computer mapping so they can break the code to increase the horsepower. So far no luck, and they think it could take 2-4 more months. The exhaust, brakes, and suspension should be finished in the next 3 weeks, so I'll pick up my X6 then and let them finish testing on the 750 they have up there. I was hoping to get my car back with all the perfomrance upgrades, but the wait has been tough. Dinan has had my car in their possession longer than I've had it; I purchased it in October before offering it up for this project in early January. I honestly don't think I'll be able to pick up the software download from my Dinan dealer here in SoCal until end of summer early fall. Anyway, thought I'd give those anticipating the opportunity to purchase Dinan upgrades in the next month, the truth. I can post pictures of the exhaust with black cermaic tips, the Brembo brake upgrade, and the suspension modification in the coming month.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
MHaynes772
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
It's been 17 long weeks that my X6 50i has been at Dinan, waiting for them to complete the computer mapping so they can break the code to increase the horsepower. So far no luck, and they think it could take 2-4 more months. The exhaust, brakes, and suspension should be finished in the next 3 weeks, so I'll pick up my X6 then and let them finish testing on the 750 they have up there. I was hoping to get my car back with all the perfomrance upgrades, but the wait has been tough. Dinan has had my car in their possession longer than I've had it; I purchased it in October before offering it up for this project in early January. I honestly don't think I'll be able to pick up the software download from my Dinan dealer here in SoCal until end of summer early fall. Anyway, thought I'd give those anticipating the opportunity to purchase Dinan upgrades in the next month, the truth. I can post pictures of the exhaust with black cermaic tips, the Brembo brake upgrade, and the suspension modification in the coming month.

God bless, I have been waiting ever so patiently for this damn upgrade haha. Have they given you any type of round about of power increase they expect? Also, what all is involved in the suspension upgrade and what did it do? Just electronic? Just lower?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow! CAn't believe it is taking them so long. Kinda of glad I did not give my X6 after all. Hope they are giving you all of the other upgrades for free given how long it has taken them. Good luck and I hope they figure this out soon. The wait is killing me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

X6 M or Dinan?

When is x6M available in US?
Do u think X6 M will come b 4 Dinan works out their upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

Yes, I'm getting all the upgrades as part of our arrangement. Just another FYI, I was told Dinan probably won't offer anything other than the horsepower upgrade since they feel that their will be low interest in anything else due to the economy and the limited production of this model. That means you most likely won't be able to get the Dinan badge on the back of your car, since it's given on a point system corresponding to how much you spend. I was told they are tryig to give me an extra 150 HP, which would be nice and very close to the X6M stock. Dinan is planning on buying the X6M for testing and to do the same thing they've been doing with mine. They think they'll be able to get one by August, which will probably be around the time they'll offer the horsepower upgrade for the X6 50i, unless some miracle in computer mapping occurs. Since the suspension relies on airbags and there are clearance issues, they are limited in what they can do. They will drop the car about an inch, and put new springs in to close the large gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Wonder what Dinan will end up charging for the "upgrade".
Since this engine will be used in a lot of future BMW's don't understand their comment " the limited production of this model".

Last edited by dmlgc; 05-11-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
When is x6M available in US?
Do u think X6 M will come b 4 Dinan works out their upgrade?
Most likely yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Wonder what Dinan will end up charging for the "upgrade".
Since this engine will be used in a lot of future BMW's don't understand their comment " the limited production of this model".

Even though it is the same engine, every model has a different map and the X6 50i is a lower production model due to price. I think we are the exceptions. I am ready for a big turbo updgrade!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Even though it is the same engine, every model has a different map and the X6 50i is a lower production model due to price. I think we are the exceptions. I am ready for a big turbo updgrade!!
Shenard, if Dinan has issues getting the maping decoded and figured out and based on the comment they made about the limited production quantities they figure this model will have, do you still think that they will be releasing a larger tubo upgrade kit???
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Shenard, if Dinan has issues getting the maping decoded and figured out and based on the comment they made about the limited production quantities they figure this model will have, do you still think that they will be releasing a larger tubo upgrade kit???
Well as I said this engine is already in the new 7 series and I am sure in will make its way down the line and wouldn't be surprised if is for basis of next gen m5/m6. So I think Dinan has the potential for lots of opportunity.

I am beginning to think their "low production model comment" may mean BMW has outwitted them and they aren't going to be able to play with it as much,maybe not at all. They have had an X6 from foofitr for 17 weeks and still have not figured it out, as most will remember you were only going to have to give up your X6 "for two weeks".

I still think BMW is missing the boat in not offering performance packages that you could buy through the dealer (they could even contract with Dinan to do them). The auto industry is never going to be as it was and this would be a way for BMW to make some money with a good ROI that they have already made.

I might go drop $3-5k for performance upgrade but I'm not going to take the depreciation hit to turn around an buy an M version.

Last edited by dmlgc; 05-12-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

In my weekly update phone conversations with the head of the X6 project and top Dinan engineer, the limited production was in reference to only offering the software upgrade. I think they are debatig the suspension, brake, and exhaust upgrade opportunites for this model. Although the 750 has the same engine, the software on each new model is more and more complicated, to the point Dinan believes in the coming years they won't be able to work with any new BMW models. BWM is essentialy locking them with their software coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I sure hope so, but may be doubtful.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
In my weekly update phone conversations with the head of the X6 project and top Dinan engineer, the limited production was in reference to only offering the software upgrade. I think they are debatig the suspension, brake, and exhaust upgrade opportunites for this model. Although the 750 has the same engine, the software on each new model is more and more complicated, to the point Dinan believes in the coming years they won't be able to work with any new BMW models. BWM is essentialy locking them with their software coding.
How is your 50i coming? Are they making any new progress?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I sure hope so, but may be doubtful.
I wonder how they are doing with the new 750 someone lent them, maybe it's not so much this model but that BMW has coded the new cars to make this a lot harder to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I wonder how they are doing with the new 750 someone lent them, maybe it's not so much this model but that BMW has coded the new cars to make this a lot harder to do.
Well considering how much more complicated these engines are compared to previous generation engines and the fact that BMW obviously doesn't like or want anybody else fiddling with the engine electronics, I am not surprised that it takes them this long to get this sorted out. I'm sure BMW will do everything in their power to discourage after market modding companies to 're-map' the engine controllers.

As foofitr stated, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of companies that are offering engine power upgrades via re-maping will eventually be unable to do this for any future engines. There may be a few that will succeed in getting past whatever roadblocks BMW is trying to put up, but in the long run, I can see that BMW will put a stop to it.

Even those that use boosters that are connected in-line with some of the engine electronics will eventually be detected by the engine electronics. Every engine controller generation is getting smarter and more complicated...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well considering how much more complicated these engines are compared to previous generation engines and the fact that BMW obviously doesn't like or want anybody else fiddling with the engine electronics, I am not surprised that it takes them this long to get this sorted out. I'm sure BMW will do everything in their power to discourage after market modding companies to 're-map' the engine controllers.

As foofitr stated, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of companies that are offering engine power upgrades via re-maping will eventually be unable to do this for any future engines. There may be a few that will succeed in getting past whatever roadblocks BMW is trying to put up, but in the long run, I can see that BMW will put a stop to it.

Even those that use boosters that are connected in-line with some of the engine electronics will eventually be detected by the engine electronics. Every engine controller generation is getting smarter and more complicated...
BMW should just offer aftermarket upgrades themselves so they can control it...and make money. They are missing a huge revenue base, not everyone is going to go out and buy a new bimmer every three years ( sorry BMW new reality).
Appreciate 0