XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-11-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Atlanta Ultimate Drive-Mar 15th

I'm signed up for an Ultimate Drive this Sat in Hotlanta.I am told there will be TWO X6's at the event.I will have my camera and try and log as many miles as I can w/o being obnoxious!!!!They might have to pry the steering wheel out of my cold dead hands.....Just kidding.....Let me know anything you might want me to review,check,take a pic...etc.Can't wait for Sat to get here!!!! Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I am curious on how stiff the ride is compared to an X5 and 5 or 6 series. To me the X5 is very stiff for an SUV and wondering if the X6 is the same way or more smooth like the 5 or 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ultimate Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I am curious on how stiff the ride is compared to an X5 and 5 or 6 series. To me the X5 is very stiff for an SUV and wondering if the X6 is the same way or more smooth like the 5 or 6 series.
I'll try and make some comparisons and post my thoughts.Thanks.PalBay
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

Hey Palbay,

How did the drive go yesterday? Did you get much time in behind the wheel of an X6?? Do you have any first impressions to share with the group?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Angry Ultimate Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Hey Palbay,

How did the drive go yesterday? Did you get much time in behind the wheel of an X6?? Do you have any first impressions to share with the group?

Cheers,
Morty, Big disappointment,not w/ the X6, but the way the Ultimate Drive was setup!At the last minute something told me to call one of my dealer friends in Atlanta,before I made a 2 hr drive to Atlanta.This dealership has two stores,and had one Ultimate Drive on Friday,their other store was to have the Drive on Sat.My dealer friend told me the X6 was the "Signature Car",the one everyone signs.But,there were no X6's to drive!.Even the Mgt of this dealership was told that there would be two X6's to drive and even a new 1 Series.The dealership was very disappointed that the X6's and 1 Series did not show. The X6 and 1 Series were to be out on Sat as well.The reason the Dealership was given about the two "no shows" was that they were taken out of the Ultimate Drive rotation just for those two events!!!??? They were out for maintanance,repairs, etc....! (I smell a rat!). I immediately called the 1-800 Ultimate Drive number to talk w/ the people that setup the Drives.I was basically told that yes,the X6 is in the Ulltimate Drive lineup as a car that can be driven,however,I would need to call each individual dealership the night prior to your scheduled drive to be sure the X6 showed up at the event!That's the best answer I got??? I'm still real confused. I hate to say this,but until the X6 is launched,I think BMW is using the carrot that the X6 will be at the Drives,to build traffic for the Ultimate Drives,but then is VERY selective about where it shows up.Just my opinion.I'm scheduled for two more dates in this area for Ultimate Drives in the next couple of weeks.I'll call the night before to see what hit the dealership for the Drive the next day.You could sit in the X6,but for me,I've seen so many up close already,I was really only interested in driving the car.I talked w/ a car journalist,who told me he has never seen BMW keep a closer grip on a new car launch,as they have w/ the X6.He said in prior model launches you could maybe get a sneek peak and drive around the PC.He said he spent an entire day at BMWNA Headquarters in NJ trying to get a test drive/review setup.He said there is a very long waiting list for test drives/reviews.If you notice even most of the European Mags/Websites have not done full reviews yet.They sometimes get a jump on the North American press.Sorry for the long post.Just a little pissed!!! Thanks. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
gokartmozart
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe, & 2003 Z4 3.0

Thanks PalBay for the writeup and the heads up, since we signed up for the UD on April 17 in Temple, TX. This is at one of the two branches of the dealership where I got my Z4 M Coupe, the one I did get it from (Bryan/College Station) is hosting the UD the day before.

I will call my CA to see if the X6 is in the fleet to drive or just the signature vehicle (no driving, just viewing). If available to drive, I will have him call the other dealership for me to make darn sure we get a 'reserve' to drive it. My 1200 mile service is being performed that morning, and I want to drive it while waiting. (I'm officially signed up to drive the M3 and B7 Alpina, but the wife signed up with "unspecified vehicle" hoping the X6 will be there). Will report back...

PS> got my 10 yr BMWCCA pin AND my first Valentine1 radar detector yesterday. Live is good.

2005 530i (wife's DD)
2003 Z4 3.0 6sp (college son's hand-me-down)
Appreciate 0