XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

New X6M owner with a few questions for the pros

Hello,

I am a new 2014 X6M and so far love the vehicle. I still have a year of warranty and hope to have all of the little issues owners have posted about fixed prior to that warranty running out. As far as I can tell I have an E71, hoping someone will confirm that?

I have noticed a few little things that I have been working with the dealership to fix. The first one is kind of a big one for me, the gas tank does not register the correct amount of fuel. My dealership has already replaced the tank, sending unit and fuel pump but tells me one of the floats was defective on the new tank. Doing some reading I have confirmed this model has two floats that need to match in order for the fuel gauge to register correctly. The one in the tank is replaced only with a new tank but the other is replaceable. My new part will be installed on Monday and hopefully this will fix my gauge which is always between an 1/8 to 1/4 off. This will be the third time it has gone in to fix this little issue.

So with that being said as a new BMW owner...is it really that common for BMW to issue defective parts? I am a former Acura owner and not used to having any strange issues like not knowing how much gas is in the car? The only German vehicle I have owned before was a Porsche and I just loved that car...but got married and had a kid.

The X6M is plenty fast but does not have the sound I would expect out of a turbo V8. I have seen there was an injector recall and plan on having the dealership pursue this. My X6M sounds like a WRX, almost like it has a fouled plug or missing. Is this the common sound...like a fluttering when hard acceleration? In reading I see some open up the exhaust valve but not sure this is a design flaw as I suspect it opens when BMW wants it to open. I have modded every vehicle prior to this one and kind of tired of the constant headaches that go along with that.

As a new owner all I want is the top performance that this machine makes. Everything I read says it is a great vehicle for everyday driving and if I want to crush a stang or two it is there when I need it. At 45 I still like performance but want to do it in style. If there are any of you pros out there with advice I would love your input. Heck I am not even sure if I can put fuel injector cleaner in the tank as direct injection is new to me. One thing is for sure it does not have linear acceleration.

Cheers
      03-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
Performancedieselpros
Banned
Rep
Drives: X6 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschill31@gmail.com View Post
Hello,

I am a new 2014 X6M and so far love the vehicle. I still have a year of warranty and hope to have all of the little issues owners have posted about fixed prior to that warranty running out. As far as I can tell I have an E71, hoping someone will confirm that?

I have noticed a few little things that I have been working with the dealership to fix. The first one is kind of a big one for me, the gas tank does not register the correct amount of fuel. My dealership has already replaced the tank, sending unit and fuel pump but tells me one of the floats was defective on the new tank. Doing some reading I have confirmed this model has two floats that need to match in order for the fuel gauge to register correctly. The one in the tank is replaced only with a new tank but the other is replaceable. My new part will be installed on Monday and hopefully this will fix my gauge which is always between an 1/8 to 1/4 off. This will be the third time it has gone in to fix this little issue.

So with that being said as a new BMW owner...is it really that common for BMW to issue defective parts? I am a former Acura owner and not used to having any strange issues like not knowing how much gas is in the car? The only German vehicle I have owned before was a Porsche and I just loved that car...but got married and had a kid.

The X6M is plenty fast but does not have the sound I would expect out of a turbo V8. I have seen there was an injector recall and plan on having the dealership pursue this. My X6M sounds like a WRX, almost like it has a fouled plug or missing. Is this the common sound...like a fluttering when hard acceleration? In reading I see some open up the exhaust valve but not sure this is a design flaw as I suspect it opens when BMW wants it to open. I have modded every vehicle prior to this one and kind of tired of the constant headaches that go along with that.

As a new owner all I want is the top performance that this machine makes. Everything I read says it is a great vehicle for everyday driving and if I want to crush a stang or two it is there when I need it. At 45 I still like performance but want to do it in style. If there are any of you pros out there with advice I would love your input. Heck I am not even sure if I can put fuel injector cleaner in the tank as direct injection is new to me. One thing is for sure it does not have linear acceleration.

Cheers
Chevron complete fuel cleaner is a must!

I personally run every other full tank.

Since direct injection can increase deposits on the injector tips more frequent cleaning will keep injectors happy longer and make power consistently.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

To answer your question: should not sound fluttering during accelerations, might want to check your injectors, plugs, and coils.

The logic is this: leaky injectors foul plugs and make the coils overwork and then fail prematurely.

On the sound, it is because of how the exhaust manifold is designed to enable more even exhaust flow for the turbos, which essentially takes away the typical v8 'rumble', and sounds more like a flat plane v8.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Great stuff guys, I sincerely thank you both. On acceleration, fluttering may be the wrong word. I struggle to accurately describe but if you have ever herd a WRX from launch that would be the best description. Roo's have a distinctive sound, like a deep put-put sound. Have either of you figured out the overly complicated sequence of buttons to engage launch control? I have seen videos but I must not have the sequence just right. I want to get a good base line 0-60. I feel like I am in the low 4's but would like to know for sure.

Cheers
      03-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Having gone directly from an STI to an X6M, I can say that it sounds nothing like a WRX. I think you're talking about the "burp" when downshifting under hard throttle.. I think it's just a characteristic for these types of engines. WRT launch control, I believe it only was introduced on the F16.

On the fuel being off - by how much? I noticed mine seemed a little off. Seemed a little under a gallon less than actual. Didn't bother with it since I generally never let the car go that low.

On the warranty, as I have a 2014 I'm in the same boat. I bought a CPO Elite and discovered that my service plan expired this month. (Service Plan=Ultimate Care - covers things like brakes, oil changes, all the misc filters, windshield wipers, etc.) I also learned that the drivetrain warranty (aka PowerTrain Plus), which is separate from Ultimate Care, still goes on for another year. Now I'm at a crossroads - do I keep both? I like both, but personally would rather upgrade brakes over OEM. Most of the cost of Ultimate Care seems to be for that brake replacement. Seem to recall free loaners being part of Ultimate Care as well.

Car is at the dealer this weekend, I'll have to make a decision by Monday.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
On the fuel being off - by how much? I noticed mine seemed a little off. Seemed a little under a gallon less than actual.
Mine is off between 1/8th and 1/4th low. Fill it and within an hour it drops without driving. It is actually a known issue as far as I was told at the dealership as the two floats sometimes stop talking with each other. They were more than willing to replace my entire fuel system including tank and fuel pump but one of the parts came in defective. I will be there Monday having the other float replaced.

I think on the sound thing I may just need to take an audio clip and post it. The dealership does not have anymore for me to drive for comparison but it is a different kind of sound. If you had an WRX and you X6M sounds nothing like that then my car must have a fouled plug or injector like I suspect.

cheers
      03-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

BTW, I believe launch control has been on this car since the first model rolled out in 2010. This is what I have found for instructions but have not tried it yet. Basically you turn of all safety and traction control first...then: With the transmission in stage M1, the driver presses down the brake pedal and moves the accelerator to at least 60% throttle, setting Launch Control to standby. Standby status is confirmed by “starter’s flag” symbol in the instrument cluster. As soon as the driver releases the brake pedal, the vehicle will accelerate with full power in “genuine racing style.” In the process, the M Sports Automatic transmission automatically upshifts at the ideal points, with the fastest possible shifts and optimum wheelspin control.
      06-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschill31@gmail.com View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
On the fuel being off - by how much? I noticed mine seemed a little off. Seemed a little under a gallon less than actual.
Mine is off between 1/8th and 1/4th low. Fill it and within an hour it drops without driving. It is actually a known issue as far as I was told at the dealership as the two floats sometimes stop talking with each other. They were more than willing to replace my entire fuel system including tank and fuel pump but one of the parts came in defective. I will be there Monday having the other float replaced.

I think on the sound thing I may just need to take an audio clip and post it. The dealership does not have anymore for me to drive for comparison but it is a different kind of sound. If you had an WRX and you X6M sounds nothing like that then my car must have a fouled plug or injector like I suspect.

cheers
Have the same thing with the fuel reading
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:15 AM   #9
urabus040
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 I35

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
Same fuel gauge issue and mine is a '14, not an M, my temp gauge hasn't moved since i bought the SAV, not overly worried as the fans work when they need to, visually checked and my oil temp stays ta a consistent temp of 200 to 240 never above 260, replacing the cluster doesn't look fun at all not to mention the cost even though i have a aftermarket warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #10
jschill31@gmail.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Have the same thing with the fuel reading
On the fuel thing, it seems to be a consistent issue with these SUV's. I ended up with an entire new system including tank as one of the sensors is not removable. Works way better but still off a tad... I was poking around under the rear and found my exhaust sound issue. Someone had pulled the vac lines on the tips... This does absolutely nothing unless you cap the lines as they need the pressure. I hooked them back up and the rig sounds much better, also less lag from a start while in manual mode. I am learning a lot on this car, so much can be done, a lot has to do with just learning how to drive it correctly.

Cheers