XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-12-2017, 04:42 AM   #1
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Indicators/High Beam Failure - Solution Found

Heya guys,

Thought I would post this, as it has been driving me insane for 3 months, and had BMW stumped at the problem. Hopefully if someone else is lucky enough to get this fault, this post will give them some help to get it fixed quickly.

Vehicle: 2012 E70 X5 M50d

Symptom: The indicator/high beam failing to function. Fault identified using the stalk as normal but having the indicator/high beam fail to function, both with lights externally and the absence of the appropriate symbol on the dash display. No codes present.

Initial BMW Dealer diagnosis: Footwell Module Failure (FRM)

Initial BMW Dealer action: Replace FRM with new item and code appropriately.

Result: No change to fault.

Further Fault Finding: Due to the random nature of the failure occurring, I attempted to narrow down the parameters for when it was occurring and try and find a pattern.

Assessment 1: Height sensor fault/short, issue was assessed to be corrected driving over a sequence of bumps. This was initially identified as a possible through similar symptoms on an X3 forum.

Dispelled: Was unable to replicate results with consistency.

Assessment 2:
Something in the cabin was hot and failing. The fault seemed to be most consistent if the car had been sitting in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. After noticing, it was confirmed that after every spell in the sun the failure symptoms would present.

Confirmed: This was validated by blasting the aircon, and consistently with aircon on Max the fault would fix itself within 15mins of cooling.

BMW Dealer Action: I had been updating the BMW Dealer with what I had been finding and after they had lodged and updated BMW Australia with the case, including the addition of the assessed thermal problem, they requested the car be brought back in for additional testing.

BMW Dealer Diagnosis: Steering Angle Sensor was malfunctioning. Validated by taking the shroud off the steering column and heating up the sensor with a heat gun, replicating the fault perfectly.

BMW Dealer Action: Replace the Steering Angle Sensor.

Result: Fixed. Validated several times today, where previously would have been a failure.
Appreciate 0