XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Thinking About Swapping Out Interior Trim: Thoughts??!!

I have a 2012 X5M and it came with the carbon fiber look interior trim. I really like the brushed aluminum look and think it would really highlight the interior. Has anybody done this already? Is it difficult to swap the interior trim out?

Are people interested in swapping on this forum? Do you think it's too much?

Well, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
cybervinn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 M  [9.62]
Funny... I was thinking of doing the exact opposite. I have the brushed aluminum and wished I had ordered the carbon leather instead. The brushed aluminum is very nice to look at but it is raw and VERY easy to scratch. Its such a pain to constantly be aware of not touching/rubbing it too roughly.

Keep us posted if you do change it out. I'm curious to know how difficult it is as I might consider it if removing the trim is not that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
madmille28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Its not Aluminum but I have Piano Black if your interested in swapping.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybervinn View Post
Funny... I was thinking of doing the exact opposite. I have the brushed aluminum and wished I had ordered the carbon leather instead. The brushed aluminum is very nice to look at but it is raw and VERY easy to scratch. Its such a pain to constantly be aware of not touching/rubbing it too roughly.

Keep us posted if you do change it out. I'm curious to know how difficult it is as I might consider it if removing the trim is not that difficult.
i know there is already the aluminum trim right below the carbon leather but for some reason, i really like the all aluminum look. does it get really hot to the touch in direct sun? i have a 5 year old daughter so just curious.

would you be willing to do a trade? my buddy told me most dealerships can remove it quickly but it'll probably take us longer. i read in other posts that it could be a bit difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmille28 View Post
Its not Aluminum but I have Piano Black if your interested in swapping.
i like the piano black but more interested in the aluminum. i bet it's hard to keep clean since it picks up fingerprints pretty easily.

i'll keep you in mind, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
madmille28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Piano Black is not hard to keep clean as everyone says. Just polish the trim with wax and finger prints are easily wiped away.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
cybervinn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 M  [9.62]
Aluminum conducts/transfers heat very well so it gets hot if the temp in the cabin gets hot but on the flip cools down quickly too.

I would consider an exchange if u can find some instructions that illustrate that it's not a complex endeavor. I don't want to damage my trim in the process of removal or get stuck at a particular piece that I can't remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybervinn View Post
Aluminum conducts/transfers heat very well so it gets hot if the temp in the cabin gets hot but on the flip cools down quickly too.

I would consider an exchange if u can find some instructions that illustrate that it's not a complex endeavor. I don't want to damage my trim in the process of removal or get stuck at a particular piece that I can't remove.
i called my bmw mechanic and he wasn't sure. he has his own shop and he said not too many x5m's requesting the interior trim removal. i'll look into it and see what i can find. i'll also call the dealership to see how much it will be to remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSpeedX5M View Post
I have a 2012 X5M and it came with the carbon fiber look interior trim. I really like the brushed aluminum look and think it would really highlight the interior. Has anybody done this already? Is it difficult to swap the interior trim out?

Are people interested in swapping on this forum? Do you think it's too much?

Well, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!

Is this the carbon leather trim like what is found in the E9X M3?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
MaxSpeedX5M
Need 4 Speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Is this the carbon leather trim like what is found in the E9X M3?
i have't seen the interior of the e9x m3 so i couldn't tell you if they are the same. i'll look around the www and see if i can get you an answer.
Appreciate 0