XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 3.5i

I'm looking at doing a plug-n-play replacement of one of the underseat front woofers with the Earthquake SWS-8 ($125) to provide better low-end punch on my 2013 X6 that has the $1000 Enhanced Premium Sound option. Though there's a lot of info about this in other non-X6 forums I'm hoping someone here has done this to their X6? The SWS-8 comes in both 4 and 2 ohm; does anyone know what the current woofer's impedance is with the Enhanced Premium Sound option? Many thanks for any info...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
I'm looking at doing a plug-n-play replacement of one of the underseat front woofers with the Earthquake SWS-8 ($125) to provide better low-end punch on my 2013 X6 that has the $1000 Enhanced Premium Sound option. Though there's a lot of info about this in other non-X6 forums I'm hoping someone here has done this to their X6? The SWS-8 comes in both 4 and 2 ohm; does anyone know what the current woofer's impedance is with the Enhanced Premium Sound option? Many thanks for any info...
If you have Top HiFi system in your X6, get the 2 ohm version if you have HiFi then get the 4 ohm. I had them installed in my X5 and X6 in both cases. To be honest with you, not much better performance than the original BMW units. What I would recommend is Individual BMW Subs to replace what you have there now.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6M

So igor to confirm

Base stereo - 4ohm
Enhanced (premium sound) - 2 ohm
Individual audio - ???

Also you believe individual audio is better then earthquake sws??

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrazy View Post
So igor to confirm

Base stereo - 4ohm
Enhanced (premium sound) - 2 ohm
Individual audio - ???

Also you believe individual audio is better then earthquake sws??

Thanks!!!
Yes, that is correct. Base or HiFi is 4ohms, top HiFi is 2ohms, Individual Audio is 2ohms. And yes, I experienced top HiFi with Erthquake sws-8's and now have a complete original BMW Individual Audio in my X6M and for the sound quality, it definitely beats the top HiFi with Erthquakes. My suggestion to you is to replace your amplifier from BMW top HiFi to Individual and replace your under-seat subs from what you have now to BMW Individual subs. Let me know if you need any help with any of this. Good luck ...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again so much Igor I certainly can tell you have been down this path, So..

With individual audio you would keep your subs under seats? or replace with earthquakes? SOunds like your happy with individual subs.

Second Have you looked into JL Audio stealth mod - It adds an amp to give more power to the subs and replaces front tweets?

Third is the individual amp replacment pretty plug and play?

Sorry Igor for all the questions, but you seem to be very up to speed on this, and also on the same page as me.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

piggy-backing on this thread - has anyone added the JL Stealthbox sub back in the cargo area? Looks like a nice setup offhand.

Does the factory amp have outputs to expand the audio system (aka, add a sub amp?)

I have a 2011 x50i with the Premium Sound
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Rennis I have already purchased the X5 E70 box on a whim that it will fit the X6 (looks like it will) I just havent bought an X6 yet lol....Bought it as I will install it as soon as I find one.

I did have one in my E53 X5 4.8is and it was actually quite good even though it used a JL W1 sub.....the one were talking about for our X6 is actually a W3 so even better!

I am going to pair it with ~300watt channel and perhaps use 2 more channels for increased power to the under seat subs.....like JL does in there stealth mod (not stealth box).....I like the idea of upping the tweeters like JL does but $$$$
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Rennis I bought mine on ebay, but my friend is selling his Stealth box that he had in his X5 as he sold the suv....If your interested I can bug him for a good price? there 750 plus tax and shipping online I believe,,,,I found mine on EBAY for $550
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Rennis I bought mine on ebay, but my friend is selling his Stealth box that he had in his X5 as he sold the suv....If your interested I can bug him for a good price? there 750 plus tax and shipping online I believe,,,,I found mine on EBAY for $550
I would definitely be interested in seeing what a used unit would sell for. Thanks for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Guys, I have been through different BMW oem as well as aftermarket audio setups. JL Audio, McIntosh, Audison Bit One, Hertz speakers, etc , etc. I am a very picky critic, when it comes to sound in my car. Now I have X6M with Individual BMW original oem setup. No additions, no subtractions. Believe me, there is no better sound that you will get out of your BMW than original oem Individual Sound System. Top Hi-Fi is ok, but no comparison. Pure power with zero distortion. BMW have done a great job, I have to admit ...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #11
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Guys, I have been through different BMW oem as well as aftermarket audio setups. JL Audio, McIntosh, Audison Bit One, Hertz speakers, etc , etc. I am a very picky critic, when it comes to sound in my car. Now I have X6M with Individual BMW original oem setup. No additions, no subtractions. Believe me, there is no better sound that you will get out of your BMW than original oem Individual Sound System. Top Hi-Fi is ok, but no comparison. Pure power with zero distortion. BMW have done a great job, I have to admit ...
Had it (BMW HIGH END INDIVIDUAL) in my X6 and I fully agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Igor is there any chance I could call you at your convenience? I just wanted to run a couple thoughts by you on the audio.

You can email me at jkerr@enmax.com and I can phone you?

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
rennis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Igor is there any chance I could call you at your convenience? I just wanted to run a couple thoughts by you on the audio.

You can email me at jkerr@enmax.com and I can phone you?

Much appreciated
Any update from your buddy selling the stealthbox, and what he'd ask for it?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Renis I just emailed him again to ask,,,I suspect he sold it but I will confirm for you...I believe he was asking 500 Canadian... I payed 499 US on ebay for mine and it just arrived last week,,,going to feed it with a JL Audio XD700/5 so it will get 300 watts,and Ill have 4 extra channels to play with if needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
Kerrazy
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone have the pin outs for factory amp to connect an aftermarket Amp.

Or schematics or any help to add a amp?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep

I looked into upgrading my Enhanced Premium Sound to Individual Sound but the expense for the amp is too great, so I went ahead and ordered the Earthquake SWS 4 ohm woofer from Amazon as I orginally intended. When installing, I discovered the BMW underseat woofer is explicitly labled "8 OHMS". Does anyone know of the risks to my amp if I go ahead and use the 4 ohm earthquake in place of the 8 ohm original?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
I looked into upgrading my Enhanced Premium Sound to Individual Sound but the expense for the amp is too great, so I went ahead and ordered the Earthquake SWS 4 ohm woofer from Amazon as I orginally intended. When installing, I discovered the BMW underseat woofer is explicitly labled "8 OHMS". Does anyone know of the risks to my amp if I go ahead and use the 4 ohm earthquake in place of the 8 ohm original?
If you have an original BMW Top Hi-Fi amplifier, most that you can do is blow out two yellow fuses that are located on the outside of your amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
dreamalaska
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Igor - I installed one SWS woofer under the drivers seat and so far so good. I don't listen to my music extremely loud, so hopefully it won't become a problem. There's definitely more bass response that you can feel at moderate sound levels. I had previously replaced all midrange and tweeters with BSW (Bavarian Soundworks or BAV Sound) replacements. I like them. There's quite a bit more mid-bass and treble response compared to my original "Top HiFi" speakers. BSW is also releasing an 8 ohm drop-in replacement underseat woofer this summer (2015), and I plan on replacing the SWS with those to complement the rest of the BSW drivers. BMW does a horrible job marketing the sound options available - I should have ordered the "Individual Sound" option like Igor has (which is an additional $1000 above and beyond the $1000 Enhanced Premium Sound "Top HiFi" option) which includes a higher rated amp and another upgraded line of speakers over the TopHiFi ones...
Appreciate 0