XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Porsche advice - GT4

Need some additional advice from those familiar with the brand.

This past weekend, I spent some time with a friend with a 997 Carrera S and he talked me into taking a look at the Cayman GT4 as a replacement for my track/fun car. I called a local dealer and asked about the 2017 allocation and he surprised me by saying they have 2 GT4's on the lot, especially since they weren't on the online inventory list.

So this week, I've been going through a few thoughts, primary of which is...with the expected markup, what is my monetary threshold between need and want. Having never owned a Porsche and honestly, never been interested in them, this comes as surprising, but the driver-centric nature of the GT4 intrigues me.

The one Cayman S that shows up online is at $110k.

What options are a must have for this car? How is the dealer experience different from BMW?

Last edited by C5driver; 10-14-2015 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

First off, 101 for an S is nutty. There are GTS' available around 90-95.
Mark up...no deal for me, ever. I don't care if I had loot flowing in a creek behind my house. One exception. If I was storing the GT4.

Options on the 2 he has would help. 18 way seats?gong
All the interior trim and logo stuff adds up fast.
Lightning is nuts too. I'd not worry about pdls myself. PCCB' 5K I think. gong
They come base with everything I'd want. A/C delete and or radio would not work for myself.

If you believe in mark up being ok, buy one. You'd probably get most of your money back after a year or close to it if you want out. Unless you bend completely over regarding the dealer adjustment amount.
      10-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Options on the 2 he has would help.
Will know this weekend. No rush...they're not going anywhere.

Quote:
Lightning is nuts too. I'd not worry about pdls myself. PCCB' 5K I think. gong
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not clear on what you're saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post

This past weekend, I spent some time with a friend with a 997 Carrera S and he talked me into taking a look at the Cayman GT4 as a replacement for my track/fun car. I called a local dealer and asked about the 2017 allocation and he surprised me by saying they have 2 GT4's on the lot, especially since they weren't on the online inventory list.

So this week, I've been going through a few thoughts, primary of which is...with the expected markup, what is my monetary threshold between need and want. Having never owned a Porsche and honestly, never been interested in them, this comes as surprising, but the driver-centric nature of the GT4 intrigues me.

What options are a must have for this car? How is the dealer experience different from BMW?
the following is a fine mixture of opinion and my experience.

first... DO IT!

i could be wrong but i think we have more in SoCal. i've seen two different dealerships have them on the lot. they don't seem to be unicorns the way people make them sound online.

if you're talking about newport beach porsche don't expect much imo. they're nice sales people but they won't give you any deals.

i personally like McKenna. they're a bit more raw and don't mind making a deal. i enjoy negotiating so that might be why i liked it. it's not for everyone but they'll hook you up and take care of you.

this might sound crazy because all of the rumors about the current cayman's but historically you can get 9-11% off porsche's depending on the time of the year and if something has been on the lot for even a short time. check out some of the forums.

the only major difference was that i was spoiled by bmw's 100% service. never paid for a thing if it was in warranty... new wiper blade? no problem. coast? $0. of course they really work that in the overall cost but it feels free. porsche on the other hand... you will pay for your maintenance like oil changes. it's only a few hundred though and well worth the switch.

and finally... DO IT!!!
      10-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

IF you can get your hands on a GT4... I would do it!!!

Porsche dealers are always in the #1 or #2 sot on JD Powers surveys. They always rank better than say Lexus. BMW is maybe top #20. Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i could be wrong but i think we have more in SoCal. i've seen two different dealerships have them on the lot. they don't seem to be unicorns the way people make them sound online.

if you're talking about newport beach porsche don't expect much imo. they're nice sales people but they won't give you any deals.

i personally like McKenna. they're a bit more raw and don't mind making a deal. i enjoy negotiating so that might be why i liked it. it's not for everyone but they'll hook you up and take care of you.
It's NB Porsche, yes. Now that they seem to be available, I'll check out McKenna, thanks.

Quote:
this might sound crazy because all of the rumors about the current cayman's but historically you can get 9-11% off porsche's depending on the time of the year and if something has been on the lot for even a short time. check out some of the forums.
Well, realistic expectations and all, this will never happen with the GT4.

Quote:
the only major difference was that i was spoiled by bmw's 100% service. never paid for a thing if it was in warranty... new wiper blade? no problem. coast? $0. of course they really work that in the overall cost but it feels free. porsche on the other hand... you will pay for your maintenance like oil changes. it's only a few hundred though and well worth the switch.

and finally... DO IT!!!
Yeah...I'm aware of the service aspect. Just not sure what to expect from them overall.

Enabler...
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you can get your hands on a GT4... I would do it!!!
Yes...in this case, it went from CAN I to IF it will work. The fact that they even have 2 in inventory is surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Porsche dealers are always in the #1 or #2 sot on JD Powers surveys. They always rank better than say Lexus. BMW is maybe top #20. Maybe.
Thanks. That's good to know.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

If you pay "markup" on the GT4 you could be very close to a lightly used 991 GT3 in price.
After 20min street driving in the GT4 I came away impressed, but... Here is my problem. The car has ridiculously long 1,2,3 gears. Not the best on the track. I felt the car is held back by this. It was also surprisingly tail happy. Maybe alignment, maybe just too much dust on new tires, I do not know. (I cannot really judge a car based upon 20 min of semi fast street driving.) The pedals were not great for heel and toe either.
I would go with a used GT3. Not necessarily as a track only car mind you. (or you can just put your name on a GT4RS list, like I did in hope it will be produced)
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not clear on what you're saying.[/QUOTE]

If you can get sticker, like everyone else said, more than likely I'd snatched one. But...
The long/tall gear ratios might be something you should consider. 80 mph in second.

What I was referring to: If you care about cost that is...
PCCB' Porsche carbon ceramic brakes. Expensive option and oodles to repair /replace.
PDLS Porsche dynamic lighting system

Pssssfffttttt
Just put a deposit down and get it!
      10-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
If you pay "markup" on the GT4 you could be very close to a lightly used 991 GT3 in price.
After 20min street driving in the GT4 I came away impressed, but... Here is my problem. The car has ridiculously long 1,2,3 gears. Not the best on the track. I felt the car is held back by this. It was also surprisingly tail happy. Maybe alignment, maybe just too much dust on new tires, I do not know. (I cannot really judge a car based upon 20 min of semi fast street driving.) The pedals were not great for heel and toe either.
I would go with a used GT3. Not necessarily as a track only car mind you. (or you can just put your name on a GT4RS list, like I did in hope it will be produced)

Have you taken delivery of your GTS? So far impressions if so. Not thread jacking and he may like to hear a little about it too.
      10-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #11
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Have you taken delivery of your GTS? So far impressions if so. Not thread jacking and he may like to hear a little about it too.
I'd like to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^
911 GTS 4 though. Not a Cayman GTS.
      10-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
attila
Captain
Rep

Yes I have my 991 GTS4 for 5 months now. I like it. It is a good DD car. I posted a thread on it long ago.
The 991 GTS is not as "focused" as the GT4. But it is a more comfortable. Mine is a manual.
I am on the waiting list for the GT4RS if that car will be made. (funny thing, 6 people are front of me on the list!! on a car which is not even announced, maybe never will!!)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have my 991 GTS4 for 5 months now. I like it. It is a good DD car. I posted a thread on it long ago.
The 991 GTS is not as "focused" as the GT4. But it is a more comfortable. Mine is a manual.
I am on the waiting list for the GT4RS if that car will be made. (funny thing, 6 people are front of me on the list!! on a car which is not even announced, maybe never will!!)
I'll search for it. I do a cleanse of this forum now and then. Didn't look at it for nearly two years once.
      10-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
attila
Captain
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=GTS4

I am not sure this will pull it up??
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

^ Good write up and excellent build out. Colors are great and manual with pdcc is the cherry.
Those center locks kind of spook me. Old school I suppose.
As a DD they spook me that is.

I looked at a gts 2 manual in lava orange and loved the color and then maybe I didn't. Weird.

Enjoy.
      10-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #17
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Unfortunately this how all gt3/4 are geared because Andreas Preuninger likes to drive it mainly in second.

To the OP - buy it - no question. It's the thinking mans Porsche and unlikely to lose much.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #18
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
Unfortunately this how all gt3/4 are geared because Andreas Preuninger likes to drive it mainly in second.

To the OP - buy it - no question. It's the thinking mans Porsche and unlikely to lose much.
It's always easy to spend someone else's money

A 30% premium is a hell of a starting point for losses.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
On the GT4 (and GT3's) you can dial in the sway bars - to tailor to the driver over/understeer preferences.

Its probably also because the tires are still new and have that release mold agent still on them.

I think one of the best mods for the GT4 will be a new lower Ring & Pinion gears. That will take care of those long first two gears.

Dack
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #20
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

$110k for a Cayman s is ridiculous. That's more than what I'm paying for the gt4.

Options depend on what you're using it for. For dd, I'd go with the full extended leather with contrast stitching and all carbon trim. Those full carbon seats are nice too.

For track, all you need are those seats and ac delete.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post

I priced out a few porsches for comparison when car shopping. It seems a reasonable figure is to take the base price for whatever trim level you are considering and times it by 1.5 to come up with the regular price with any reasonable options.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Whelp, I got a ride in one yesterday.

136 miles on the clock, so the break-in-miles-ride was tame, but it was clearly evident that this is the best Porsche you can buy (unless your last name is Al Saud).
Appreciate 1