XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-09-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

Pre-LCI front bumper reflector DIY?

I picked up a set of clear front reflectors on sale from ECS but need help on the install.

Any DIY I can find is for LCI bumper.

I found this one .but the pics are gone

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-swap-diy.html

Can anyone shoot me some tips or a link? thanks
      04-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep

anyone?
      04-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I just did this on my 2009 X5 M sport last night.

If you don't have the oil cooler, you can do this without removing the front bumper. If you do though, you must remove the front bumper, however it is fairly simple.

On the driver's side, look in the lower right mesh grille below the fog light. If it's a dummy plate, you're in luck. If it's not you have an oil cooler. Refer to the passenger side to compare the difference. If it's the dummy plate, just pop it out, and you will be able to reach in and access the back of the reflector.

To remove the reflector, use a heat gun (low setting) or a blow dryer, and warm up the reflector and surrounding area from the outside. It is simply double sided tape that becomes easier to remove when warm. As you warm it up after a couple minutes, start applying pressure on the the reflector and ti will eventually pop inside. Make sure to clean off all the remaining tape residue inside, and wipe the contact surface with alcohol.

Before installing the new reflectors, I recommend using the heat gun to warm up the tape to ensure it sticks better to your bumper.

To remove the bumper, if necessary, there's a bunch of small bolts. I used a mini ratchet to remove them. Each side in the fender area has two, then another 2 or 3 below the bumper on each side. There's also 3 screws that turn 90 degrees counter clockwise under the bumper that hold the bumper to the under plate. And lastly there's like 5 more of those bolts when you pop the hood.

Once you have all those removed, I started at the corners and gently popped off the bumper.

Hopefully this helps.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep

looks like I have the oil cooler so the bumper is coming off! thanks very much for the info --