XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Pex5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

Active rear diff in the snow...

I pondered this question and posted it several places over the years...and little or no commentary came back. So here's my answer after driving our X6 in the white stuff:

Q: does the active rear diff (which the X5 does not have [except X5M]) negatively affect snow performance in the same way a limited slip diff does?

A: Yes. Only slightly - and in fact I personally prefer it since it reduces understeer. Scariest in the snow is understeer - heading into a bend you turn the wheel and the car continues straight, or doesn't turn enough. In this same scenario, the X6 will kick the back out more often than most SUVs - even off throttle. Makes it feel like a coupe.

I remember our E53 X5 with the old fixed split all wheel drive used to plow into a snowy corner with little front traction until you gassed it. A very uneasy scenario at first.

DRP
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

i actually just realized this yesterday, the back end kicks out but it doesnt seem dangerous
Appreciate 0