XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #67
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 - X5M - Melbourne

I thought so too. I printed out badassfajita's results and took it to the dealer. The SA stated that they would ask the tech to match the numbers. Upon speaking to the SA via phone yesterday (before pickup) the SA stated that the tech couldn't match the TOE numbers to match badassfajita's results because his X5 had 'Active Steering'. I stated to the SA that I'd take a look at the report when I came in.

I arrived and got the report but the SA wasn't there. I saw the toe was high but I paid and left. Should I reach out to the SA to do it again?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #68
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKZOOM View Post
I thought so too. I printed out badassfajita's results and took it to the dealer. The SA stated that they would ask the tech to match the numbers. Upon speaking to the SA via phone yesterday (before pickup) the SA stated that the tech couldn't match the TOE numbers to match badassfajita's results because his X5 had 'Active Steering'. I stated to the SA that I'd take a look at the report when I came in.

I arrived and got the report but the SA wasn't there. I saw the toe was high but I paid and left. Should I reach out to the SA to do it again?
lol, active steering has nothing to do with toe AFAIK. Absolutely, go to the SA again. There are plenty of members in the various forums whose cars don't have AS, but were able to achieve low values of toe.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #69
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:

... and that's the problem. The tech will state that he can't match the numbers, but in reality he's too lazy or has no incentive to give you the numbers you are asking for, because the results are "within" spec.

To get numbers like 0.02 on each wheel takes about 10 minutes per wheel because of drift and suspension movement when you're pulling on the eccentrics with a wrench. So it take patience to do it right!

Get it redone. Don't accept "no" for an answer. Stay with the car and ask for a read-out BEFORE they get it off the rack.

Next time (and there will be a next time) ... don't go to the dealer.
      10-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #70
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5
Quote:

... and that's the problem. The tech will state that he can't match the numbers, but in reality he's too lazy or has no incentive to give you the numbers you are asking for, because the results are "within" spec.

To get numbers like 0.02 on each wheel takes about 10 minutes per wheel because of drift and suspension movement when you're pulling on the eccentrics with a wrench. So it take patience to do it right!

Get it redone. Don't accept "no" for an answer. Stay with the car and ask for a read-out BEFORE they get it off the rack.

Next time (and there will be a next time) ... don't go to the dealer.
Thank you. I was under the impression that the dealer is the best place. Lesson learned.

I'll call them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #71
BAKZOOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er
Quote:

lol, active steering has nothing to do with toe AFAIK. Absolutely, go to the SA again. There are plenty of members in the various forums whose cars don't have AS, but were able to achieve low values of toe.
Thank you. I thought so but the SA wasn't available and I'm sure the tech had already left.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #72
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
I changed to the DWS tires about six weeks ago and I must say the ride is great and they are much quieter than the run flats. I have also towed my travel trailer with the new DWS tires and the handling is still great.
I have an appt with the dealer on the 19th for an alignment and they say it's $189 or $289 cdn if you have Active Steering. How can you tell if you have A/S or not as the dealer said most cars don't have it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #73
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Hunter Alignment

Been dealing with the tire wear issue here too - outside fronts, inside rears. Fronts are worse. I have 12k miles on the OE set of DUELER H/P SPORT Runflats.
In an attempt get a few more miles out of this set I decided get an alignment now, ahead of my next set of tires. I've read all the info on this forum and the "perfect" numbers a few here keep offering up - thanks.
I took mine in today and here are the before /after numbers. Another data point for you all:

Name:  Alignment 022017 2012 X5 50 20inch.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  263.7 KB

Front Toe was reduced overall by almost half.
Rear Toe actually is increased but with reduction in camber should reduce the wear I am seeing. At least my Thrust Angle is spot on!

I know they are not exactly what is suggested in other posts as 'optimal'. The tech took into account how my tires were wearing and how I wanted to reduce that. He didn't go as far out of spec as I asked. I don't really know why they don't just do what you ask them. He did spend some time on it, especially the fronts, as the tie rod ends were stuck. Also he did keep the steering wheel centered. He mentioned the telescoping wheel complicated it a bit as he wanted to make sure it stayed centered while extended, not just retracted while car was shut off.

It doesn't really feel any different with these small adjustments - I didn't expect any. As far as wear, these tires are so far gone in front all I am trying to do is buy enough time to tire shop and decide if I should run the fronts long enough to do the rears at the same time.

*** EDIT ***

After studying this above alignment printout some more, I am thoroughly confused by it. The confusion started when talking to the tech after the service. He and I were using opposite terminology when talking about positive or negative toe. Now I see on the printout it doesn't specify TOE-IN, but I assume it means that (not Toe-Out). So any positive value means toe-IN, and a negative value would be toe-OUT?
Now you have the tiny illustrations of each setting, like Toe, showing the tires pointing OUT - which implies "NEGATIVE Toe-OUT". Does that pic change with your tires setting?
Then what the hell are those little arrows above each given range? They vary from right to left but I can't see if they mean the current setting within that range, or something else. They are not consistent.

Here is the single most helpful breakdown of all alignment settings and what effect they have on handling and tire wear. Brilliantly written:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=4

However it doesn't help me read that infernal alignment printout any better.
To boot, the tire with the worst wear (right front, outside edge) appears to have had much less "positive Toe-In" than the left side (assuming I am reading this printout right), so how did it wear so badly?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 03-03-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #74
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
I never let other than BMW perform an alignment! Because of the "weighing down" of the vehicle, etc.