XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Question Has anyone here changed from a 535d to a X6 35d? How is the performance change?

Hi,

I am going to change from a 535d to a X6 35d and i would like to know if anyone has made a similar change from a 535d or 635d to a X6 35d?

1.How did u find the change in handling
2. how did u experience the change in performance \ acceleration and speed.

I have not ordered my X6 yet and i would really like to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

well,here is one guy,from england, John..he drove 635d and now he drives X6 35d...look from previous posts,you will find him..i think his is registrated under name JOHNBMW6...Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Deda is right, JohnBMW6 should be able to answer your question. You just need to be patient enough for him to pop his head in here again
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

thanks guys! i'll check with him
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
Hi,

I am going to change from a 535d to a X6 35d and i would like to know if anyone has made a similar change from a 535d or 635d to a X6 35d?

1.How did u find the change in handling
2. how did u experience the change in performance \ acceleration and speed.

I have not ordered my X6 yet and i would really like to know.
Hi ronald, I have owned the M6 and 635DSport, driven the X535D for some weeks and now have the X635D.
The difference in standard X5 X6 35D's is mainly in the handling and cornering, the X6 is a mile better when you have the confedence to push it on, I really love the tight corners and the X6 is as good as the M6 and 635DS on tight twisty roads I guarantee it. The X5 is miles behind.
Acceleration is better standard on the X635D but chip it or run a power box and it will really fly, good luck.
PS) a 535DS will be marginally quicker 0-60 due too weight of X6, after 60 MPH it will be closer, chip or power box fixes this.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am coming from a 535d - i think the biggest difference is that the acceleration is not that spectacular on a x6 because of its size and weight - you will only realize how fast you are by looking on the speedo...

i just hope the x6 is more fun to drive than a x5 that i have been driving for the last few days... the x5 just feels like a bus!

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

I have my 535d at 350hp.

I have not yet ordered my X6. Once i decide the colour, then i shall start selecting my options list. i like also the M bumpers so i will probably change mine to the M bumpers.

these questions are in particular for John..but everyone please answer also!

1. how much torque do u have?

2. may i have the website please for where u tuned it? I'll check them out and maybe use them for my upcoming X6.

3. is there another tuner that gives even more HP?

4. ok so the real qs,..my current 535d really accelerates like mad. With my 350HP, I am doing well under 5.8secs to 60 and top speed is over 270. Also overtaking is so so easy. How does this compare n the X6?

5. Overtaking. Do u sometimes NOT overtake due to the sheer size of the X6? Whereas in a 535d, or 635d u would have overtaken?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
I have my 535d at 350hp.

I have not yet ordered my X6. Once i decide the colour, then i shall start selecting my options list. i like also the M bumpers so i will probably change mine to the M bumpers.

these questions are in particular for John..but everyone please answer also!

1. how much torque do u have?

2. may i have the website please for where u tuned it? I'll check them out and maybe use them for my upcoming X6.

3. is there another tuner that gives even more HP?

4. ok so the real qs,..my current 535d really accelerates like mad. With my 350HP, I am doing well under 5.8secs to 60 and top speed is over 270. Also overtaking is so so easy. How does this compare n the X6?

5. Overtaking. Do u sometimes NOT overtake due to the sheer size of the X6? Whereas in a 535d, or 635d u would have overtaken?
1/ see here; http://www.p-tronic.co.uk/index.php?...onFilter=31239
2/ As in one
3/ Yes but I have not used them, search the web
4/ 6.39 secs 0-60 is the best I got, but in gear power is very strong.
5/ Overtaking is easy anytime, I dont need to plan it just do it.
6/ N/A

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
1/ see here; http://www.p-tronic.co.uk/index.php?...onFilter=31239
2/ As in one
3/ Yes but I have not used them, search the web
4/ 6.39 secs 0-60 is the best I got, but in gear power is very strong.
5/ Overtaking is easy anytime, I dont need to plan it just do it.
6/ N/A

Short and precise answers

So you are not worried about voiding your warranty? Have you had it since day 1? I did not think the tranny could take this much torque.. How easy is it to fit or remove?

cheers

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed View Post
Short and precise answers

So you are not worried about voiding your warranty? Have you had it since day 1? I did not think the tranny could take this much torque.. How easy is it to fit or remove?

cheers
Bought it new, the warranty will NOTbe affected as the box is removable/fitted in ONE minute flat, I had it on the 635DSport no problems.
The tranny can handle the power however I treat my car with care, 0-60 times are not for me mid range is where it's at and it has loads of that.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
Kungen
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 Xdrive35d

Evolve tuning

Hi Ronald.

I have never owned a 535d, although driving one several times. I agree with rsyed, the size and elevated position of the X6 perfectly disguise the true speed.

I have just let the extremely knowledgeable and friendly people at Evolve Automotive in Luton, UK, give some additional punch to my X6 through their ECU tuning (http://www.evo-s.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=6_3055_3056).

I did the tuning myself (since there is quite a distance from my place to Luton in UK) through an additional unit Evolve provided me with. The unit is connected to the OBDII-port, where the tuning map is transferred. Everything takes about 10 minutes. The unit can contain three maps (original + two tuning maps). By this your car could be reset to original before service etc and then back again to the tuned map after service. Any eventual error code will also be written over. If BMW would upgrade the ECU software, all you have to do is to email the new ECU software to Evolve and you will have a matching tuned map back in an hour or so. (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=33)

I normally drive rather defensive so the tuning is more of an "just in case" for a sudden overtake or similar. Evolve has different maps and gave me their strongest one on 360bhp/730Nm. The car is noticeable quicker on all gears after the tuning and the perception is that the X6 now is about as fast (or even faster) than the standard 535d on 282bhp I have driven. I just have around 1000km with the tuning so far but could detect a slight improvement of the mpg (I made an unscientific test over 2 x 80km at steady state with cruise control giving a 5% gain).

The best of all is that Evolve covers the BMW warranty in case there would be some obstacles with BMW due to the tuning. Evolve provide this coverage free of charge.

I will try to make some acceleration tests pre-/post tuning later on if I get hold of some Racelogic-device. I assume the 6.39 sec from Johnbmw6's box is the one to beat...

My X6 is equipped with Adaptive Drive, Sport Package and Active Steering so the handling is very nice, especially considering the weight and ground clearance. I would say it is comparable to the 5-series.

So far I am highly satisfied with the X6, and even more after the tuning from Evolve.

Last edited by Kungen; 04-18-2009 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Kungen,

thanks for the detailed feedback! May i ask,..how do u find the adaptive drive? Is it worth the money?

When u put it on its softest settings, does it make a noticeable difference when driving over say speed bumps or rough terrain?

any feedback on your 0-60 times?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

If you feel D drive is not enough for passing in tight traffic, switch to S Drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Kungen
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 Xdrive35d

Hello Ronald,

I have only driven E53 and E70 with the standard setup (sport package) but assume the E70 is rather similar to the E71. My feeling is that the AD in its softest setting is quite a bit softer and more comfortable than the standard sport package suspension. The AD in sport mode is slightly harder than the standard sport package suspension (with reservation to the different tire setup of the cars I tested).

The real benefit is that you can drive on soft suspension and simultaneously have a good control in bends due to the active anti roll bar. Shifting over to sport mode gives you both more responsive dampers and even less roll in the bends. I use this sometimes on curvy roads if the surface is not too rough but for normal conditions I prefer the more comfortable mode.

In my opinion you get a more comfortable and better handling car with the AD than without and the perception is that the car is more responsive when pushing it to the limits. So, in my opinion it is worth the money, especially together with the active steering.

No 0-60 data yet. Will try to arrange something later this summer. If you do not hear anything, I did most probably not manage to beat Johnbmw6's time...

Last edited by Kungen; 04-29-2009 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0