XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

X5M Ownership Rollercoaster

Posing this question/concern/complaint for others to comment, but are all X5Ms doomed for failure? All forums and posts that I've read are mainly about issues current and previous owners have with the X5m:

Front driveshaft
HPFP
Coil
Crankcase vent valve
Fuel injectors
and the list goes on and on...

Are these issues inherent to all X5m's or just to a subset of us on these forums? Reading some of these post are great in helping you learn about the car but also omen of looming catastrophic failure.

(For the record I own a used 2010 X5M and would love to keep the car for at least 4 years, only issue I have had is with the crankcase vent valves which I replaced)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I had my X5 for 23 days and been at BMW for 16 days. Really regretting getting X5. I should have stuck to my guns and got the F10

But the power makes up for everything
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I'm sure there's plenty of X5M's that run just fine w/ few issues, but typically people don't post that sort of thing on the forums. Or those people aren't on forums. Not saying issues don't exist though - there's lots of posts like yours

I have the xDrive50i and haven't had any issues, though I did buy it CPO so I wouldn't expect any.

Last edited by jiggz; 06-25-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
eswimm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

I expect an M car to have issues. My M roadster was pretty bulletproof, but the M6 and the X5M were great examples of the high maintenance required for a performance vehicle.

It seems like cracked hoses, broken partition panels and injector issues are incredibly common and something that could have been designed better. I haven't had HPFP or driveshaft issues, but in addition to the common issues above, I've had the top end opened twice to replace multiple lifters.

Had about $8,000 in repairs covered by the $2,700 Carmax warranty I purchased. In my experience, it's been as good or better than CPO. Only issue was the last lifter replacement, BMW wanted to replace the head. They couldn't demonstrate a definitive failure though, so Carmax vetoed the head and replaced 3 lifters and a rocker retention spring. Not sure if CPO would have just replaced the head.

Problem hasn't come back though, so I'm hopeful it's resolved.

I wouldn't call any of my BMWs reliable though, but at least I get a decent loaner and I always maintain a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
PJB
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: X5M, CLS 55AMG Jensen Int

2012 X5M = 71k KM (about 50k miles) so far on my car.

Other than service (3 years free) so $0, just a LOT of petrol (and set of tyres) so far.

Terrified in putting this in writing that I'll have jinxed it now !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

37 000 km here.

Nothing much to say except uneven tire wear, cosmetic touch ups and a lot of fun. As long as I have warranty, I don't really care what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 02:14 AM   #7
X Driver
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X5M Black Fire Edition

65kkm, everything allright...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

53k miles and the only problem i'm having is deciding which tune to get to make it even faster
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #9
hsc1102
Private
Rep

Sheiittt... Posted a few times before, 6 month owner of a new to me 2010 X5M... Decided press the accelerator and what happens next, the dreaded CEL engine malfunction reduced power.

Being an active reader and poster when I can be of help, I remembered past post of users having the same issue. So, I Pulled over and turned the engine off. After a minute or two turned the engine back on and no issues. Didn't push her again because I wanted to make it home with no issues. My experience sounds similar to many of the other posts that I've read about in other posts.

On one hand, I think I've conditioned myself to expect this to happen, but on the other hand I was hoping I was one of the ones that were 'safe' from this issue.

When I got home safely, I ran a quick scan with my OBDII reader I picked up on Amazon for $20... Got error code P0304 which looks to be a misfire on cylinder 4...

Love the car but this SUCKS!!!!
Edit QUOTE
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
hsc1102
Private
Rep

Update on my issue...

THANK GOD I got the extended warranty on my 2010 X5M, she has been nothing but fun and trouble. The warranty company is covering replacement of all 8 injectors and spark plugs on the car. Should get it back from the dealer on Tuesday, will report back.

For everyone still considering a warranty, I strongly advise to get a warranty based on my experience so far. For everyone's reference, my warranty company has covered the following repairs (minus $100 deductible for each repair):

Covered:
1) Automatic Tailgate arm replacement ~$1100
2) Front passenger side PDC sensor replacement ~$300
3) 8 Fuel Injectors and Spark Plugs ~$4500

Not Covered (Paid out of pocket):
1) Crankcase valve/hose replacement ~$2000
2) AC Fluid ~$175
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Your warranty does not cover crackcase valve/hose?

Or did you get the warranty after the repair? Curious to see what will ext warranty will cover or not.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #12
hsc1102
Private
Rep

I got the warranty when I bought my new to me (used) 2010 X5M in February 2015. Figured better safe than sorry.

The crankcase valve/hose issue happened after I already had my warranty. However repair was not covered because the warranty company considered this an emmission component which it explicitly lists in its exclusion section.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
smolieri
Private
Rep

who is your warranty with?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
hsc1102
Private
Rep

It's a GM extended warranty which applies to my car since I bought it used from a GM dealership. I get all service done at a BMW dealership of course...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
smolieri
Private
Rep

How does that compare to the Route66 easy streat warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
hsc1102
Private
Rep

Not sure, I did not compare with route66 or any other company... if you search the forums there were some good writeups and comparisons. Just remember all quotes can be negotiated.

Mine was an exclusionary policy which means that everything on the car minus normal wear and tear items and anything listed as an exclusion was covered.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

This was my exclusion page. I am using RedAuto for an Extended Warranty.

"For any of the following parts: hoses, brake pads, brake linings/shoes,
wiper blades, belts, thermostat housing, shock absorbers, carburetor,
battery and battery cable/harness, standard transmission clutch assembly,
friction clutch disc and pressure plate, distributor cap and rotor, safety
restraint systems (including air bags), glass, lenses, sealed beams, light
bulbs, LED lighting, fuses, circuit breakers, cellular phones, personal
computers, pre-heated car systems, game systems, radar detection
devices, brake rotors and drums, all exhaust components, and the
following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors,
vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/
lines/valves, catalytic converter/filtering/sensors, gas cap/filler neck,
weather strips, trim, moldings, bright metal chrome, upholstery and carpet,
paint, outside ornamentation, bumpers, body sheet metal and panels,
frame and structural body parts, vinyl and convertible tops, any convertible
top assemblies, door handles, lift gate handles, tailgate handles, door
bushings/bearings, hardware or linkage, tires, tire pressure sensors,
wheel/rims, programming, reprogramming, or updating or maintaining a
component that has not mechanically failed. Any equipment not installed
by the manufacturer. External nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not covered
unless they need to be replaced in connection with a Covered Repair.
Engine block and cylinder heads are not covered if damage is caused by
external overheating, freezing, or warping or any other part not listed in the
coverage section."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
hsc1102
Private
Rep

Looks similar to mine.

A. For any of the following parts: carburetor; battery and battery cable/harness (unless listed as specific covered parts); standard transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc, and pressure plate; distributor cap and rotor; glass; lenses; sealed beams; light bulbs; fuses; circuit breakers; cellular phones; game centers; AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3,000 repair or replacement cost; speakers; audio/video equipment; any pixel damage on display screens; electronic transmitting/receiving devices; remote control consoles; radar detection devices; brake rotors and drums; all exhaust components; and the following emission components: EGR purge valve/solenoids/sensors; vacuum canister; vapor return canister; vapor return lines/valves; air pump/lines/valves; catalytic converter/filtering/sensors; emission vapor sensors; gas cap/filler neck; weather strips; trim; moldings, bright metal chrome; upholstery and carpet; paint; outside ornamentation; bumpers; body sheet metal and panels; frame and structural body parts; vinyl and convertible tops; any convertible top assemblies; hardware or linkages; tires; wheels/rims. External nuts, bolts, and fasteners are not covered except where required in conjunction with a covered repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #19
hsc1102
Private
Rep

Observations after Injector and spark plug service after 500 miles of driving:

1) X5M seems to be smoother from startup to acceleration.
2) Gas mileage is better by almost 2 mpg, before I was averaging 12.5 - 13.5 mpg (75% city / 25% highway) but now I am getting 14.5 - 15.5 mpg
3) there was a ticking sound from the engine when idle or during light acceleration which was from the injector but with the new injector it's not as loud
4) there used to be a ticking sound coming from the back of the car from an alarm or computer/electronic component (no it was not coming from the engine, exhaust, or any other mechanical component cooling off) in the back of the car which is now gone. Probably a result of the firmware update
5) the firmware update seems to have gotten rid of the "long discharge" warning I used to get from the cooling fan running after turning the car off. I don't think the car itself is running any cooler but they may have shortened the length of time the fan is running

In summary the car is running smoother and I am happy with the results so far, the MPG gain was a GREAT surprise. Also my extended warranty company covered the entire repair so I did not have to pay for the 5k repair.

The only bad thing, I used to be able to control and play music with my iPhone adapter with the Oem lightning adapter but now it is not working. Maybe the firmware update on the car changed something
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #20
RickM5x3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Great car but eats/melts/cracks anything underhood not made of steel or aluminum!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #21
godmans
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / 335i / X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM5x3
Great car but eats/melts/cracks anything underhood not made of steel or aluminum!
Well, for how hot it runs in the engine bay given where the turbos and cats are, it is kind of hard to avoid
Appreciate 0