XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
anyone know how you tell what version of software is loaded in the car ?

I suspect when my car was reprogrammed new software was loaded and that was what made the problem go away. I haven't had any issues since but it would be nice to know how to check version.
I'm not sure if you can access this via the iDrive controller, haven't looked at the diagnostic screens in ages, but here is how you get into the diagnostic mode:

1. Make sure you are in the iDrives Main menu screen (it should show an 'i' in the middle of the screen).
2. Push and hold the iDrive controller down for approximately 8 to 10 seconds.
3. Turn the iDrive controller 3 clicks to the right (clockwise).
4. Turn the iDrive controller 3 clicks to the left (counter-clockwise).
5. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the right (clockwise).
6. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the left (counter-clockwise).
7. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the right (clockwise).
8. Push the iDrive controller down once.

That should bring up the diagnostic mode for the iDrive controller.

If you want to get into the Navigation diagnostic screen, you need to do the following:

1. Make sure you are in the Navigation main menu (from the main menu briefly push the controller to the right).
2. Once in the Navigation menu, pull the controller down (towards you) three times until your at the bottom selection.
3. Move the selector to but DO NOT SELECT the "Map, Direction of Travel" option.
4. Push and hold the iDrive controller diagonally into to the top-right corner for approximately 8 to 10 seconds.
5. Turn the iDrive controller 3 clicks to the right (clockwise).
6. Turn the iDrive controller 3 clicks to the left (counter-clockwise).
7. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the right (clockwise).
8. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the left (counter-clockwise).
9. Turn the iDrive controller 1 click to the right (clockwise).
10. Push the iDrive controller down.
11. Push the iDrive controller to the right to select the different diagnostic options.

If I remember correctly, the only way to get out of these menus is by turning the ignition off again!

PLEASE ONLY ATTEMPT TO PLAY WITH THESE MENUS WHEN YOU ARE STATIONARY AND ARE NOT DRIVING!!!!

You should also be able to access the software version information via the board computer diagnostic/service screen which should show up on the info display in the middle of your instrument cluster. This is the same screen that your dealership uses to quickly check for any issues that you report when you bring your car in.

1. Turn the ignition on (I don't recall if you need to start your car or not).
2. Press and hold the day-trip/odometer reset button in the instrument cluster for about 10 seconds.
3. To select the next menu item in sequence, keep pressing this button repeatedly.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT CHANGE any settings as some will have irreversible effects on the car!

Hope this helps.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #24
autodahn
Kassel Kid
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
anyone know how you tell what version of software is loaded in the car ?

I suspect when my car was reprogrammed new software was loaded and that was what made the problem go away. I haven't had any issues since but it would be nice to know how to check version.
I was told the software was released last week. I'm guessing that with nothing unusual, it will be installed with the next regular service. I will let you know if it does or does not do the job as promised!

Cheers,

ad
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
rcalabrojr
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Check Engine Light #2 at the 2,000 mile mark

Check engine light #2 at the 2,000 mile mark after 250 mile trip to San Diego. Software upgrade installed this morning. Supposedly the April BMW Roundtable recommended a software upgrade.

2009 X6 50
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #26
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Are we all talking about 6 cyl or 8 cylinder? My n54 engine had the light come on in Desert between San Diego and Vegas. Every time I stepped on it hard, the light would come on. Restart would clear it. Drove from 200 miles from Baker with no A/C. My dealer found a kinked vacuum hose they said was routed incorectly at the time it was built. After re-route and replace it runs better than it ever did. No warnings. Now it goes in again this week for a constant pulling to the right that has been there 13000 miles and 2 fixes. Cheap
      05-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #27
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
Are we all talking about 6 cyl or 8 cylinder? My n54 engine had the light come on in Desert between San Diego and Vegas. Every time I stepped on it hard, the light would come on. Restart would clear it. Drove from 200 miles from Baker with no A/C. My dealer found a kinked vacuum hose they said was routed incorectly at the time it was built. After re-route and replace it runs better than it ever did. No warnings. Now it goes in again this week for a constant pulling to the right that has been there 13000 miles and 2 fixes. Cheap
Wow Cheap the pulling to the right would have me dialing my lawyer,
I might be able to put with various warnings lights, car not running but this seems dangerous to me.

I wonder if this is like shenard's first car it had a similar issue. Please keep us posted I'm at 11000 and heading out to Nevada in week.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #28
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow Cheap the pulling to the right would have me dialing my lawyer,
I might be able to put with various warnings lights, car not running but this seems dangerous to me.

I wonder if this is like shenard's first car it had a similar issue. Please keep us posted I'm at 11000 and heading out to Nevada in week.
Mine wasn't the car pulling to the right. It was an issue with the steering locking due to losing power steering power, something with the servotronic steering. Did not understand the details but that is what the technician ultimately thought.

Cheap's problem sounds like X6 is either out of alignment or possibly one of the tires are defective since he mentioned he has had the problem for 13,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Mine wasn't the car pulling to the right. It was an issue with the steering locking due to losing power steering power, something with the servotronic steering. Did not understand the details but that is what the technician ultimately thought.

Cheap's problem sounds like X6 is either out of alignment or possibly one of the tires are defective since he mentioned he has had the problem for 13,000 miles.
I seem to remember from one of his earlier posts that the dealer had replaced the tire and checked the front end. Cheap correct ? (or am I old and feeble).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

dmlgc, you are anything but old and feeble. You are exactly correct ,they put on two new front tires and did alignment as well as ajusted the steering rack, and it STILL pulls. Wonder what they will try this time. Some area rep from BMW is supposed to be there tomorrow to check it out. They Tried to tell me it wasn't pulling then gave me a x5 loaner that went straight! You could tell the difference in 10 seconds! Now they are trying to say it's the 20" wheel and tires that follow the roads angle. BS--- cheap
      05-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #31
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
dmlgc, you are anything but old and feeble. You are exactly correct ,they put on two new front tires and did alignment as well as ajusted the steering rack, and it STILL pulls. Wonder what they will try this time. Some area rep from BMW is supposed to be there tomorrow to check it out. They Tried to tell me it wasn't pulling then gave me a x5 loaner that went straight! You could tell the difference in 10 seconds! Now they are trying to say it's the 20" wheel and tires that follow the roads angle. BS--- cheap
Did they also replace the wheels? It could be a bent or out of round rim which could cause it to pull. Sorry for you problem. That is a pain in the ass when the car pulls.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #32
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So all the rest of us that have 20" wheels just don't notice that the car "follows the road" pulling to the right.

Give them hell Cheap , you're right that's a BS excuse.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #33
X650i Beast
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 blk, '09 335i mont blu

another victim of the check engine light. The car was in the shop for 4 days and they finally gave it back to me today. Something about the car not wanting to reset the computer once they ran the codes? We'll see how long it stays "fixed"
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #34
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X650i Beast View Post
another victim of the check engine light. The car was in the shop for 4 days and they finally gave it back to me today. Something about the car not wanting to reset the computer once they ran the codes? We'll see how long it stays "fixed"
Just curious how many miles you have? I have 4,900 miles on my 2009 X6 50i and no problems so far. Will keep my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

I have started noticing that the bluetooth system is becoming erratic. It goes off under heavy acceleration, or when I just start the vehicle.
This symptomatic of power not been adequate to the peripherial systems when there is a heavy demand by high priority systems like the engine.
I called the dealers to inform them of a potential battery problem and their response is quite interesting.
They asked me to bring it in soon, because the next thing will be the "check engine" light, they admit to having quite a number of X6s coming in with similar problem.
The fix is replacement with a high capacity battery and reprogramming of the system.

Last edited by chonko; 06-10-2009 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
The fix is replacement with a capacity battery and reprogramming of the system.
What capacity battery did they put in?

Is this the wrong battery installed at the factory thing I've read about?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #37
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
What capacity battery did they put in?

Is this the wrong battery installed at the factory thing I've read about?
I am yet to have it fix, that will be done later this weekend. Apparantely, it came with the wrong battery.
So, yes it is the wrong factory-installed-battery thing you've read about.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #38
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X650i Beast View Post
For mine it took battery replacement and total reprogram of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #39
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
The fix is replacement with a capacity battery and reprogramming of the system.
Exactly what they did to mine to fix CE light problem. You would think BMW would just tell all the dealers to have folks come and have them do this.
Appreciate 0