XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Cactus_BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

E-70 Folding Mirror Sticking

Hi All,
In the last week my passenger-side folding mirror has begun to stick when re-opening. It might open back a couple inches, then stops. I've had to manually assist the movement to get it to fully open. I've stopped folding the mirrors now for fear that I won't get it to reopen next time.

To have BMW or my independent shop fix this, my quotes are $1500+. Going with PLAN-B, do something myself.

I've been digging through google, but am having challenges coming up with anything about the folding motor. Practically every article/video I find is dealing with replacing the glass or the motor for the glass angle - not the folding mechanism. So I'm stumped if it is even possible to replace just the motor, and if so I'm not finding a part number or guide to do this.

I've also discovered used replacement whole mirror assembly options for under $200. I'm wondering if this might actually be the easiest path to take? As in don't bother to try to disassemble the mirror to replace the motor, just swap the whole mirror out? And if so, is that relatively easy to perform? If it is fairly easy, I'd only have to deal with the color of the mirror, which may be a cover I can swap out from my existing mirror?

Thanks!

Cactus_BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have done the E53 motors x4 as they are weak, but it does not appear to be an issue with the E70, at least to the same degree. I would move forward with a used unit if it were me. This way you do not cause any collateral damage during the disassembly.
Appreciate 0