XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

Engine smoking / fire

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've posted a new thread, and I've never posted one over here. I've been a long time 3 series owner (almost ten years). I've had two 328s and two 335s. When it came time to get a new car, I was planning on getting an M3, but my girlfriend wanted a bigger car so I got an E70 X5 M.

Recently, I've been having trouble with steam coming from the engine after long drives. My iDrive told me to add coolant, so I did. The steam persisted, so I planned on taking it to a mechanic. Then yesterday, after driving no more than 15 miles on the highway, I pulled into my destination and noticed smoke coming from the hood. I opened it up and noticed FIRE coming from below the front section of plastic (the piece directly in front of the engine cover). I quickly grabbed a fire extinguisher and put that out. I waited for the smoke to die down and then started it up again just to see if any lights would come on. After running for a minute or two, it said coolant level low again (keep in mind I'd just added coolant the day before). One quick note: the temperature gauge in my cluster has been reading normal this whole time.

I'm planning on bringing it to a mechanic tomorrow, and I'm obviously not going to be driving it until he looks at it, but I'm really concerned I've just totaled my car. Have any of you experienced anything like this? Or do you guys have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Denton
      09-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Engine Partition Panels- broken As for the coolant loss, wait & see what your mechanic has to say. Could be a hose or pump, etc. Also, show greddy91 some love for compiling his list for new owners Buying an E70 X5M? Need to knows...

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 09-29-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Engine Partition Panels- broken As for the coolant loss, wait & see what your mechanic has to say. Could be a hose or pump, etc. Also, show greddy91 some love for compiling this list for new owners Buying an E70 X5M? Need to knows...
Nailed it - look at the heat shield in the back middle, right by the firewall... scrape out the pile of plastic that is heating up and cooling down in there at every drive.

Now - replace the plastics and wait for it to happen again, or you just now found a way to justify buying downpipes.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
kdbryce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Engine Partition Panels- broken As for the coolant loss, wait & see what your mechanic has to say. Could be a hose or pump, etc. Also, show greddy91 some love for compiling his list for new owners Buying an E70 X5M? Need to knows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Nailed it - look at the heat shield in the back middle, right by the firewall... scrape out the pile of plastic that is heating up and cooling down in there at every drive.

Now - replace the plastics and wait for it to happen again, or you just now found a way to justify buying downpipes.
Thanks for the replies, guys. This doesn't sound like it's as big a deal as I thought it was. Or is it? Do you reckon it will be expensive to fix?

I would be pretty interested in getting downpipes if that would solve the issue...
      10-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
I thought you said it was coming from the front of the motor? That could be oil leaking from the damn crankcase vent lines.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
BXMMMMMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Garage List
2011 BMX X5M  [0.00]
Your auxiliary coolant pump could be going out (or it's gone) which leads to the coolant drain. This small fire could have helped you prevent a much bigger issue once you find the source.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. This doesn't sound like it's as big a deal as I thought it was. Or is it? Do you reckon it will be expensive to fix?

I would be pretty interested in getting downpipes if that would solve the issue...
Your description of front is relative I suppose after reading the other replies it made me think differently.

Are you talking about the firewall plastics or the plastics above the radiator?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
kdbryce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post

Your description of front is relative I suppose after reading the other replies it made me think differently.

Are you talking about the firewall plastics or the plastics above the radiator?
Plastics above the radiator. It's not near the firewall. I meant front of the car when I said front