XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

My Dinan X6 50i (Trigger)

I had been worried over the last couple months wondering if the long, 6 month wait for my X6 50i from Dinan would be worth it, and after checking in on the progress at their facility in Morgan Hilll yesterday, all my anxiety was put to rest.

I have to admit, giving my car away after just the 2nd month of owning it, and then seeing it again for the first time in 32 weeks, got me so excited I pratically wanted to give Trigger a big hug. (Yes, I named my car Trigger, as in a gun trigger, and yes, my girlfriend thinks its very geeky). You forget how intimidating and powerful the vehicle looks (I have always compared it to my muscular and husky pitbull "Chico") up close when you haven't been around it for a while, especially in a garage full of BMW coupes and sedans as comparisons. The suspension modifications were only somewhat noticeable, but the real difference and fun came in the test drive. The noise that it makes with the new exhaust system when you're punching it from 0 -60 is menacing and burly, and in a good way. I will post the video my girlfriend took standing on the curb while my X6 buzzed by. They have virtually eliminated the turbo lag, and the jolt you get from flooring it is really frickin' gnarly! Keep in mind this is all Stage 1, with two more stages and much more HP to come..... Alll I can say is AWESOME!
I got a chance to see the Dinan badge in the larger X6 font, and the black ceramic tips they will be adding to the exhaust next week. Totally AWESOME! In addition, they will be getting in and installing my red caliper Brembo brakes with the Dinan logo laster etched in black . And, crossing my fingers, they will take it to Stage 2 for an extra 50 HP, and I will pick it up later next week. Stage 3 will take longer, and they can complete it on the 750 they own in-house. I will be able to go to my SoCal Dinan dealer and get the software update when it's available later this year.

Overall, I am so completey stoked, you have no idea. I have been asking myself today knowing, seeing, and hearng my X6 50 with the current Dinan upgrades and others to come next week, would I prefer the stock X6 M or my soon to be completed Dinan X6 50i? I would have to go with my Dinan. The HP will be the same, but I will have a much more efficient, powerful, and unique exhaust, the cool brakes, the black ceramic tips, and the cool Dinan badge. I will give up the "M" on the seat, the big mouth bass grill, the iDrive update which I still don't know what all the fuss is about, and keep the extra $20K. They say the X6 M starts at $89K, but who are they kidding? Maybe with AM/FM cassette, manual windows and doors, 17" wheels, and an M keychain. My car, with literally every option available except the hitch and roof racks (I even bought illuminated door sills, total must have), was more expensive than that, and I bought from a close friend who told me because of the limited supply and high demand for this model, he couldn't budge on the price. In addition, for those who are considering an X6, and don't know if they should go with the 3.5 or 50i, just test drive them both, and don't just prance around the parking lot, take it on the freeway and open it up. You'll see its a total no brainer. The 3.5 just doesn't have the kick or the next level of power needed in the mountains, on hills, or even in straightaways to move the massive weight of the car. Plus, you don't want to get punk'd off the line by a Mercedes, Lexus, or Range Rover, right?

Last edited by foofitr; 07-25-2009 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

post some pics man.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
MHaynes772
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
I had been worried over the last couple months wondering if the long, 6 month wait for my X6 50i from Dinan would be worth it, and after checking in on the progress at their facility in Morgan Hilll yesterday, all my anxiety was put to rest.

I have to admit, giving my car away after just the 2nd month of owning it, and then seeing it again for the first time in 32 weeks, got me so excited I pratically wanted to give Trigger a big hug. (Yes, I named my car Trigger, as in a gun trigger, and yes, my girlfriend thinks its very geeky). You forget how intimidating and powerful the vehicle looks (I have always compared it to my muscular and husky pitbull "Chico") up close when you haven't been around it for a while, especially in a garage full of BMW coupes and sedans as comparisons. The suspension modifications were only somewhat noticeable, but the real difference and fun came in the test drive. The noise that it makes with the new exhaust system when you're punching it from 0 -60 is menacing and burly, and in a good way. I will post the video my girlfriend took standing on the curb while my X6 buzzed by. They have virtually eliminated the turbo lag, and the jolt you get from flooring it is really frickin' gnarly! Keep in mind this is all Stage 1, with two more stages and much more HP to come..... Alll I can say is AWESOME!
I got a chance to see the Dinan badge in the larger X6 font, and the black ceramic tips they will be adding to the exhaust next week. Totally AWESOME! In addition, they will be getting in and installing my red caliper Brembo brakes with the Dinan logo laster etched in black . And, crossing my fingers, they will take it to Stage 2 for an extra 50 HP, and I will pick it up later next week. Stage 3 will take longer, and they can complete it on the 750 they own in-house. I will be able to go to my SoCal Dinan dealer and get the software update when it's available later this year.

Overall, I am so completey stoked, you have no idea. I have been asking myself today knowing, seeing, and hearng my X6 50 with the current Dinan upgrades and others to come next week, would I prefer the stock X6 M or my soon to be completed Dinan X6 50i? I would have to go with my Dinan. The HP will be the same, but I will have a much more efficient, powerful, and unique exhaust, the cool brakes, the black ceramic tips, and the cool Dinan badge. I will give up the "M" on the seat, the big mouth bass grill, the iDrive update which I still don't know what all the fuss is about, and keep the extra $20K. They say the X6 M starts at $89K, but who are they kidding? Maybe with AM/FM cassette, manual windows and doors, 17" wheels, and an M keychain. My car, with literally every option available except the hitch and roof racks (I even bought illuminated door sills, total must have), was more expensive than that, and I bought from a close friend who told me because of the limited supply and high demand for this model, he couldn't budge on the price. In addition, for those who are considering an X6, and don't know if they should go with the 3.5 or 50i, just test drive them both, and don't just prance around the parking lot, take it on the freeway and open it up. You'll see its a total no brainer. The 3.5 just doesn't have the kick or the next level of power needed in the mountains, on hills, or even in straightaways to move the massive weight of the car. Plus, you don't want to get punk'd off the line by a Mercedes, Lexus, or Range Rover, right?
Have they said when this will be available to the public?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
. . .me so excited I pratically wanted to give Trigger a big hug. (Yes, I named my car Trigger, as in a gun trigger, and yes, my girlfriend thinks its very geeky).
I thought maybe you meant Trigger the horse and you're a Roy Rodgers fan. I was going to ask if it could count, too, but wait, maybe that was Mr Ed. It's been so long I've forgotten.Actually I think they both counted, but Mr. Ed could talk.

That lil' monster X6 in your garage is going to surprise a few people. And how many people have the distinction of claiming their car was the test bed for all the other X6, X5 around the world that buy those upgrades. Too bad you couldn't get them to install Stage 3 - now that would be really cooking!

What does that do to your warranty at this point?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
So what exactly is done to it so far? Software tuning for +/- 50hp and the suspension? What else is done for stage 2 to get another 50hp? Is it just pure software tuning or will they be adding other mods like larger oil cooler and upgraded intercooler or possibly intake/exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I thought maybe you meant Trigger the horse and you're a Roy Rodgers fan. I was going to ask if it could count, too, but wait, maybe that was Mr Ed. It's been so long I've forgotten.Actually I think they both counted, but Mr. Ed could talk.
in real life trigger could count Mr Ed. could neither talk nor count.

Quote:
What does that do to your warranty at this point?
good question, next stage will void it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

My warranty is solid, think about it...I volunteer my rig for 6 months, I'm getting the work done at their corporate headquarters while driving Steve Dinan's 500 HP 335i in the meantime, working with their top engineers...I feel very well connected. Next stage won't void it, it includes it and anticipates it....got it all in writing bro. Software will be the only difference between Stage 2 & 3, just plug my car in and within 20 minutes I'm @ or around 550 HP to get to Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
in real life trigger could count Mr Ed. could neither talk nor count.
You're one of the few people that would know that or bothered to figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My warranty is solid, think about it...I volunteer my rig for 6 months, I'm getting the work done at their corporate headquarters while driving Steve Dinan's 500 HP 335i in the meantime, working with their top engineers...I feel very well connected. Next stage won't void it, it includes it and anticipates it....got it all in writing bro. Software will be the only difference between Stage 2 & 3, just plug my car in and within 20 minutes I'm @ or around 550 HP to get to Stage 3
No doubt your warranty with Dinan, but was wondering how you would handle it if you had to get some work done through BMW? I'm not that familiar with it but I've heard that some BMW dealers are Dinan dealers as well, so maybe it's no big deal. Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
No doubt your warranty with Dinan, but was wondering how you would handle it if you had to get some work done through BMW? I'm not that familiar with it but I've heard that some BMW dealers are Dinan dealers as well, so maybe it's no big deal. Just curious.
Go to a dealer like mine in TX that servicers over 300 Dinan tuned cars and you will have no problem. A ew of my buddies have an M6 and M5 with Steve Dinan's big stroker V10 replacement engine and they have had several warranty issues over the past few years with blown gaskets, etc and never had a single issue at the dealership level. I think you just need a trusted high-volume Dinan dealership that has a strong relationship with Dinan and you will have no issues
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I find it very hard to believe to Steve will get you to 550hp with just software tunes because even the new M version has different intake manifolds and other tweaks in the engine compartment to handle the extra HP and torque. Also, when I saw spoke to Steve about 4 months ago at my dealer he told me that the way he was going to get the X6 to 550+HP was by doing a big-turbo upgrade kit and replacing the stock turbos with the Garrett twin-scroll turbos from the M version and then he could potentially tune it, add exhaust and be somewhere around 600hp. Either way it will be sweet! I only hope he can do stage 1 and 2 with software tunes alone because I will be all over this!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Go to a dealer like mine in TX that servicers over 300 Dinan tuned cars and you will have no problem. A ew of my buddies have an M6 and M5 with Steve Dinan's big stroker V10 replacement engine and they have had several warranty issues over the past few years with blown gaskets, etc and never had a single issue at the dealership level. I think you just need a trusted high-volume Dinan dealership that has a strong relationship with Dinan and you will have no issues
I suppose Dinan has a list of BMW/Dinan dealerships? No doubt they have one in SoCa, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I suppose Dinan has a list of BMW/Dinan dealerships? No doubt they have one in SoCa, right?
Yes. You just need to check and make sure they service and sell a lot of Dinan products and have a good relationship with Dinan. Some dealers can be quirky about it if they are not a Dinan authorized BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

Here are pics of the new exhaust and black ceramic tips
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

This is with a very old digital camera, so it really doesn't do it justice

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That was faster than before, right?

Actually, I'm teasing, because that acceleration was awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Do u mean grey tip? i only see grey with Dinan engraved (?) on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow - just watched a few m5board.com Youtube vids of Dina's factory. That place is incredible. The level of attention to every detail is unheard of now days - it no wonder he's having such a high level of success.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #19
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:

OMG i'm in love... how much does that exhaust cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow - just watched a few m5board.com Youtube vids of Dina's factory. That place is incredible. The level of attention to every detail is unheard of now days - it no wonder he's having such a high level of success.
If that video doesn't sell you on Dinan, I don't know what will. Like Steve says, the difference is that they design, engineer, and manufacture their own products, and warranty everything. When I toured the facility and met all the engineers working on my car specifically, I was really impressed. The 335 E-92 White 2-door at the begining of the facility tour, is the BMW I'm driving, it's CRAZY fast!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

links would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
foofitr
SoCal beach bum