XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2014, 01:31 PM   #45
SteveMD
Colonel
SteveMD's Avatar
United_States
101
Rep
2,474
Posts

Drives: '12 X5 50i, '15 GTI w/PP, LP
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raventown!

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2015 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Why can't they just remove all of that airbox and piping to the turbo and just get a couple cone filters plus a silicone coupling hose directly onto the turbo???
There are a couple of sensors (MAF??) in the mix. But yeah, I really want to do this.
__________________
2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 4.6 secs 0-60.
2015 VW GTI LP PP
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #46
3X3=5
Lieutenant
3X3=5's Avatar
56
Rep
526
Posts

Drives: in a lot of traffic
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
There are a couple of sensors (MAF??) in the mix. But yeah, I really want to do this.
Reviving this thread in hopes for some news. It does seem like a filter with straight through piping to the turbos and MAF sensors integrated into that piping could be done fairly easily. But, I'm guessing, if it really was that easy someone would have done it by now. Anyone willing to tinker and test a direct piping set up with their 50i?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #47
jgbackes
Driving a German Car for the First Time
United_States
0
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 750Li
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Northern CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X3=5 View Post
Reviving this thread in hopes for some news. It does seem like a filter with straight through piping to the turbos and MAF sensors integrated into that piping could be done fairly easily. But, I'm guessing, if it really was that easy someone would have done it by now. Anyone willing to tinker and test a direct piping set up with their 50i?
You can definitely see the difference in air paths between the two engines in the BMW service documentation.

Would be a very fun upgrade.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #48
phl110
New Member
4
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW X5 xdrive 50i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Cross posting this:

I know this thread is three years old. But new bmw owner of a 2011 x5 50i. First bmw ever. So far have been pretty happy with my purchase (despite initially having buyers remorse stumbling upon on the n63 recall info the day after I made my purchase). Had it for about 5 months and she runs perfectly so far (knock on wood)

Anyways, was wondering if anyone could reprovide the pictures maxx put up on how to change out the air filters. The links no longer work. I can't seem to find any info at all on how to change them out on this engine. Closet thing I found was a you tube video of very poor quality where the guy had already removed everything and was just randomly pointing to parts and screws to remove. Any help would be appreciated. Even a scanned copy of 3 yr old printout of Maxx's post would be better than nothing. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #49
j6yd
Enlisted Member
j6yd's Avatar
1
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I second that!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #50
Maxx2
Second Lieutenant
28
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: 16 X5
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Unknown

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl110 View Post
Cross posting this:

I know this thread is three years old. But new bmw owner of a 2011 x5 50i. First bmw ever. So far have been pretty happy with my purchase (despite initially having buyers remorse stumbling upon on the n63 recall info the day after I made my purchase). Had it for about 5 months and she runs perfectly so far (knock on wood)

Anyways, was wondering if anyone could reprovide the pictures maxx put up on how to change out the air filters. The links no longer work. I can't seem to find any info at all on how to change them out on this engine. Closet thing I found was a you tube video of very poor quality where the guy had already removed everything and was just randomly pointing to parts and screws to remove. Any help would be appreciated. Even a scanned copy of 3 yr old printout of Maxx's post would be better than nothing. Thanks!
Congrats on your new purchase!

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X5 50i (N63) Air Box Removal Guide.pdf (4.38 MB, 323 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:16 AM   #51
zombiemaniac
Private
6
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: Bmw E70
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Custom Air intake system

up to 20 hp with just ecu flash!
more with catless downpipes,exhaust etc..
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST