XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice wheels,but that hole is huge...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
Metro TT
Rep
Drives: '08 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I've just ordered the following package from Tirerack yesterday:

4 255/55R-18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT RunFlat XL
4 Mount and Balance (No Charge)
4 18x8 O.Z. Canyon Bright Sil
2 Required centering ring
2 Required centering ring
4 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
4 Required Valve
1 Griot's wheel care sample kit

Total cost is $2,359.66. I could have bought cheaper rims (made in China), but decided to buy OZ as they are really good quality, well made (in Italy) and these particular ones were reduced on closeout - and anyway there is no point skimping on wheels and tire quality IMO.

**NOTE:** Apparently the hub size is different front v back (72/74MM) on the X6 which is a watch-out - Tirerack have the details on the centering ring sizes required and have said they will make sure the wheels are marked up front/rear prior to shipping. This is also important to mark up when you eventually switch back to the summer tires as you won't remember which is front and which rear when you come to dust them back down next fall!

These shipped today so should get them delivered and then fitted within the next week. I'll advise as to how it went once installed.

Cheers, Anteater

Glad the package works well for you. I find the wheels to be a bit generic looking and too aftermarket. The BMW replicas I got are a fraction of the cost and look totally Bimmer, just like OEM. If I knew how to post such quality pics like yours, I'd love to have done it for reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #25
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Very nice setup, I would be very happy with that look for the Winter. Good Job!

Tire Rack is really a good company and they believe in fast customer service.

It is sad though when you see what salt and Winter driving does to the underside of vehicles. I have always thought it might be better to drive something not so nice, during the periods when salt could be on the roads. I cringe sometimes when I watch TV shows that show vehicles that have been driven in salt. At 10 years old, a vehicle can look 20 or more years old underneath due to the massive corrosion caused by salt.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #26
Burgh
XDrive50i ordered May 23rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black X6 50i

Anteater, Can you tell me who you dealt with at Tirerack...???

Burgh
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh View Post
Anteater, Can you tell me who you dealt with at Tirerack...???

Burgh
Sure - I dealt with Mason (mason@tirerack.com) - a good guy and really helpful.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #28
Burgh
XDrive50i ordered May 23rd
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black X6 50i

Anteater, thank you a ton...! I'll let you know how things go. FYI, complete white out here in Pittsburgh from the lake effect snow off Lake Erie..!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #29
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

Anyone hear driving their X6's on the stock, 19" all-season RFTs? I got the sport package but stuck with the standard tires strictly because of the weather concerns here in Cleveland. I second what Burgh is talking about, off/on all week long.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #30
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Hi drrosnrosn:
I'm running the same 19" all seasons down here in NC where we hardly get any snow but I'm wondering how they will do if I venture up north in the winter. Please let me know how they work for you when you do get a chance to play in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #31
JoeD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0 Sport Pkg

Kojak,

I have had my X6 5.0 for a couple of weeks now; ordered sport package with the 19" all season run flats because I thought I would be OK in Michigan winters with those tires and X-drive.

Well, we just got dumped on pretty good- not a blizzard or anything but 3-4 inches of snow this afternoon and I have to say I am now shopping for a set of snow tires / wheels (hence coming across this thread!) The car slipped and slid more than I expected it to, especially considering how heavy and wide it is. Nothing I couldn't control, but I have to drive this vehicle every day to and from work and don't want to worry about it.

Also, the 19" sport package tires are still pretty low profile, and I don't want to lose a tire and / or rim in a monster Michigan pot hole. This is why I traded in my 550i for the X6, but it's not really as much an SUV as it is a jacked up sedan.

Don't get me wrong- I love the car, but I'm not sure it's all that more practical than my 5 series with a set of blizzacs for winter.

Thanks everyone else for the lead on TireRack; will call them tomorrow...!

JD
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #32
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

yes,as you americans love to say "there is no displacement like replacement",so winter tires are only solution for snow!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #33
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Thanks, JoeD - that is what I was afraid you would say. On the other hand, "nothing I couldn't control" leads me to believe I could survive an occasional trip as long as I was reasonably careful.
Kojak
Appreciate 0